What's new

Recommendations in Moab next week

DirtRoads

Uninformed
Member Number
Loc
Memphis 10
Sometime back in June, I knocked up my wife. Which is pretty cool.

Before we are confined to home life for a bit, we decided to burn some of our banked (thanks corona) PTO next week to spend a few days out a better part of the country. We are flying into SLC on Saturday, picking up our rental Joop Rubricon at the airport and headed direct to Moab that afternoon.

I am bringing along my mountain bike and all of our provisions for day hikes and sightseeing. Having been to Moab one and a half times before, I have a vague idea of what we want to do but am looking for suggestions. We have done most of the popular hikes in Arches, been to Deadhorse Point, and ran some trails around Hell's revenge.

1. Recommendations for day hikes? We have the capability to get anywhere in Canyonlands with the Joop and would love to find some of the lesser known spots. Wife loves to hike but she is a flatlander with a baby in her so we've got to stick to the easier side of things with higher reward if possible.

2. Recommendations for riding on two wheels? I'm not sure how much time I'll get, but I want to make it count.

3. Scenic drives/mild wheeling. White rim road? We have authorization to wheel the jeep (rented through Turo) but "nothing too extreme" according to the owner. I think it's on 35's with no winch or recovery gear. Definitely don't want to get stranded. I'm mostly expecting to do a few of these based on her current energy level.

4. What do we need to do that we haven't thought of? The last time we were there, I had my Samurai with me en route on an unexpected move back from Cedar City after a layoff in about 2012. We both ended up sick with some nasty cold and it was a struggle to have a good time. We're looking to correct that this time.

Hell's revenge is a great fairly mild trail. Don't let the name fool you. Also fins n things.

Edit. Both are good for 2 or 4 wheels

Edit again: Moab brewery is a great place to eat and has "real" beer as well

Last edited:
Hell's revenge is a great fairly mild trail. Don't let the name fool you. Also fins n things.

Edit. Both are good for 2 or 4 wheels

Edit again: Moab brewery is a great place to eat and has "real" beer as well

Yeah we ran them both last time and had a good time. Would do them again but also looking at other options

The wife and I did parts of the old pony express route (Moab to SLC) when we were there. It's fairly desolate, but absolutely beautiful.

Check out onion Creek just outside of town. Good hiking out there. Not much wheeling though, but good flat scenic bike trails

I’d hit the food truck park for lunch. I had a philly cheese steak sandwich somewhere there that was pretty good. Moab Brewery was decent but nothing super special.

have you done Top of the World? Hell of a bumpy ride for the pregnant wife but might be worth the view at the top.

I’d hit the food truck park for lunch. I had a philly cheese steak sandwich somewhere there that was pretty good. Moab Brewery was decent but nothing super special.

have you done Top of the World? Hell of a bumpy ride for the pregnant wife but might be worth the view at the top.

Have not. Doable in a rental?

3. Scenic drives/mild wheeling. White rim road? We have authorization to wheel the jeep (rented through Turo) but "nothing too extreme" according to the owner. I think it's on 35's with no winch or recovery gear. Definitely don't want to get stranded. I'm mostly expecting to do a few of these based on her current energy level.

White Rim Rd is a great scenic trip, but absolutely plan for that to be your entire day. You can head past Gemini Bridges on the way, which has a bit of walking around to see the cool parts, but mostly flat. Round trip from town will be about 7-8 hours and ~150 miles not including any time you spend hiking or taking photos. There's only one part that's mildly technical rocks but nothing a Rubicon can't handle; the rest of it is all just dirt road and some pretty gnarly switchbacks. If you come in on the north side after Gemini there's a mine not far from where the trail begins that's kinda cool to explore.

I'm glad we did it but you'll be pretty whooped by the end of the day. Definitely some awesome remote scenery and vistas along the way.

white rim.jpg

Maybe a few sidewalks and McDonalds. I think they have bike racks.... :smokin:
I know; I am an asshole.! :flipoff2:

Amassa Back for two wheels if you're looking for an awesome quick ride five minutes from town.

Maybe a few sidewalks and McDonalds. I think they have bike racks.... :smokin:
I know; I am an asshole.! :flipoff2:

Yeah yeah :laughing:. If I could tow my samurai out there and wheel all week, I'd do it. This is a solid alternate that puts me in two on two of the countries best mountain bike trails within a month :smokin:

Amassa Back for two wheels if you're looking for an awesome quick ride five minutes from town.

Excellent. Got any more?

