What's new

R151F and Gear Drive Transfer adapter plates

takai

Member Number
Im currently building a R151F up for the 3RZ turbo setup in the Hilux, and taking the opportunity to put the gear drive transfer case behind it while I am at it. Over here in Aus we never got the later 23T gear drive transfer case that didn't require an adaptor plate, but most of our RF1A cases came as 21T forward shift, which I want to retain. I think the standard 21T transfer case adapter plate from Marlin, Advance, or TrailGear will work with it, but just wanted to make sure.

This is the gear drive transfer case:
20231024200404-3fe2c9ca-xl.jpg

and how it "fits" on the current box:
20231024200345-d44b8a85-xl.jpg

The main local distro brings in Advance Adapters, and claims that it is this kit: TOYOTA 4WD CHAIN T/C X GEAR TC

But that kit lists it as a 23T kit, although with a 23x21T adapter as well. Advance just shrug and say it works with the US kits.

Also, its unclear whether that kit allows for forward shift, or whether it requires conversion to top shift.

Anyone know whether that one will work, or should I be looking elsewhere?

This was old tech in like 2002.....:flipoff2:

You'll need to grab a 23sp input or 23sp 4.7 gears

And yes, you'll need to go top shift.

What are you trying to gain with a single gear drive case?

Hah. Yeah it’s all pretty old tech. But stable.

Mainly gaining not having a chain drive explode on me with 350-400hp

Reactions: PAE
Not sure if this helps, but I used the coupler from an R150(behind the 3VZ) which is 23sp on the transmission side and 21 spline on the transfer case. This same coupler worked for my 2006 Hilux r151f transmission to adapt the RF1A. I did make a new adapter plate since the old tail housing on the r150 is different then the r151

Not sure if this helps, but I used the coupler from an R150(behind the 3VZ) which is 23sp on the transmission side and 21 spline on the transfer case. This same coupler worked for my 2006 Hilux r151f transmission to adapt the RF1A. I did make a new adapter plate since the old tail housing on the r150 is different then the r151
I presume that is in the US? I don’t think we got any R150s that used a coupler here in Aus. Can you tell me the chassis code for that part? Perhaps I can order it as a separate part.

Yes I’m in the US, but I have an r151 from a 2006 Hilux shipped to me from Aus. As far as I can tell the r15x are all the same. Gear ratios are different ,and tailhousing bolt patterns change, but outputs are all 23 spline. So any coupler from an r15x should work. I have my trans assembled so I can’t look to see if there is a part number on the coupler, but every v6 trans to R1FA is 23 spline on the trans end and 21 OR 23 spline on the transfer case side. The adapter I’m using the coupler from was an old Inchworm adapter. I have seen just the coupler you need for sale, but I don’t recall at the moment where.

Top Back Refresh