What's new

Recommend me a rock crawler

cervelorod

Member Number
Loc
Near the sand dunes
Not a newbie to RC in general, but been out of it for awhile. Spent some time at a RV this last weekend and watched a couple of guys running some 1/10 scale on the rock piles. Looked like fun around the campsite after the Rzr is put away and the adult beverages start flowing. Looked at some kits and there are a lot of choices. Give me some ideas where to start. I like to tinker and definitely want something that can be upgraded down the road. I see it mainly being an around the campground basher and maybe a grandkid or two will get some time with it, and probably the 1/10 scale is the size I’d like.

I have quite a few and the Axial scx10 ii and Capra are my favorite. Both are pretty solid out the box and hold up really well. Also recommend a good set of tires

Another vote for the Capra, although I think it's only available in 4 wheel steer version now. Pretty impressive right out of the box, tons of aftermarket support for all kinds of upgrades, and so far, pretty tough to break.

An axial scx24 is just as upgradable as an sc10. The difference is scale including cost. The 1/24 scale needs smaller rocks to make stuff hard, and they cost less to fix/repair. You could easily get into it $700 if you wanted to.

I picked up a used Capra with tx for $300. It isn’t rear steer, but it included another steer axle to put in the back. It has aluminum axles, but it doesn’t have the dig transmission. Also included a 4800 lipo battery. Figured it was a pretty good deal to start with. Now I have to learn another language of all the things for this. The cat doesn’t like my purchase already…

cervelorod charge your battery at 4.8 (5) amps so it doesn’t blow up. That’s 1C and it’s considered safe. Amazon has plenty of Chinese LiPo batteries if you don’t have to have the coolest Gens Ace battery made popular at AxialFest and YouTube.

I have a capra that is a ton of fun. Mostly stock other that I broke a rear housing on a bad tumble and obviously had to add 4ws :laughing: I was into rc crawlers before the ax10 was released and the had an ax10 for years. It's crazy what these capra's will do out of the box compared to our super modified ax10s.

My 3 boys each have an scx24 and although they are fun, they are pretty unreliable compared to the 10th scale stuff. Luckily they are very cheap to fix.

I tried to find some granite places to crawl on my property this weekend, but it was too hot. Went swimming at Granite Lake, and the side there looked pretty promising, but I’m gonna wait until it cools down a bit. Picked up a scx24, but it gets hung up on the vines at our campsite. I did throw some firewood in a random pile and “crawled” around the fire pit some. Headed back up there the next few weekends and hopefully can scope out some rocks. Have you been to the RC place near Garwood? Probably just an off-road park, but maybe fun to run around..

I tried to find some granite places to crawl on my property this weekend, but it was too hot. Went swimming at Granite Lake, and the side there looked pretty promising, but I’m gonna wait until it cools down a bit. Picked up a scx24, but it gets hung up on the vines at our campsite. I did throw some firewood in a random pile and “crawled” around the fire pit some. Headed back up there the next few weekends and hopefully can scope out some rocks. Have you been to the RC place near Garwood? Probably just an off-road park, but maybe fun to run around..

You in north Idaho? I haven't done almost anything up here rc related.

Can anyone comment on the vanquish VS4-10 Phoenix with portals?

Thinking about getting my oldest a 10th scale for his 12th birthday. I really want a kit so he can see how everything goes together, add his own paint, ect. I have some ok-ish electronics laying around to get him started.

I'd probably do another capra to keep parts the same, but they discontinued the kit :homer: also might be fun having them be different.

I'd like to have something similar capability to the capra, so the giant full body scx10s are out. My buddy did this and his kid would get frustrated trying to follow and they ended up trading anyway.

Kits seem to be pretty limited, any other ones that would be similar capability?

Agreed, on vanquish being great. I picked up a stance rtr aa few months ago. Has been flawless. I just scored an optic on tof too.
20240819_100953.jpg

My capra kit will be getting finished soon.

Top Back Refresh