What's new

Reinstalling used clutch/pp/flywheel- any prep? scuff?

budget76

Thread Killer
Member Number
Loc
Hartford, CT
Going to be throwing in a good used clutch/PP/flywheel setup into my project truck. Normal style clutch nothing fancy

other than cleaning, what do you do for prep if you drop your trans and reinstall the same clutch/etc.? Scuff with 220grit?

trans won't be hard to drop, but I'd like to avoid it down the line if I can. Leaning towards just slapping it back in after some brake cleaner

If I wasn't going to pay for resurfacing, I'd hit it with some scotchbrite drill discs. Then brake clean the shit out of it.

I had a pilot bearing seize up on me and I reinstalled the 20k mile clutch on it with no issues. I did no prep, just hit the flywheel with some brake clean and bolted it back up. That was back in 2018, the clutch is still in the truck and working fine.

Last edited:
I have just use red scrubby pads on them, no tools, just trying to get it clean.
If the clutch was fine and didn't chatter and wore well, that it.

thanks, that's basically the extent i was thinking. I'll use some scotch brite and brake cleaner and call it a day

then cross my fingers it doesn't come out again:laughing:

I wire wheeled rust off a used oe replacement standard clutch on its flywheel and pressure plate and lightly sand & wire brush the clutch disc before I convert my truck from 47RE to nv4500, and proceed to push as much as 1000 ft•lb through it in its next 60k miles.

Clean and send it :smokin:

In 1996 I installed a junkyard disc in a pos with its original pp & fw, it lasted longer than the engine did.

I had a pilot bearing seize up on me and I reinstalled the 20k mile clutch on it with no issues. I did no prep, just hit the flywheel with some brake clean and bolted it back up. That was back in 2018.
This. If it was good when it came out it'll be good when it goes back in.

I never touch a flywheel unless it's fucked up to begin with.

Top Back Refresh