What's new

Read, then vote, unlike our elected representatives: Spinoff from rust belt thread

Perceived value vs. actual value. Which has the highest positive delta by your rankings?

• Total voters

IowaOffRoad

King shit of turd island
BRC
Member Number
Loc
Under the apple tree
The difference between perceived value and actual value is what you tell others and what you do yourself.
I know you are all gonna fanboi, but some of you may try to do this objectively:flipoff2:

I have come up with a handy rating scale:
Perceived value 1-10: 1 is "you should scrap it if one thing goes wrong" and "never buy one of those", 10 is "Shut up and take my money (Fry meme)" and "you should keep fixing it, it will always be worth $$$"
This is the advice you give other people IRL and on the interwebs

Actual value 1-10: 1 is " I wouldn't drive it if you gave me one", 10 is "I will buy this at market value and be happy to drive it forever"
This is the behavior you exhibit when spending your own money

My ratings are below:

perceivedactualdifference
toyota107-3
ranger96-3
gmt80086-2
OBS ford97-2
superduty108-2
2nd gen154
S10253
Dak242
Squarebody95-4
1711473486020.png
Yes, by my ratings, the best values are... the S10 and 2nd gen Dodge?!?
This is based on my opinions as well as those that are popular opinions on IBB.
Well, you can buy them for nothing because they are perceived to be absolute junk. They are not absolute junk and therefore have more value than the perception lets on. The big losers are toyota, ranger and squarebody, with the other popular platforms not far behind.

1711473821820.png

Premise is flawed for me but I am a special case. :flipoff2:

I have a Ranger I got free and a B4000 I paid 300 bucks for with new tires, put some miles on both, now need work which I haven't motivated to do yet. I tried them because I had 3 S10s that were less than stellar that I sold in 2 cases too late and this guy I knew swore the Ford small trucks were better, they might be a bit but not way better either
I have a 77 Full size Jimmy I paid 200 bucks for and another I got free. Same state as the Ranger and Mazda at the moment. I've swapped out engines, transmissions and axles in both already and ran them into the ground again. I have a 73 Squarebody I've just about replaced every part that moves on it at least once.
93 GMT400 (stupidass term almost as bad as OBS) I paid a lot for but less than most did I have rebuilt the trans and swapped engine in to keep going.
Had a 86 Yoyota 4wd reg cab pickup, bought for 1000, sold for 3000.
Had a lot of trucks I got free or cheap and ended up scrapping for a big profit when I lost storage.
If I decide to keep something going I can and do.
No one listens to advice anyway so I don't give any unless asked and even then I don't give a shit.:flipoff2:
My wife gets something nice, I drive whatever mostly. Got a bunch of other crap needing work too that I taunt myself with.

so, if I understand, you are trying to see which vehicle outperforms expectations?

2nd Gen Dodge only if it has a cummins. Your shipping crate is not worth 30k.

I have no loyalty to brand, I really think they all are great, and they all suck. I just want one with good climate control that is affordable.

I'd drive a pink smart car, with dildo's stuck all over it if someone else was making the payment and covering the gas.

I have no loyalty to brand, I really think they all are great, and they all suck. I just want one with good climate control that is affordable.

I'd drive a pink smart car, with dildo's stuck all over it if someone else was making the payment and covering the gas.
This is a gofundme I can get behind. Way better payout than a cat :lmao:

As much as I like Toyotas, I did not pick them, having just sold a 10 year old Taco for 20k+ solid, but you pay the Toyota tax.

Seems like Rangers are thought to be shitboxes, but I've had a couple, along with the chevy S-10, they have issues, but seem to run well, especially the v6 s-10.

I ward off anybody I know about buying modern diesels. Doesn't matter the brand. if it's got DEF I tell them to stay away. Nothing good can come of owning them long term.

Squarebodys, Toyota trucks and Early Broncos will hold value far better than most anything made in the last 30 years.

I hoestly think anything that was produced in high enough quantities to allow plenty of spare parts is going to be valuable. People aren't going to continue buying $50k throw away vehicles. $1000 taillights, and $3000 infotainment centers are going to lose their appeal when they start needing to be replaced.

Living where I live I’ll pay more for an old vehicle with no rust. Regardless of perceived or actual value.

I just overpaid for a clean GMT800 and…I don’t even care. I love the truck and it’s so simple to fix it should last me a loooooong time.

I’d overpay for a clean 1st gen Tacoma, too.

The OBS Ford I like, but don’t love enough to pay too much for it.

The rest, perceived, tree-fiddy. :flipoff2:

To explain the premise, its one of value.

Arse, for all his frothing at the mouth regarding his hatred of toyotas and his ball-gargling of Don Peterson because of the hoe he saved (project Yuma)(:flipoff2:) he does have a slight point regarding the over-valuing of Toyota's in general. The pampered nature of Toyotas (and Hondas) by their first owners (more true of the cars for sure) is true in some cases for the trucks/suvs in modern times (more post-tacoma for trucks and post FJ-80 series for SUVs) has led to them lasting longer than some of the domestics over time. His criticism of the rust (which is an across-the-board flaw of all box-frame vehicles in the rust belt, I've had the "pleasure" of fixing them all) is also valid. One of the problems he doesn't identify is that the Ford Ranger is not a superior product, but as it is the clear number 2 with regard to compact pickups it is priced accordingly. Good examples of Rangers are priced like similar mileage and condition Toyotas (probably 15% cheaper in my observations) and people think that 300k beat examples are worth what 150k pampered ones are worth (sounds alot like the Toy market to me).

Now, this also works in reverse. The S10s and 2nd gen dodges I referenced (though there are several other platforms out there like it) aren't the garbage that many would say, though the 90's Ram interiors and the 80s/90s GM interiors have a tendency to make owners angry as it's what you have to touch every. single. time. that you get in one to drive. The 700R4 and its newer variants had a failure rate about the same as the overdrive 4spd Chryco autos, but they were in vehicles with a very loyal customer base (many of the first owners of the 2nd gen were coming from something else, truck market share doubled in the mid 90's and those owners came from somewhere) so the 700r4/4L6x owners were more willing to overlook their shortcomings. This has led to, 25 years later, to be able to get a good value truck buying one vs. a similar condition GMT400/800. The S10's were fairly solid little trucks that had a Cavalier interior that seemed to never get out of the 1986 GM FWD interior build quality. You can get a clean enough S10 4X4 around here for 1/2 of a Ford Ranger and 1/3 of a Toyota minitruck and you'll probably get decent service out of it.

So, as much as we all like to fanboi about our vehicle crushes, some of y'all are friend-zoned by a high maintenance bitch who only eats lobster, some of y'all are happy to get road head from the chubby chick who will happily go to out with you for a McDouble.

Personally, I've never paid more than $500 for a Toyota 4X4 and got a lot of miles out of them. I've also never paid more than a grand for... basically anything. I buy most things broken for myself and fix it because I'm not willing to spend good money buying a depreciating asset. My best buy, and the one I paid the most for ever, was a rust free V10 5spd dodge I gave 4500 for and picked up in AZ visiting family 10 years ago. I've got very little in it that's not maintenance costs, and I could probably sell it for 50-70% more than what I paid today. This is after putting 80k miles on it in that time. Most likely sold to someone who wants to put a cummins in it:flipoff2:

Personally my Ranger has the biggest delta simply because it's been sitting 4yr despite being the only $1k+ vehicle I own.

I'd be real interested to own an 80s or 90s Hyundai, 00s Mini or 00s Altima/Sentra just to see how bad they really are. :laughing:

Top Back Refresh