What's new

Recommend me a minimum fender to tire clearance

Lil'John

Former #278
Member Number
Loc
Walking to the Rubicon
Title basically states it. Seems fairly newbie.

Here is a picture to help identify what I'm looking for:
1-MinTireClearance.jpg

How much room would you give the front or rear edge of the tire to the fender opening? I will probably end up with about 7" above the tire.

Rig shown in picture isn't what I'm concerned with. 35s in the above opening work well.

Enough? :confused:

Trail rig or street queen?

I'm curious if you're talking looks or what because, I don't see how there is a magic number functionally, either they rub or they dont.
Fair enough:laughing:

My concern is coming up with some minimal clearance(1/2") 'fender opening' and finding out that in use the tire spins to a much larger diameter.

The rig in question is going to be a 'clean' trail rig. It is going to be rattle can spray paint. Ultimately, the rig will be hitting Rubicon, Fordyce, and Hell Hole so maybe body damage. But ideally, I'd rather not have a cottage cheese rig:lmao:

For the fender openings, I'm trying for something that looks more like a stock opening(bubble lip like the picture) rather than some hacked out body saw opening:emb: I'm going so far as to think about something like 1" solid rod pushed through a ring roller with some extra steps.

So, if I guessed my minimal clearance wrong, it would be an expensive mistake(material plus paying for someone to ring roller it) I could just do the upper clearance all the way around but that just looks a bit weird especially at 7".

Is that an Iron Pig?

I’d cut it just where you marked. Unless you’re going to a much bigger tire at which point I’d want to be able to place my fist between the tire and the body at ride height.

Attachments

• IMG_9768.jpeg
    IMG_9768.jpeg
    134.1 KB · Views: 22
Minimum clearance would be 1/32" lol
I would flex it out and bring string/marker for trimming guide
I like the way you think... bare minimum. Aside from the height in the picture above, I like the clearance around the tire.
I thought I was on a Facebook group.

Then I thought it was Tuesday.
Glad I posted in the permanent Tuesday forum of Newbie Tech:homer: The reason I'm asking this question is I have concerns over tire spin up increasing the diameter of the tire... like a top fuel dragster but maybe not to that level extreme. As noted, I'm doing fancy body work so doing static cutting could get expensive if I have to do it twice.
Is that an Iron Pig?

I’d cut it just where you marked. Unless you’re going to a much bigger tire at which point I’d want to be able to place my fist between the tire and the body at ride height.
Good eye. Yes, the example picture is an FJ55. That FJ55 is at 35" and staying there. So far, it has zero rub at full flex in the rear. Minor issue up front:emb:

The target rig is going a few sizes bigger since I'm not very bright:lmao:
Full stuff +1"
Cycle the suspension to full articulation. Cut anything that hits. Add a little more clearance, let's call it an inch.
Sounds like three say 1" is what I should shoot for. The mild issue I have is ZERO ability to mount the tires before cutting body up. The rig will be losing inner fender as well as outer. The reconstructed inner fender will be Jeep/FJ40 style flat top and sides for full length.

if your tires don't rub, then you need bigger tires.
At about 43", I'm running out of upgrades:flipoff2:

I'm not sure why I want a set of those just to do burnouts with:homer::lmao:

I was going to take a piece of string, a pen, and a magnet to mark out where I think the opening needs to be. The bitch is going to be having to fab up an inner fender to keep the body mostly rigid before cutting the outside apart.

I'm not sure why I want a set of those just to do burnouts with:homer::lmao:

I was going to take a piece of string, a pen, and a magnet to mark out where I think the opening needs to be. The bitch is going to be having to fab up an inner fender to keep the body mostly rigid before cutting the outside apart.

You really won't know where the tire ends up until you cycle the suspension and steer lock to lock at full stuff.

Unless this isn't a wheeler... Then just do what looks good.

What tire will you be running?
What suspension?
How will you drive the truck?
Have any pics of the actual truck?

You really won't know where the tire ends up until you cycle the suspension and steer lock to lock at full stuff.

Unless this isn't a wheeler... Then just do what looks good.

What tire will you be running?
What suspension?
How will you drive the truck?
Have any pics of the actual truck?
VERY true in the first line. I'm actually not too worried on the front. I can mount the tire and guess from there since I can pull fender completely off.

I will call it a "looks reasonable" wheeler. It isn't going to be a show truck. It will get a Rustoleum paint job.

It will do Rubicon, Fordyce, etc that are near me. I wheel sane on difficult trails. No hold my beer and what this type behavior. But I know wheeling difficult trails does bring a risk of damage.

Tire is going to be 43x14.5 TSL SX for now. I may downsize once I burn them up.

Suspension is leaf sprung. Shooting for sprung under:eek:

No pictures of rig handy... but I'm in no mood to deal with typical Irate bullshit on it.:emb:

VERY true in the first line. I'm actually not too worried on the front. I can mount the tire and guess from there since I can pull fender completely off.

I will call it a "looks reasonable" wheeler. It isn't going to be a show truck. It will get a Rustoleum paint job.

It will do Rubicon, Fordyce, etc that are near me. I wheel sane on difficult trails. No hold my beer and what this type behavior. But I know wheeling difficult trails does bring a risk of damage.

Tire is going to be 43x14.5 TSL SX for now. I may downsize once I burn them up.

Suspension is leaf sprung. Shooting for sprung under:eek:

No pictures of rig handy... but I'm in no mood to deal with typical Irate bullshit on it.:emb:

Dude... You're putting 43s on a Pig. I doubt anyone will give you much shit, that sounds badass.

Ride height is going to dictate everything. Are you willing to tub the rear wheelwells? And chop into the rear doors? If not, this bitch is going to be TALL.

Top Back Refresh