What's new

power probes

D Nelly

Red Skull Member
Member Number
It's time for a new toy. I don't play with anything computerized, only basic 12v stuff. Lights, plows, tractors, etc. Is the name brand the best? I don't really care about the price as long as it'll do what what it's supposed to and last.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B005...1?smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&psc=1&tag=91812054244-20

Looks like a good deal to me but most things look better than a test light and some test leads. I want input on what y'all are using

I really don't like the one I used, just too much stuff in one place. Give me a jumper pack, a couple bits of wire, an old headlight bulb, and a voltmeter.

My brain just won't adapt to the steps all getting smashed together, I end up just jamming power and ground into random wires until shit "does something"
Somehow the added steps of checking with the meter, then confirming with the battery power makes the diag more deliberate

Ive had my pp for 10-12 years.

My only complaint is the lack of a switched on, not just the momentary switch.

The extra lead jump is nice along with the aligator tip and pierce tips.

Well I see you already summoned 486 in here by talking about power probing! :laughing: And now we got total newb talking about his pp... :flipoff2:

But anyways I'll be watching this thread as I have heard they are super useful to have, and even looked into getting one at one point in time, but they have a shit ton of different kits available for them and I wasn't sure what all was really truly needed and what was just extra bullshit.

That kit is the combonation of the power probe standard and the accessories kit i bought.

The extention, pierce, gator tips. Save some cash and get the most of it.

That kit is the combonation of the power probe standard and the accessories kit i bought.

The extention, pierce, gator tips. Save some cash and get the most of it.

I have the super duper deluxe model with tracing box thing and 20 different accessories. My boss bought it for the mechanic before me, who never used it as it was “too complicated”. WTF. I keep it in the back seat of my service truck and use it all the time. Makes troubleshooting so much easier, I only pull out the multimeter if I need a resistance reading or continuity testing a harness.

Despite having the whiz bang fancy kit, I mostly use what’s in the kit you listed. I do agree a constant power switch would be nice, I cheat and use a zip tie around the power probe, sliding it over the momentary switch to make it constant power or constant ground.

Edit: OP, I use the crap out of these too:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B...?smid=A3HT33BPF4USBF&psc=1&tag=91812054244-20

They make back probing connectors easy, I prefer to not use the wire piercers as I’m worried about future corrosion in my climate.

Last edited:
I have a power probe as well and wired a few vehicles and used it to test switches and relays numerous times with great sucess. Couldn't imagine doing those jobs without it. You can do it with a battery and some wire but the tool is nice and when charging by the hour the customer is happy when i do the job in 5 min instead of 30min.

I'd get a whole lot more mileage out of this for the same money:
https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...91812054244-20

Editing to add: There's a bunch more meter options out there for a few less $$ too if you don't need/want the amp clamp, but that's useful enough to be worth having IMO.

^^^ A meter is good to have in addition to a power probe, and if you've only got one or the other, the meter is more useful.

I have a power probe 3 I use pretty regularly, but not nearly as often as I grab a test light, 90% of the time I'm using both together to load test wiring.

[486 said:
;n302807]

you've gotta get with the times, man
any electrical diag charges 1hr minimum

Oh i charge by the hour with a 1hr minimum. Its when i'm doing a bigger job and that is all it takes within the big job.

I give my old lady the power probe and she sure knows how to drain the batteries...

I have the super duper deluxe model with tracing box thing and 20 different accessories. My boss bought it for the mechanic before me, who never used it as it was “too complicated”. WTF. I keep it in the back seat of my service truck and use it all the time. Makes troubleshooting so much easier, I only pull out the multimeter if I need a resistance reading or continuity testing a harness.

Have you (or anybody familiar with these) used the locator on std wiring circuits? I know I'm asking a lot but just curious if this would work on CAN systems along with the junctions?

Top Back Refresh