What's new

Rebuilding two of my floor jacks

Landslide

Red Skull Member
Member Number
So, I have a 2 ton walker (branded Lincoln I think) floor jack I bought new 20 something years ago and a 80’s Sears 1-1/2 ton I bought new back in the day. The walker is USA made and the Sears is made in Japan. Both are rebuildable and have kits available on amazon

I’m starting on the Walker first as it won’t do anything anymore and I can still use my Sears one to a degree is needed.

There are videos on YouTube that show pretty good process on rebuilding them. There’s really not much to it once you dig into the workings of them. No instructions come in the rebuild kits.

I got my Walker jack apart and in the reassembly phase now. The main issue with these jacks is the piston packing seal just falls apart over time. Mine was cracked and while removing it came apart in pieces. Most everything else looked good.

I don’t abuse my jacks like leaving them outside in the rain or power washing stuff off on the jack or washing the jack type stuff. So there’s not much clean up or restoration needed.

There’s a large 1-3/4” hex nut on the threaded cap that holds the fluid reservoir and piston bore hole with wiper seal. I got it off with a big wrench and dead blow hammer but can’t use this for assembly. So I ordered a never used Snap on 1-3/4” impact socket off of eBay for $30. It’ll match all the rest of my impact sockets I bought from snap on 30 plus years ago, just don’t have one this large.

I went out and bought new hydraulic floor jack oil for the rebuilds. I wanted the correct viscosity oil for the jacks.

Waiting on the socket and then finish assembly on the walker jack.

IMG_2951.jpeg

I have a couple I need to rebuild sometime soon. A HF 3 tonner and an old napa 2 ton unit.

My only issue is the cost of the damn rebuild kits. I think I'll just tear them down and measure and order the seals from

The O-Ring Store LLC, We make getting O-Rings easy!

rather than buy a kit. There's probably a whopping $10 worth of seals in one and I ain't gonna pay some schmuck $50 for a kit that will more than likely be wrong anyways! :laughing:

So yeah I'll have a couple jacks torn down and wasting work space in my shop for 2 weeks while the seals come in. So goes life.

Well, I can’t say o-rings are the issue really as the walker I took apart had a pusher seal bad. Not sure how you measure correctly for that as you couldn’t take measurements from the old one. Maybe the piston boss and cylinder bore. That imo is too much aggravation to me. Not to mention trying to find the pump piston seals that would work.

So far the kit I bought for my walker is correct and it comes with parts other than what my model takes. I don’t know about my sears Japanese made jack kit yet but I don’t see why it wouldn’t work for it.

I’m not sure but I guess you can rebuild China jacks made today but I know no hydraulic repair shop will touch them.

My big socket supposed to show up today. If so, I’ll finish reassembling it and see how well my first hydraulic floor jack rebuild works out.

I’ll look at the pusher seal and see if there’s a part number cast into it. Non of the other seals do I know that.

Usually you just need the bore ID, and the rod features to determine the packing.
I've got to wear I don't mind paying the $50 if it shows up at my door and I don't spend any time having to find the shit.

A local hydraulic shop that stocks seals can usually match the shit on the spot with same or better stuff.

The two jacks I need to rebuild are China/Craftsman aluminum. They both leak down, not real fast but depending on weight you you have to get the stand in there pretty quickly.

I bought one of those overpriced seal kits, had the jack apart three times in the process, lost a check ball along the way, those seem to be important. Walk of shame into HF for a new floor jack that was only twice the price of the seal kit.

Can you get away with buying an assorted viton o-ring kit? Or do you need the Teflon seals or something. Seems like it'd be difficult to find a rebuild kit for every random jack model out there.

P# for the Lincoln kit? Had mine done in 2004 cost me $80 :lmao: If the pump bypass valve is adjustable I think the guy was conservative in setting it.

Well, I can’t say o-rings are the issue really as the walker I took apart had a pusher seal bad. Not sure how you measure correctly for that as you couldn’t take measurements from the old one. Maybe the piston boss and cylinder bore. That imo is too much aggravation to me. Not to mention trying to find the pump piston seals that would work.

That link I put above doesn't just sell o-rings they also sell hydraulic seals as well.

Can you get away with buying an assorted viton o-ring kit? Or do you need the Teflon seals or something. Seems like it'd be difficult to find a rebuild kit for every random jack model out there.

More than likely it will be a u cup seal or similar on the ram itself that shit the bed.

I order all kinds of seal kits from the O-Ring Store that you linked; I even put together the rebuild parts for my 1994 Bobcat Mini Excavator for overhauling the 6 spool control block and they had everything I needed.

As mentioned, you just need to get a few measurements and dig through their parts listing and build your own kits. Its really not hard if you have some patience. Its WAY cheaper than the online kits too. I learned this the hard way rebuilding my 50T shop press. I ordered a kit, it showed up... I open it to install it and not even close to right. I email the seller and say hey, these aren't even close. They say too bad, so sad, we don't take back open kits; send us the model and dimensions and we will build you a kit. I sent it over, and they say that the kit they sold me should work and that someone must have changed the cylinder at some time. They hadn't they just had built or sent the wrong thing and didn't want to work with me on it.

So I ordered my own parts and even some spares for 1/5th of what the original kit cost.

P# for the Lincoln kit? Had mine done in 2004 cost me $80 :lmao: If the pump bypass valve is adjustable I think the guy was conservative in setting it.

I suppose to count source the individual parts yourself if you’re confident in doing that. I’m not one to bang on my chest bragging I pieced the parts out myself. Where those parts houses get you is shipping and handling cost. But I’m not dissing those that prefer to do it that way. Do a $30 seal kit with what I need to rebuild my jack is worth it to me not to mess around spending time trying to figure it out. Is the kit overpriced? Maybe, but is it worth it to you that matters.

Best way to see if there’s a kit for your jack is to google search for the jack model, tonnage and make.

I bought one of those overpriced seal kits, had the jack apart three times in the process, lost a check ball along the way, those seem to be important. Walk of shame into HF for a new floor jack that was only twice the price of the seal kit.
You bought a HF floor jack for $60? Is it like a 1/4 ton tiny jack?

The floor jacks I looked at there that have any interest in me buying are around the $300 mark.

Piston shaft push seal in my walker floor jack

There is a part number on it that I can see.

IMG_3035.jpeg
IMG_3036.jpeg
IMG_3037.jpeg

Slow going but my socket showed up today. It may be next week before I can work on this thing now.

IMG_3058.jpeg

don't go too hard on reinstalling that
I broke the nut on one of my bottle jacks with just a pipe wrench's worth of torque

Top Back Refresh