White Rim Rd is a great scenic trip, but absolutely plan for that to be your entire day. You can head past Gemini Bridges on the way, which has a bit of walking around to see the cool parts, but mostly flat. Round trip from town will be about 7-8 hours and ~150 miles not including any time you spend hiking or taking photos. There's only one part that's mildly technical rocks but nothing a Rubicon can't handle; the rest of it is all just dirt road and some pretty gnarly switchbacks. If you come in on the north side after Gemini there's a mine not far from where the trail begins that's kinda cool to explore.

I'm glad we did it but you'll be pretty whooped by the end of the day. Definitely some awesome remote scenery and vistas along the way.

So we drove part of it when we were there last time but there was a fresh rock slide that turned us around. We'll see I guess

Last edited:
Mag 7 is a fun area on the bike. Brand Trails were ok IMO. Snowed some this week, so I’m going to guess Whole Enchillada shuttles aren’t near the top, I’d pass unless getting to the highest 2 points.

Depending on your travel setup, consider renting a bike in Moab. I just know the travel box I had was such a pain and the shops have some quality options.

7 Mile Rim is one of my go-to 4wd trails in the moderate level. Not sure how the rental will take it.

Mag 7 is a fun area on the bike. Brand Trails were ok IMO. Snowed some this week, so I’m going to guess Whole Enchillada shuttles aren’t near the top, I’d pass unless getting to the highest 2 points.

Depending on your travel setup, consider renting a bike in Moab. I just know the travel box I had was such a pain and the shops have some quality options.

7 Mile Rim is one of my go-to 4wd trails in the moderate level. Not sure how the rental will take it.

I was wondering about that. Haven't called about a shuttle, been waiting to see how the weather clears up. Maybe something will happen later in the week. Is there a cutoff when you would say it's not worth the shuttle and only riding part of the enchilada? :laughing:

Travel setup is pretty decent. Borrowed a bag from a friend and plan to check it. It's worth it for me to have my own stuff and be able to jump on it and go.

I'll look into 7 mile rim, thanks.

I was wondering about that. Haven't called about a shuttle, been waiting to see how the weather clears up. Maybe something will happen later in the week. Is there a cutoff when you would say it's not worth the shuttle and only riding part of the enchilada? :laughing:

Travel setup is pretty decent. Borrowed a bag from a friend and plan to check it. It's worth it for me to have my own stuff and be able to jump on it and go.

I'll look into 7 mile rim, thanks.

I've only done WE once and we were able to get to Hazzard (second highest dropoff). It was a blast from there, even with a cold stiff breeze in early October. I'd love to get to go from Burro at some point.
That was also before the Kokopelli updates a couple years ago. But it's a lot of dirt until you get to UPS/LPS, so drying times are a question mark.
So given my personal preferences, Hazzard or Burro make it worth while so you get high elevation alpine, then the UPS/LPS near but not on the rim techy rocks. After LPS, it turns into double track slickrock/chunk until you drop off Porcupine Rim which was fun, but too sketchy for me to ride a bunch. So I prefer getting the payoff early and surviving that section instead of starting barely above the Rim and getting into that even earlier.

The Mag 7 system give 3 major options to finish, circle back to run more laps, Gemini Bridges Rd (ugh) or dropping Portal Trail (outside my paygrade when solo). The upper trails of the system seem to handle weather well, are a blast to carve turns and canyon edges without a bunch of effort for the payoff. I'd totally try to get a couple laps in if I hit them again.

The only time I traveled with a bike, was with a huuuuge box that almost didn't fit in the "SUV" rental (aka Chevy HHR), so I'm jaded and also know how small my JLUR would get with a bikebox inside. Bags have changed that game.
I was also still on a hardtail my first Moab trip, so renting a 6" travel 27.5 bike that was built for the pounding on WE was worth it.

Of course Slickrock Trail is iconic and a complete change from anything you've done in the SE (grew up there personally). But I hope you've got more fitness than I've had for years cause it's STEEP. The practice loop is a nice sample though.

7 Mile Rim
Fins and Things
Potash Rd/Shafer Switchbacks

I've only done WE once and we were able to get to Hazzard (second highest dropoff). It was a blast from there, even with a cold stiff breeze in early October. I'd love to get to go from Burro at some point.
That was also before the Kokopelli updates a couple years ago. But it's a lot of dirt until you get to UPS/LPS, so drying times are a question mark.
So given my personal preferences, Hazzard or Burro make it worth while so you get high elevation alpine, then the UPS/LPS near but not on the rim techy rocks. After LPS, it turns into double track slickrock/chunk until you drop off Porcupine Rim which was fun, but too sketchy for me to ride a bunch. So I prefer getting the payoff early and surviving that section instead of starting barely above the Rim and getting into that even earlier.

