What's new

Radar detectors

Squamch

Canadian
Member Number
Loc
republic of Vancouver island
Are any of these worth a shit? My commute is gonna get longer and cop-ier. Is there some other detection device I should use? Speed limit is 70-80km/hr, average speed of traffic is 100-120km/hr...never know who they'll decide to fuck that day.

Depending on population, the app "waze" has served me well as gps/cop locator. Probably more useful and accurate than a radar detector. Users post up of there's a cop, it notifies you verbally .5 miles before you get there. Obviously it's not perfect, but it is pretty damn good.

Depending on population, the app "waze" has served me well as gps/cop locator. Probably more useful and accurate than a radar detector. Users post up of there's a cop, it notifies you verbally .5 miles before you get there. Obviously it's not perfect, but it is pretty damn good.

Yeah, nowhere near reliable enough. I got picked off by some asshole with LIDAR a few weeks ago. My detector picked it up (too late obviously, as it goes with LIDAR), but there was nothing on Waze. I pick up cop RADAR all the time with nothing on Waze.

Don't get me wrong, I use and like Waze, but if I depended on it for cop detection, I'd be under the jail by now.

I've had a Valentine since the late 90's and have only got one ticket in 300,000+ miles of driving, and that was because I had the volume turned down. They have a new model which is better at rejecting all the lane avoidance radar BS that high end cars spew. I'll be trading in my V1 for the new model soon. It's all about the arrows and signal strength meter. Arrow up means it's ahead of you, if the signal strength stays constant, he's moving in the same direction you are, if the signal strength goes up steadily he's stationary, and of course if it goes up quickly he's coming at you. It also has a bogey counter that lets you know if there is more than one, (speed trap).

Yeah, nowhere near reliable enough. I got picked off by some asshole with LIDAR a few weeks ago. My detector picked it up (too late obviously, as it goes with LIDAR), but there was nothing on Waze. I pick up cop RADAR all the time with nothing on Waze.

Don't get me wrong, I use and like Waze, but if I depended on it for cop detection, I'd be under the jail by now.

I've really started wondering lately if cops don't give themselves the thumbs down/no longer there.

I've had a Valentine since the late 90's and have only got one ticket in 300,000+ miles of driving, and that was because I had the volume turned down. They have a new model which is better at rejecting all the lane avoidance radar BS that high end cars spew. I'll be trading in my V1 for the new model soon. It's all about the arrows and signal strength meter. Arrow up means it's ahead of you, if the signal strength stays constant, he's moving in the same direction you are, if the signal strength goes up steadily he's stationary, and of course if it goes up quickly he's coming at you. It also has a bogey counter that lets you know if there is more than one, (speed trap).

$499.00 ! :eek: How fast or how many times do you have to be caught to pay for that?

https://store.valentine1.com/store/item.asp?i=20020

If you drive a lot they're worth $500 without question. Costs a lot more than $500 to go back to another state for a court date, especially if you have to miss work for it.

Cost me $1200 for a lawyer a few years ago to get out of a speeding ticket for 1 mph over late at night in one of NC's bullshit fake work zones on 85. Fine for that was like $500, plus the hit to my insurance would have put it well over the cost of a radar detector. Only reason I didn't have mine was I was in a rental truck to go check on a something on a job site and had to leave my truck with one of my guys who was working somewhere else.

vinwiki youtube channel has a couple videos about what the cannonball guys use for detectors

you need to go next level and get a jammer too :smokin:

and go ultra next level and get a plane avoidance system, in case theres skybacon looking down on you

vinwiki youtube channel has a couple videos about what the cannonball guys use for detectors

and go ultra next level and get a plane avoidance system, in case theres skybacon looking down on you

th addition of the ads unit was fucking brilliant.

said as someone that got an airplane ticket recently.

I guess I don't drive enough anymore to need one. plus everytime I have owned one they seem to magnets for breakins that cost me more than the radar detector would have saved. First time was an ancient first generation, you know the 4x4 square box, picked up door openers at grocery stores, railroad crossing... my folks had in the truck, SOB broke in for it and walked away with my model 70 1911, 14 magazines and 250 rounds of ammo! Second time they both of my tool bags that time I had taken it off the dash and left it under the seat. Now days I keep it around 2 to 3 over

IIRC the latest fastest crossing by that guy that iron-manned it in the rental Mustang GT, he didn't use any spotters or jammers or such, just put the hammer down and took chances.

IIRC the latest fastest crossing by that guy that iron-manned it in the rental Mustang GT, he didn't use any spotters or jammers or such, just put the hammer down and took chances.

I think we can all agree that the covid cannonballers were given a very unique circumstance.

th addition of the ads unit was fucking brilliant.

said as someone that got an airplane ticket recently.

