What's new

PSC Ram Assist Vs. RedHead?

Sean

Member Number
So I'm looking at a '09 SD box ported for hydro assist. The PSC is $995 and the 'upgraded' and ported Red Head is $1032 with a $400 core that PSC doesn't charge. I have a box as a core to send that I spent $100 for from a local JY....and I'll keep the pitman. So the Red Head is probably ~$150 more, but is it worth it? Red Head claims a thicker casting, bigger piston, larger sector vs. the standard Ford box. PSC doesn't really say what they've done to it. I have an email into PSC to ask....I'll post what they say if anyone's interested.

SG754R - Cylinder Assist™ Steering Gearbox for 8/2007-2010 Ford F250/F350 (Smooth Input)

Anyone have a preference as to which is the better brand/box? Searched but didn't find any comparisons....

Last edited:
I like Red Head, had one on the old dodge. Might need one for a JK or JL soon.

Blue top was a former RedHead emoplyee I believe. Unsure if better or not but sometimes has stock where Red doesn't.

I don't know about PSC, they have a cult following but they have changed alot from the high quality, high tolerance, shop they once where imo.

I like Red Head, had one on the old dodge. Might need one for a JK or JL soon.

Blue top was a former RedHead emoplyee I believe. Unsure if better or not but sometimes has stock where Red doesn't.

I don't know about PSC, they have a cult following but they have changed alot from the high quality, high tolerance, shop they once where imo.
That's kind of my impression with PSC now too....

Fuckin whut? Daily driven with hydro assist but only +2 tire size?
Right? +2 is probably some grossly conservative metric. WTF would you even need assist for a 35" tire?

How does red top have a core if it's all new?

Or do they claim a new casting, but reman guts?

Just to make it harder:flipoff2:

These are supposedly better than redhead

Red Head remans stock boxes, but bigger bearings, port matched, etc. They're really nice boxes, I've got them on 3 of our trucks, one of them (88 Ford) ported for hydro-assist on 42s. The other 2 (both 96 Ford) are over 100k on 35s and are still nice and tight.

Blue Top was started by a former employee of Red Head, they are built very similarly if not identical.

My ported box from Redhead replaced a ported box from PSC. They don't tap in the same places. It could be all in my head, but id swear the Redhead box is faster. Still running the same ram (from PSC) with the same size hoses.

Last edited:
Red Head remans stock boxes, but bigger bearings, port matched, etc. They're really nice boxes, I've got them on 3 of our trucks, one of them (88 Ford) ported for hydro-assist on 42s. The other 2 (both 96 Ford) are over 100k on 35s and are still nice and tight.

Blue Top was started by a former employee of Red Head, they are built very similarly if not identical.

My ported box from Redhead replaced a ported box from PSC. They don't tap in the same places. It could be all in my head, but id swear the Redhead box is faster. Still running the same ram (from PSC) with the same size hoses.

I actually have one on my 97

You missed this I guess?

"Red Head claims a thicker casting, bigger piston, larger sector"

That's not a reman if all that stuff is bigger.....

I went through several parts store boxes with my 1994 Explorer. SAS'd on 35's. Got a ported Redhead box 4-5 years ago. It's tighter, no more wander, returns to center. Still has zero play. Explorer gets about 5,000 miles a year on it, flat towed, highway and moderate off road use. It was also more difficult to steer until I swapped in a 2006 Liberty power steering pump. I got a ported box for possible future mods (brakes, ram).

I had bad luck with redhead. Started leaking at the sector shaft and we had issue with the fine print in the warranty. I forget the details but they would not warranty it. The PSC that replaced it was on for a few years until my brother sold the truck.

Add Lee Power Steering to that list of alternative recommendations
Impressed with their site. Looks like they do a nice rebuild. I wonder why they don't offer the 2008-10 boxes though. I know the 2011 and newer are cost prohibitive at $2200+.

Don't people drill and tap their own boxes these days? I've drilled and tapped 6 or 7 boxes over the years for hydro assist and they all worked good. Just an option to save you 1000 clams
These boxes aren't all that cheap. Porting is like a $110-190 option on most.

You missed this I guess?

Apparently, there are 'aftermarket' housings (typically a 6 bolt cap is the giveaway instead of factory 4 bolt cap)....and those are what it appears both Red Head and PSC are using....Probably using them b/c they can be bought new and they fit larger internals. Just guessing though.

Apparently, there are 'aftermarket' housings (typically a 6 bolt cap is the giveaway instead of factory 4 bolt cap)....and those are what it appears both Red Head and PSC are using....Probably using them b/c they can be bought new and they fit larger internals. Just guessing though.
My Redhead box says "Ford" on it. The core they accepted was OEM I pulled off a donor truck. I know they are entirely different boxes than the OP's application but mine is definitely a remanufactured unit.

Yeah all of mine are rebuilt (and/or ported) OEM Ford castings

You missed this I guess?

Yeah i was at work. Just did some digging, and it looks like the upgraded Borgeson 6-bolt box for 03-08 Dodges.

