What's new

Quick Advice on Engine Lathe

Member Number
Loc
Abitibi
Dean Grace and Smith 22x80

Complete except chuck. Spoke with seller and "hasn't been powered up in a while" was the response.

$500 canuck and close enough I can get it this weekend. Three phase, which won't be a problem when I finally run a new service to my shop (3 phase is at the street and my shop is commercial....)

Thoughts? Should I be tripping over my dick to go get this thing?

Potato pic:

Click image for larger version Name:	$_59.jpg Views:	0 Size:	8.7 KB ID:	163921

Ok, ok, done, it's mine.

I don't know why I do this to myself. :homer:

Busier than a two peckered chipmunk and now arranging a road trip with a borrowed 1 ton dually with a high-speed front end shimmy and a borrowed trailer.

1st world problems.

Any guesses about the red number stenciled on it?

I guess I'll be in the market for some chucks. Not sure yet what kind it takes.

So I think it's about 14 feet long and hopefully less than 8000 lbs or so.

Guy got it as part of a lot from an auction and offered it up for sale or it was gonna get scrapped.

only read OP
buy it buy it buy it buy it
yesterday
DSG are fuckin' top tier lathes, equal in my eyes to herringbone gear sidneys and helical gear monarchs

I have a 18” dsg. Thing is a absolute beast does not flinch taking big cuts. If it has a four jaw Chuck your gtg. I would not want a 3 jaw. Mine has a large 3 jaw and wish it was a four jaw.

That guy should have a 20hp or bigger motor on it. Good buy.

I have a 18” dsg. Thing is a absolute beast does not flinch taking big cuts. If it has a four jaw Chuck your gtg. I would not want a 3 jaw. Mine has a large 3 jaw and wish it was a four jaw.

That guy should have a 20hp or bigger motor on it. Good buy.

Can always get a new chuck for it, pricey, but at $500 for the machine who gives a fuck if you need to sink another grand or two into stuff.

If the seller has a fork lift I would just rent a Uhaul and buy some carriage bolts to plug the tie down holes you're gonna drill in the floor. :laughing:

Buy the biggest 4-jaw chuck the machine will swing and make sure you buy one that has slots so you can take the jaws off and use it as a face plate. Changing out chucks that big gets old quick.

That machine deserves 15-20hp so expect to do some electrical work to support it.

With a lathe that big you are going to use the faceplate a ton more than you would on a small lathe because tons of operations you would do on a mill with a rotary table can now be done on the lathe in a fraction of the time (because your mill probably doesn't have 20hp of material removal potential). Your flycutters are gonna collect dust for the same reason.

Last edited:
Why did you post that link! I are sad panda I missed a rotary table and a bunch of fab tables! This auction site is bookmarked now :D

so.............this is turning out into more of a shitshow than I was hoping. The riggers have left the site, so that option is out the window. I might be able to rent a wheel loader with forks or a local company with a hook truck/flatbed. Right now it looks like the most likely outcome is me loading this thing with no heavy equipment at all.

From the description I'll have to winch/pull it 15-30 feet out from under a mezzanine in a building with a sand floor, then get it onto an equipment float trailer that has fenders and flip down ramps.

I believe this thing to be damn close to 10,000 lbs.

I'd prefer to not drive two trucks to get it, so...question time.

I'll be driving a 2wd dodge dually, pulling a 6000 kg GVWR equipment trailer. Will that truck and trailer be static enough to winch the lathe out, or will it winch the truck/trailer to the lathe? Planning to leave truck in neutral and wedge the brakes on. I have a snatch block so I can also pound some steel bars into the ground through a length of chain to make a deadman anchor for the snatch block.

Once I have the thing out in the open, how do I get it onto the trailer without flopping it? From pics I think the base is two or three pedestals (not continuous on the floor) (see pic).

I have a 5 ton long frame trolley jack, 4 hi-lifts (yes they're dangerous, I know), bottle jacks, lots of lever hoists and rigging, some cribbing (but not much long stuff).

