What's new

Pulling a small 2 axle trailer hauling old jeep truck gets really hot

PAE

🚨 King of the Who ?🚨
Member Number
Loc
🚨
It overheats a little.

How hot can a 3500 dually get before it considered overheating as the gauge does not have real accurate numbers.

07 6.6L LBZ 3500 SILVERADO classic dually.

Whats alittle? 200f? 250f?

You will get warning lights,messages etc on the dash when you do over heat it
Not sure about the dmax but the gas trucks shut down cylinders when they get to hot

Ill get a pic of the gauge when im out in the 108° heat again.

The gauge was reading in the 235 marker earlier when pulling the jeep on the trailer.

Took the Jeep to town to attempt to sell it. Have it so it runs now so getting interest.
20210619_210951.jpg

Last edited:
From outside or inside ?

Actually never on either.

^^^ there's yer problem...
Lack of pm!

On my antique idi I have the gauges set for the needles to point to 12 oclock for max(oh shit) reading....
Lemme go see, brb
Harvester says 230*
Your fancy new machine should sustain as much (I wonder)....

Last edited:
Its like 12 years old, wouldn't call it new or fancy but you can.

Ford has been running engines at a constant 250 in testing since the early days of the mod motor.

Even if GM is as behind the times as you are an '07 truck should have no problem operating below the coolant boiling temp for a couple hours.

boil101bw.JPG

Reactions: DMG
I suppose it would depend upon what the truck is doing.

Pulling a steep hill with a load could make it get warm, forget about turning the AC on.

Do both flush the coolant system and rinse the radiator/condenser.

Do same for any other fluids. Just because oil change is important doesn't mean ignore any other fluids. They're just as important as oil.

Reactions: PAE
What other fluids beyond

engine oil

Transmission oil

Transfer case oil

Power steering oil

Differential oil

Is there anything else ?

Truck does not use DEF

I’m surprised all the gauges still work on that cluster. The gas gauge and voltmeter are the only gauges that still work correctly on my beater truck. I just ignore the pos and wait till the hud gives me a warning.

The hour meter resets at random, so thats sucky but the odometer is operating correctly and one or two gauges dont light up correctly but after changing the fuel tank sensors the fuel gauge works properly again.

What other fluids beyond

engine oil

Transmission oil

Transfer case oil

Power steering oil

Differential oil

Is there anything else ?

Truck does not use DEF
Brake fluid.

Your Allison will have 2 filter, external and internal. External spin on is good for 10k. Internal, basically either 100k or rebuild from varying source.

You're fine. My 07 6.6 lbz hit the 235 mark while towing about 8k up the summit on I-80 with the a/c on and about 80 outside temp. Cooled right back down once I hit the top of the hill. Same thing on the way home in 90 degree outside temp. Them engines run a little warm. It's when the needle doesn't go back down is when you have a problem.

Thanks for that...

Im use to driving a old 85 chevy with a 4 core radiator and just run the switched to outside heater core when it gets hot.

These 07 trucks, have a few of them are too electronic for my taste.

They've learned a few things from those days. Most of it for the better. But I agree, everything now is getting a little too electronically controlled now a days.

Whats the best CR (Compression Ratio) for a BBC in a 6-7K# 85 Chevy truck?

Cast Iron block & heads, cam choice is up in the air as it has a blower grind in it now but can swap it out easily has a gear drive with cam cover that pops out easily.

Need to get my lotus 123 CR Program up and running again.

Guess Ill have to buy roller lifters again.

Last edited:
Is that first year the dmax had egr? Fuckin gm always halfasses cooling, they added cooling load from egr but never upped cooling capacity, used the same rad from last gen. I’m convinced the reason the upper radiator hose is 6 feet long on many gm vehicles is just to add coolant capacity.

Unsure its been called the best dmax engine in many at least up to that year, unsure about after.

Gee my egr and cat seem to have been lost.

Boating accident I suppose...

From web.

In 2001, the Duramax turbo diesel was introduced to the GM 3/4 ton, 1 ton trucks and commerical trucks. In 2004.5, the EPA required a catalytic converters (Cat) and exhaust gas recirculation (EGR) on the LLY engines.Feb 28, 2017

Last edited:
Here is a '91 c3500 7.4l 4l80
20210622_075005.jpg
pulling a heavy trailer... it hasn't blown up yet sometimes the check gauges light even comes on.

So thats the 2nd incarnation of the 91.

I mean its the new body style as some in 91 kept the 81-87 body style.

The gauges were just about identical from 1973 to 1991 in the square bodies from memory.

Top Back Refresh