The Mag 7 system give 3 major options to finish, circle back to run more laps, Gemini Bridges Rd (ugh) or dropping Portal Trail (outside my paygrade when solo). The upper trails of the system seem to handle weather well, are a blast to carve turns and canyon edges without a bunch of effort for the payoff. I'd totally try to get a couple laps in if I hit them again.

The only time I traveled with a bike, was with a huuuuge box that almost didn't fit in the "SUV" rental (aka Chevy HHR), so I'm jaded and also know how small my JLUR would get with a bikebox inside. Bags have changed that game.
I was also still on a hardtail my first Moab trip, so renting a 6" travel 27.5 bike that was built for the pounding on WE was worth it.

Of course Slickrock Trail is iconic and a complete change from anything you've done in the SE (grew up there personally). But I hope you've got more fitness than I've had for years cause it's STEEP. The practice loop is a nice sample though.

7 Mile Rim
Fins and Things
Potash Rd/Shafer Switchbacks

Excellent info

It's a 27.5 carbon specialized with like 150/140ish travel. It should be plenty, it does fine in the rocks in Arkansas. Fitness is pretty decent but it's hard to train for hills and altitude in fucking memphis :laughing:.

My wife and I want to do a similar trip next year. Watching this thread.

Since so many are replying, I guess would ask this question: would it be better to drag my buggy out behind my truck/camper and wheel my buggy....or.....fly out and rent a jeep like the op?

I would like to see the best / most difficult trails out there, can that be done in a rented rubi? If not I suppose it would be more fun for us to bring our buggy along.

Can you fill up a week out there? Maybe go see sand hollow while out there?

Since so many are replying, I guess would ask this question: would it be better to drag my buggy out behind my truck/camper and wheel my buggy....or.....fly out and rent a jeep like the op?

I would like to see the best / most difficult trails out there, can that be done in a rented rubi? If not I suppose it would be more fun for us to bring our buggy along.

Somewhat personal opinion...
I love Moab. It is totally doable in mild rigs on 35s. Sure, there are a handful of trails/optional obstacles that need more, but the bulk of what's out there isn't. If into any other recreation and/or cruising the National Parks, a week isn't enough. Seven Mile Rim, Hells Revenge, Fins & Things and others are for sure doable in a modded Moab Jeep rental (usually small lift/armor/tires compared to the airport rental). Some might be able to handle/allow Poison Spider/Golden Crack. I know there are harder than Pritchett, but seems to have gotten so limited without Area BFE.

Sand Hollow is kind of the opposite in my limited experience. There are moderate trails within and nearby, but the buggy stuff is almost endless. Also surrounded with other recreation and national parks. We are debating a relo to Cedar City if this work from home stuff doesn't stop.

Can you switch your rental to a normal car and rent a Jeep from Twisted Jeeps in Moab? That's what I'd do!

I'd also hit up elephant hill trial to the confluence of the Colorado and Green rivers. Definitely eat at Moab Brewery and get some beers, I think they let them serve up to 6% on tap now. :laughing:

Have not. Doable in a rental?
Is it a stock sport on 35s or Rubi on 35s? If Rubi definitely doable...easier than fins n things BUT LONG TEDIOUS AND BUMPY. Should be doable in a Sport with more momentum. There were a couple of harder spots but nothing we’d call crazy on 37s.

I’d skip SH and stick to Moab. Way more wheeling than you could fit in a week. We were there 3 1/2 days and hit 3 trails. Day and a half was just spent in town hanging out. You want to see the most difficult trails? I’d say drag your buggy there. Our group was locked Jeeps on 37s and hardest thing we hit was Hells Revenge and not even close to being as hard as some of the other stuff I’ve seen in videos.

Can you switch your rental to a normal car and rent a Jeep from Twisted Jeeps in Moab? That's what I'd do!

I'd also hit up elephant hill trial to the confluence of the Colorado and Green rivers. Definitely eat at Moab Brewery and get some beers, I think they let them serve up to 6% on tap now. :laughing:

I probably could but it’s late in the game and I’d essentially have to rent two cars since we are flying to SLC. It will do fine though, this isn’t exactly a “wheeling” trip anyway. Compromises and all that :laughing:. I think it has 33 or 35s on it. It’s a Turo rental, think like VRBO for your car. We went this route after a trip to Oregon where we were limited where we could go on BLM land with the car we had.

Last edited:
Top Back Refresh