What's new

Protools 105 Homebuilt Clone

zerobalance

Member Number
Loc
Ohio, the middle part of it
Looking for some direction on this. I'm building a protools 105 bender clone. I had some 1/2" drops around, so we cut out arms.
20231223_060138.jpg

I'm trying to determine a cylinder to use on it. I know all about using the HF air over hydro, but I'm looking to go full hydro and use the pump I have for my small car lift to run it. Protools sells a SPX ram for them, but they are silly expensive. This is the one that protools sells for the conversion.

I'm looking at buying one of these

Am I missing something or will that cheap one work fine? I know the SPX one has a spring to retract it, which I can add externally. Is it worth doing all this, or should I just use the HF ram? I'm not going to be doing a ton of tube work, but I am building at least one cage in the next year.

I have a 14" enerpac on mine. It's not quite enough to do 90* in one shot. The one I got has the spring in it. I got the air over pump and ram of ebay for around 300.

A cylinder like that will work fine and should plumb up to your lift's hydro power pack. You might need to add a valve depending on what your lift uses for a valve. A basic log splitter valve will work with that cylinder. No need for a return spring, that ram uses fluid to retract.

Ive been using a tie rod style cylinder like that for 16-ish years on my Pro Tools bender with no problems. You will have to make a funky cradle swing arm to mount the end or mount it somewhat inline which is what mine is like using a 24" stroke ram (IIRC) and I can go a little past 90 without repining. It is also very fast compared to the air over HF cylinder and not as noisy.

question
how many bends are you doing?
Why hydro?

I have this bender, and have built quite a few cages with it and have never thought that I ever needed a hydro assist

Hydro is cool and all, but if you are cutting costs to the point you are building your own plate, it will add a lot of cost to the project

question
how many bends are you doing?
Why hydro?

I have this bender, and have built quite a few cages with it and have never thought that I ever needed a hydro assist

Hydro is cool and all, but if you are cutting costs to the point you are building your own plate, it will add a lot of cost to the project
For me it was space constraints and not having it bolted down in one spot. I can roll that bitch out, make a bend and roll it back out of the way. Swinging around a B hoop requires a lot of space, having the bender mobile let's you finagle it around if you are spacialy challenged.

For me it was space constraints and not having it bolted down in one spot. I can roll that bitch out, make a bend and roll it back out of the way. Swinging around a B hoop requires a lot of space, having the bender mobile let's you finagle it around if you are spacialy challenged.
and that is a valid argument :grinpimp:

I have friends that has the bender plug into receivers that are build into his fab table, food for thought

and that is a valid argument :grinpimp:

I have friends that has the bender plug into receivers that are build into his fab table, food for thought
You'd need a pretty substantial table to keep it from moving around bending 2" .120 wall.

My fab table is also on wheels :flipoff2:

This is the exact reason. I want it on wheels and able to move, also I prefer to be able to just push a button and watch the degree wheel. I cut my own plates because I had the drawing and the plate was free, why spend $600 when I don't need to. I already have the pump sitting on my small floor lift, just add a quick connect and It can run other stuff.

Here is mine.

120v 2 way power pack with pendant remote. The ram is 2 1/4 x 1 1/8 x 18". It will not do 90⁰ in one shot. You would need a 24" ram for that, once you take up the slack in the whole setup. I used what I had and plan on replacing it with a bigger cylinder at some point.

Forgive the reverse potato pics. My main camera doesn't work so I had to use the selfie camera
20231224_121312.jpg
20231224_121339.jpg
20231224_121451.jpg

My set up is quite similar to the above. I have hydropower each direction. I would definitely do that again.

Back in the day when I had a JD2 manual bender. I didn’t use it much as it required so much effort. The Hydro is worth every penny.

Top Back Refresh