What's new

Recommend a good battery...

Walmart battery. They are everywhere.

The only dual post option not on indefinite backorder was optima at $201ea

Rated at 800cca 3 year free replacement warranty

Bought from advance auto, new to town

I had the counter guy test tube ccas with his midtronics tester, 1099 and 1075, impressive:smokin:

I'll update this in a couple years, if the zombie apocalypse has web....

Now I need to look up those magic tricks to see if I can bring back these 7yo diehard agm bats...

Thanx...
Yea me to..
I can get away with a group 34 agm.
Gunna pull some dimensions and start cold calling mfg's monday:beer:

Anyone have any tricks for bringing an AGM back to life? I have two Duralast "Platinum AGM" batteries that came with a rig I bought a couple years ago. They were both dead when I got it and the PO gave me his number and I was able to warranty them at Advance. I only put one back in and it lasted a couple years and was completely dead and wouldn't take a chage. Put the other in a couple months ago and was fine for a run, but let the truck sit too long without a maintainer and now it's completely dead and won't charge it all too. They're well out of warranty now.

I bought a Noco Genius charger and tried that, including trying to charge it in parallel with another good battery but no luck.

Any tricks to bring $400 worth of batteries back to life?
Late to the party... Have had good results with DIGITAL 400

I did some legwork on Wal-Mart batteries

they have 3 tiers of flooded, and then an agm

I specifically looked at group 65

the "korean" or any " 'Stan. " battery is junk, it may or may not have the red/green electrolyte eye

the "made in Mexico " batteries, group 65, are identical weight, identical case markings, are stamped 650 700cca depending on "grade"

Using the midtronics super duper computer analyzer, all three of these batteries put out 880-900cca. Consistently. These batteries also have "jcha" in the serial number. I've tested maybe a dozen of these batteries, bought 5 myself, and am confident that this is a top shelf Johnson Controls battery being sold with 3 different warranties for 3 different prices.

$55, 75, 94

Now, if you get mathy about it, and keep the vehicle for three long haul, and warranty the $94 battery at the end of its free replacement period, you will get the most months per dollar.

But, if you need your 7.3 to start now, and don't want to play warranty games, you can get the same battery for $55

*I verified that the $55 korean battery, on the same shelf, with the same sticker, barely made rated capacity

Next up the "platinum " "gel " battery, in group 24, also appears to be the top shelf Johnson controls that is sold under a hundred different labels. I didn't crawl as far down that rabbit hole, just enough to satisfy my curiosity and get one for my DD so i don't worry about corroded cables. I got spoiled with the AGMs in my tow rig

*attached is a picture of the readout on a $55 group 65

photo17165.jpg

All good things must come to an end...

The group 65 battery was stickered at 650cca and consistently tested at 895cca plus. Now they are made in south Korea and test at 774-5cca

I'm still buying them for beater trucks, grudgingly

Reactions: DMG
Five Excide AGM batteries have shit the bed and my battery charger won't revive them. Also tried "a bit above crotch height" drop onto concrete along with 'tandem with another rig' attempts. Two for one rig, one for the plow, one for the Mustang, and one for the S10---> FJ40. Main interest is Group 34.

So now I'm trying to track down something semi-good and good price.

Who is the AGM battery to get that isn't $500? I probably won't worry about AGM for Mustang.

Deka 9A48

I have a couple years on it in the JKU, no complaints. I haven't had it long enough or used it hard enough to say it's better than the O'reilly AGMs I used to run, but it is cheaper and the Deka brand has a good reputation.

Just threw a pair of these in my 2017 Cummins from Wally World.

EverStart Platinum AGM Automotive Battery, Group Size H7 12 Volt 850 CCA​

$179.84

Cheapest H7 AGM out there with a 4 year warranty. Just made the switch from the NAPA AGM equivalent which is 249.00. We’ll see how they last.

The X2 Power in my crawler is still going strong 7 years later. I do put the trickle charger on it if it sits for more than a month or 2.

Last edited:
IMG_4687.jpeg

Any recommendations on 4 6v pallet jack batteries? Not looking to dump $800 on something that might take 6 months to sell.

Top Back Refresh