Its possible the cases will physically bolt up in place of one another but the sector shaft spline count and/or input is a different size, which could be why Redhead makes all custom parts for it.

I cant imagine how big of a tire youd have to be running to need a steering box that big. Ive had hydro assist & 42s on my 88 for almost 20 years, and havent broken a box yet.

Last edited:
Yeah all of mine are rebuilt (and/or ported) OEM Ford cases

Yeah i was at work. Just did some digging, and it looks like the upgraded Borgeson 6-bolt box for 03-08 Dodges.

Its possible the cases will physically bolt up in place of one another but the sector shaft spline count and/or input is a different size, which could be why Redhead makes all custom parts for it.

I cant imagine how big of a tire youd have to be running to need a steering box that big. Ive had hydro assist & 42s on my 88 for almost 20 years, and havent broken a box yet.
Yeah, I can't tell for sure it's the same box, sure looks the same. But...I do know PSC has some Dodge specific boxes with different part numbers than the Ford (as the Dodge are rear swing). Funny thing is, if they are the same box, their techs don't seem to know it since I asked specifically about the Dodge box first...and asked if they had a forward swing version of it and was told no. When I said I'd look into the Ford boxes instead, they didn't mention anything about them even being similar and they sure do look like the same box.

It wouldnt surprise me if Ford modeled their boxes off the Borgeson stuff, and then just stuck with it. Theres very little changes between the 2 & 4 bolt Ford cases, and that gets you from 1980 to roughly '08 i think when the stepped up to a bigger sector shaft & pitman arm.

Now im gonna have to take a look at a buddies 2500 Ram at work tomorrow and see what its got.

My Redhead box says "Ford" on it. The core they accepted was OEM I pulled off a donor truck. I know they are entirely different boxes than the OP's application but mine is definitely a remanufactured unit.

I don't know how else to say it

Either they are lieing about the bigger parts or they are not remaning the same boxes you're sending in.

Maybe they're selling the stock 08-10 boxes as an upgrade for something else?

Either they are lieing about the bigger parts or they are not remaning the same boxes you're sending in.

I think it's the particular box I'm looking at....the '08-2010. My guess is that it's the aftermarket new 6 bolt box (which is what they have pictured) with larger internal guts. I'm sure they (along with Lee, and Blue Top) do remans as well.

From talking to Lee....the '08-2010 boxes are going for big money from yards....so it's likely the reason they use new aftermarket boxes at RedHead and PSC. I don't know if I just got lucky or what, but I got one of the few $100 boxes in my area from Car-Part.com. Many were in the $360+ range.

As you can see: Ford F250/F350/Excursion High Performance Power Steering Gearboxes

Lee doesn't even offer a ready built option for the newer Ford boxes....though they did say they can rebuild one if you send the core.

"Our re-manufacturing process:

Machining out the housings and installing needle bearings
Flame-spraying or replacing the shafts as needed
Installing new control valves on some applications
Custom fitting each worm & piston assembly with special ordered, precise over-sized ball bearings.
Other things we do to produce a top quality product include:

Install every sector shaft on a lathe to check for straight and true
polish the sealing surface to a higher polish than new."

I'm not claiming they are better or worse than any of the other steering gear box remanufacturers, but I got what I paid for. That's all I was trying to share, my personal experience.

I had bad luck with redhead. Started leaking at the sector shaft and we had issue with the fine print in the warranty. I forget the details but they would not warranty it. The PSC that replaced it was on for a few years until my brother sold the truck.
Buddy has blown sector shaft seals out of his red head XJ box twice, drill an tapped for assist he got no help the first time while under warranty.

"Our re-manufacturing process:

Machining out the housings and installing needle bearings
Flame-spraying or replacing the shafts as needed
Installing new control valves on some applications
Custom fitting each worm & piston assembly with special ordered, precise over-sized ball bearings.
Other things we do to produce a top quality product include:

Install every sector shaft on a lathe to check for straight and true
polish the sealing surface to a higher polish than new."

I'm not claiming they are better or worse than any of the other steering gear box remanufacturers, but I got what I paid for. That's all I was trying to share, my personal experience.

So it's actually a thinner casting? :homer:

Sorry, I'm not saying you're wrong or trying to dismiss your experience. I just don't see what guys aren't getting about how it's either got a thicker casting, bigger piston ect, or it's a reman, can't be both unless it's a different vehicle application.

I dont think so. I've got 2 boxes over 120k that are still nice and tight (the 3rd is the ported one and low miles). Either I'm super lucky and got 3 good ones or they still build good boxes, for Fords at least. Maybe I'll have to get a bluetop for my wife's truck so we can compare, lol

Impressed with their site. Looks like they do a nice rebuild. I wonder why they don't offer the 2008-10 boxes though. I know the 2011 and newer are cost prohibitive at $2200+.
I was impressed with them on my one experience with just a stock GM box rebuild. I went in person and picked it up since I was local at the time.

RadialDynamics recommend them as well for rebuilds in another thread I believe

Top Back Refresh