What's new

Recommend me a Scope for a .270Win

Purevil71

Member Number
Loc
Indiana
Getting a .270 Win rifle for Christmas, and I'm looking for a scope for it.
Will be mainly used for deer hunting, no more than 200-300 yard shots, but also for wild pigs, and target shooting on occasion.
Looking for something budget friendly around the $200 mark because I are the poor...
Thanks in advance.

I hunt in Indiana, mostly wooded, but will occasionally hunt a corn field on family land, so 300 yards MAX.
I've been eyeballing the Vortex Diamondback, but no personal experience with them.

I read some not too good reviews on the diamondback but have no first hand experience... I bought a viper hs or something I haven't had a chance to use it and don't know enough about scopes to review it.

I bought it from midway for a pretty good price.

Get the nicest 3x9 you can find, 4x12 if you want a bit more magnification, but 3x9 is plenty.

Vortex, Burris, Nikon, maybe leupold if you can find one in budget.

(Untitled)

Get the nicest 3x9 you can find, 4x12 if you want a bit more magnification, but 3x9 is plenty.

Vortex, Burris, Nikon, maybe leupold if you can find one in budget.

Good advice above. Cameraland NY is great to work with.

https://cameralandny.com/shop/tags/riflescope/burris-fullfield-iv-2-5-10x42mm-e3-moa-illuminated/7737d300-1db6-0138-873d-00163ecd2826?variation=2731178

I’ve got 3-9’s on most of my rifles, with a couple of 4-12’s, and a 2.5-8. Mostly Leopuld and Redfield, with a couple Nikons, and one Weaver.

Most of my hunting is 300 yards or less, 12x isn’t really needed, or even 9 (but it’s nice to have the option of higher magnification some times), most of the time my scopes are set to 4 or 5x since I hunt a lot of wooded areas.

I've had a 3-9x40 Leupold VX-1 on my Winchester 70, .270 for 16+ years. I think it was $199 mounted and bore sighted at the shop I got it at way back when. I believe the VX-1 and 2 are discontinued, replaced with the VX-Freedom, which appears to be about the same price. No experience with the Freedom, but Leupold makes decent stuff.

I've got plenty of Vortex optics, I like them all, they discontinued my favorite, and their best bang for the buck Diamondback HP line up. I've got a couple different Dimaondback HPs and love them. The Diamondback still exists, but if you want side focus/parallax you've got to get up into the Diamondback Tactical or higher lines. You may not want the target turrets that come with the Tactical on a hunting scope. They offer adjustable objectives (AO) on some of their lower end Crossfire models. I've got a 4-12x50AO Crossfire on a .22 Mag that's a fine scope for no more than it cost, but I MUCH prefer the side focus to the AO.

For a hunting scope, you don't need anything fancy though, something name brand from; Vortex, Leupold, Nikon (If you can still find one), Bushnell, Burris, Weaver, etc. pick something with decent reviews, with adjustable magnification, somewhere between 3-16ish and an objective lens around 40mm, it'll be hard to go wrong.

I have Leopold on all four of my hunting rifles. Most are 20 to 30 years old, and the optics are as good as new. 3 are 3-9 magnification, one I think is 4-12. When hunting, they're all set on the lowest setting, I'll only go to the higher setting on the range.

I have a Leupold VX3 4-12x50 on my .270. I'd look at a 3-9x40 entry level Leupold in that price range if it were me. I'm to the point now that I would rather save up for semi-good quality glass then buy cheap and worry about it holding zero or holding up to hunting abuse.

3-9x40 whatever you can afford. 2-300 yards the quality of glass isn't going to be a major factor, you're using binos to ID and judge animals anyway.
Leopold if you can afford it to support made in 'murica.

I put a Leupold VX-3 3.5x10 on my 270 Win Weatherby Mark V. It's been on there for about 2 years now and I have no complaints about it at all. I do put Leupolds on all my rifles and prefer to buy a good scope (IMO) that's also made in the U.S.A.

I've had a lightweight 2-7x Leupold VX2 on my Featherweight Winchester 270 for at least 10 years. It hasn't moved point of impact since I sighted it in.

I ended up getting a Nikon 3-9×40 MK1-MRAD, regularly $199 but I picked it up for $150.
Mounted it up, but not had a chance to shoot yet.
Thanks for all the suggestions!!

Top Back Refresh