What's new

refried beans - simple and easy

Member Number
Loc
socal
2lbs of beans will feed our family of 5 2-3 times. left over beans get put in a container and put in the freezer. pull em out, leave on the counter to defrost during the day and you got a simple and easy way meal.

2lbs of pinto beans, in a bowl of water to soak over night. usually do about 1" over the top of them
1641841127191.png

1641841151160.png

put them in the crock pot with 1" of water over them in the morning.
cover the water in onion powder
1641841216586.png

garlic powder
1641841253111.png

salt
1641841280900.png

stir
1641841329166.png

cover. set on low and let it do its thing for the day. after about 8hrs or so you should be able to eat them. typically for us its pushing 12 since it cooks while we are at work
1641841452078.png

1641841359291.png

house smells good, beans have swollen and there is less water
1641841531397.png

i move all the beans to one side, making a pool on the other. this allows me to scoop out the juice to achieve desired consistency. i am not a fancy of runny beans so i get almost all the juice out but dont throw it out incase i need to thin em out.
1641841652171.png

Last edited:
now smash em
1641841706525.png

this is the key to this endeavor. chorizo from stater brothers. this an local market chain that has lean chorizo
1641841741605.png

brown chorizo and dump in (notice the pan)
1641842010205.png

stir in. note that the chorizo will thicken up the beans, so if the get to thick dump in some juice to thin them out.
1641842046018.png

enjoy
1641842072873.png

Attachments

• 1641841978249.png
    1641841978249.png
    1 MB · Views: 7
Gonna have to give this one a try. GF and I both love us some refried once a week or so.

if you want them extra creamy and a fast track to heart disease stir in some manteca aka lard.
C4A1BD1D-458E-49B5-8813-6FAFBAEFA099.jpeg

I really need to start a hunt for a good LEAN Chorizo
growing up all ive eaten was that chorizo and could never figure out why people complained about greasy chorizo. while living with my cousins they made something with chorizo from a tube (didnt know it existed and i was in my mid 20s) and it all made sense at that point.

Lockeford meats maybe?
Lockeford meats is on my “To do” list, a coworker told me about the place. It sounds amazing.

I haven’t looked for chorizo at Swingles meats (Martel Ca.), but I will on my next trip to Jackson. They have spicy pickled garlic there too :smokin:
There is a small butcher shop in Folsom I need to check out too :homer:

Lockeford meats is on my “To do” list, a coworker told me about the place. It sounds amazing.

I haven’t looked for chorizo at Swingles meats (Martel Ca.), but I will on my next trip to Jackson. They have spicy pickled garlic there too :smokin:
There is a small butcher shop in Folsom I need to check out too :homer:
If you live where I think you do Lockeford is probably the same distance as Swingles and both are worth it.
Where at in Folsom?
Ever since Longhorns closed the only place around here I know of is in Roseville.

They look awesome. For a newb do you just eat this as is in a bowl or do they go with something else?

im not even sure how to respond to this question :confused:
Well give it a shot would yah, do you eat this by itself in a bowl or with rice, cornbread, tacos?
We eat refried beans with rice and on Mexican food dishes, we have regular pinto beans to eat stand alone not refried.

Well give it a shot would yah, do you eat this by itself in a bowl or with rice, cornbread, tacos?
We eat refried beans with rice and on Mexican food dishes, we have regular pinto beans to eat stand alone not refried.

75% of the time these get used for bean and cheese burritos a simple easy meal for the end of the week or when thewife or i have to work late. the other 20% they get added to the mix for dinner (chili verde, enchiladas, or chicken mole) 4% they get used for nachos, 1% they just get eaten from a bowl.

e7ebd9fe-7106-47b1-8318-fc100ca6d452-jpeg.jpg

75% of the time these get used for bean and cheese burritos a simple easy meal for the end of the week or when thewife or i have to work late. the other 20% they get added to the mix for dinner (chili verde, enchiladas, or chicken mole) 4% they get used for nachos, 1% they just get eaten from a bowl.
Awesome, they look excellent I'm gonna have to try this out.
We always get refried beans out of a can and you guessed it they suck.

if you want them extra creamy and a fast track to heart disease stir in some manteca aka lard.
Do you fry the beans in the lard or just mix it in?

I have fried mine in the lard (usually bacon grease) since I saw my friend's mexican ex wife doing it, actually she mashed the beans in the lard which makes a fuckin mess:lmao:. Super creamy and rich and you get little crispy bits.

i just mix it in

never actually fried them, may have to ask my grandma what is involved in that. she cooks heres on the stove old school style
That is the way my Mexican co-worker described it but I have not tried that.

i just mix it in

never actually fried them, may have to ask my grandma what is involved in that. she cooks heres on the stove old school style
As simple as it sounds, just heat up a few tablespoons in a pan or skillet and drop your bean mush in. Let it crisp up and flip a few times and then you just mix it all together. Can't really go wrong just don't burn them.

It would be a great way to heat up beans you have already made, easy enough to try it on your next burrito. I do it with canned refried beans too and it makes them 10X better.

We grow about 500 acres a year of dry beans.

We sell them ourselves mainly to Mexican restaurants all throughout the western states.
Cranberry (as you have there), and canary, the yellow ones.

I’ve never cooked them. May have to try now.

We grow about 500 acres a year of dry beans.

We sell them ourselves mainly to Mexican restaurants all throughout the western states.
Cranberry (as you have there), and canary, the yellow ones.

I’ve never cooked them. May have to try now.

youve never cooked what you grow?

when is the season and can i buy some?

youve never cooked what you grow?

when is the season and can i buy some?
Oh I eat them, just one of 2 ways.

1) fresh, green uncooked. I love them this way but don’t eat too many 💣.

2) I frequent the many restaurants we supply and buy them back.

Besides that, my wife is Irish. We eat potatoes.

Last edited:
Top Back Refresh