:laughing::laughing: we have signs for airplane monitored sections of road, but i dont think they actually use a plane in my area

i'll have to watch it again, i thought he had a detector, but ya he bare bones'd it, and then turned around, picked up his pops and set a new record for the smokey and the bandit run

:laughing::laughing: we have signs for airplane monitored sections of road, but i dont think they actually use a plane in my area

i'll have to watch it again, i thought he had a detector, but ya he bare bones'd it, and then turned around, picked up his pops and set a new record for the smokey and the bandit run

I think he did have a dectector, but no jammer, spotters or support cars. Pretty astonishing really.

I though a jammer sets every detector off for miles around. So how do you do both?

In any case, I run a detector in our Vette and my DD Bronco. I don't hardly speed in the Bronco, but I like to know where they are. It has paid for it self many times in the Vette.

I though a jammer sets every detector off for miles around. So how do you do both?

In any case, I run a detector in our Vette and my DD Bronco. I don't hardly speed in the Bronco, but I like to know where they are. It has paid for it self many times in the Vette.

they detect and then turn on the appropriate jammer.

not run 100% of the time.

If your driving, and live in a place that has a distracted driving/no electronic devices law, you going to update the waze and risk a ticket? (Here, thats a $650 ticket, if you dispute it and lose, now it'll cost you $1000). By the time you clear and are sure there isn't another smokey waiting a bit further entering the trap is pointless.

The good ones work and can detect radar from two miles away given the right terrain. But you need to know how to set it up to eliminate as many false alarms as possible. You don't want so many falses you end up ignoring a real threat. Too much laser out there though to give any real peace of mind. I run an ALP laser jammer setup in the front. You need to shell out some serious coin for one of those systems, but they are legit. Also illegal is some states, but legal in most. RADAR jammers are illegal on the federal level due to the FCC. Pretty sure it's a felony or worse to get caught using one.

The good ones work and can detect radar from two miles away given the right terrain. But you need to know how to set it up to eliminate as many false alarms as possible. You don't want so many falses you end up ignoring a real threat. Too much laser out there though to give any real peace of mind. I run an ALP laser jammer setup in the front. You need to shell out some serious coin for one of those systems, but they are legit. Also illegal is some states, but legal in most. RADAR jammers are illegal on the federal level due to the FCC. Pretty sure it's a felony or worse to get caught using one.

The wife and I were out driving in Death Valley and an AF FA/22 did a pass right over the top of us and the laser indicator on my Valentine lit right the fuck up. I guess we got designated.

I use Waze, a latest Valentine One, hooked to Waze and my car plus a jammer in my Z06.

I've really started wondering lately if cops don't give themselves the thumbs down/no longer there.

If its anything like truckerpath. The dot has the app and sometimes they go on there saying the scale is closed when its open. If i see them doing that I go on there and put open open open three times in a row to get the point across.

People used to leave messages in the reviews section before the app decided only paying people get to. I had seen several dot officers post up messages on there and truckers getting into it with them. It was funny.

Starry Bra side story: When I worked for a guy doing car audio back in the late 90's we installed a ridiculously over the top radar/laser/jammer setup in a guy's extensively modded RX-7.

There were sensors all over the car that had to be mounted perfectly, a big ass "processor", and the indicator lights had to be mounted into the console individually, along with the a few control buttons to make it work right. The guy that owned the car swore that it made the car completely invisible to any sort of speed detection device beyond being paced by a patrol car and he wouldn't be fined for owing a radar detector because it was all hard-wired to the car. Back then, the unit itself was close to $1k he got charged a few hundred bucks to have it installed, and I think my boss lost money on the deal.

Don't get me wrong, fast cars are awesome and getting out of a speeding ticket is even more awesome (er?), but aside from plugging something affordable into a usb charger, I'll just do the speed limit or take my chances in court if it comes to that.

I am pretty happy with my V1 but need to look into the updated model. A bit of searching should bring up a detector forum that I stumbled on, I doubt that there is more than one. Those guys were pretty much in agreement that there is no best detector but some are much better than others depending on your terrain, types of roads, location , etc. I would give your specifics there and see what they recommend.

$499.00 ! :eek: How fast or how many times do you have to be caught to pay for that?

https://store.valentine1.com/store/item.asp?i=20020

Last speeding ticket I got was $300. There aren't a bunch of road pirates here like some other states, but it does save my ass from a ticket about once a month.

I use an Uniden R7. $450. On a straight flat stretch of highway it will pick up radar over a mile easily. I've never seen laser on my commute so it works great for me.

You're fucked with laser anyway without a jammer, so I don't usually go fast enough to get arrested.

It also shows GPS speed, so I use it when I drive my truck with a busted speedometer. :homer:

Top Back Refresh