I'm thinking I can support the end of the trailer and put the two fold down ramps close together. I've got a 4x5 foot piece of 1/4 inch steel plate that I can lay on the ramps and winch the lathe up the ramps. I think the COG is very close to the headstock where it transitions to the bed, so once that part is on the trailer it shouldn't take too much to crib the lathe level and keep winching it on.

Am I gonna die?

Click image for larger version Name:	DSG lathe.png Views:	0 Size:	237.4 KB ID:	166099

so.............this is turning out into more of a shitshow than I was hoping. The riggers have left the site, so that option is out the window. I might be able to rent a wheel loader with forks or a local company with a hook truck/flatbed. Right now it looks like the most likely outcome is me loading this thing with no heavy equipment at all.

From the description I'll have to winch/pull it 15-30 feet out from under a mezzanine in a building with a sand floor, then get it onto an equipment float trailer that has fenders and flip down ramps.

I believe this thing to be damn close to 10,000 lbs.

I'd prefer to not drive two trucks to get it, so...question time.

I'll be driving a 2wd dodge dually, pulling a 6000 kg GVWR equipment trailer. Will that truck and trailer be static enough to winch the lathe out, or will it winch the truck/trailer to the lathe? Planning to leave truck in neutral and wedge the brakes on. I have a snatch block so I can also pound some steel bars into the ground through a length of chain to make a deadman anchor for the snatch block.

Once I have the thing out in the open, how do I get it onto the trailer without flopping it? From pics I think the base is two or three pedestals (not continuous on the floor) (see pic).

I have a 5 ton long frame trolley jack, 4 hi-lifts (yes they're dangerous, I know), bottle jacks, lots of lever hoists and rigging, some cribbing (but not much long stuff).

I'm thinking I can support the end of the trailer and put the two fold down ramps close together. I've got a 4x5 foot piece of 1/4 inch steel plate that I can lay on the ramps and winch the lathe up the ramps. I think the COG is very close to the headstock where it transitions to the bed, so once that part is on the trailer it shouldn't take too much to crib the lathe level and keep winching it on.

Am I gonna die?

You need to get a plate under the legs like a ski, nice and wide with a bent up lip on the front. Then it will move easily. Bolt or strap it to the lathe to make it so it will not flip over.

You need to get a plate under the legs like a ski, nice and wide with a bent up lip on the front. Then it will move easily. Bolt or strap it to the lathe to make it so it will not flip over.

stone boat...

Does it need to be the full length of those pedestals, or just under the first half or third of the pedestals?

I have found that riggers are not really that expensive.

I have found that riggers are not really that expensive.

Do you believe this machine is worth rigger's price. It's a $500 piece that was headed to the scrapyard if it didn't sell (due to time constraints). I've got no guarantee that everything works as this thing was stored in an outbuilding, possibly because it's broken. I haven't looked at it in person, and the guy I bought it from hasn't really gone through it. Only description I have is the potato pic.I do know that it has some rust on the ways, but some parts move freely (and it spins nice).

The rigger's price that I was quoted is $950+tax.

I understand about these things being tippy, and that it could easily kill me. I'm good at rigging and moving heavy awkward stuff and usually doing it by myself. I understand centers of gravity, and I know where not to stand and to have a clear path of retreat.

If it was a running beauty then I would certainly pay to have it picked up and shipped to my door, guaranteeing any fuckups are insured. For a scrapyard turd I'll spend all day with jacks and cribbing and if it falls over and breaks I'll just call the scrapyard.

Last edited:
950 to load your trailer? Is that in maple syrup? From what you posted your trailer makes me nervous. I use the riggers Dethmachinefab uses and if I am flexible with the time they are cheap.

ignore the center leg, use the end legs

jack it up and make a couple 6x6 skis
actually, in the current lumber market just chainsaw some logs
you want it as wide as you can fit on the trailer (beams transverse to the machine ways lag screwed to the machine legs), then a couple runners with as flat of bottoms as you can do
pin them together with rebar or whatever

Top Back Refresh