What's new

Porch / exterior house build

Lol.

Small history: the original bit of the house was built in 1920, and at some point in its history was the general store for this area. You can probably guess by looking at the outside where the additions are, and I can tell you for sure after redoing the subfloor and adding a half-bath, that it was added on to in the haphazard way that most things were done 100 years ago.

So the wall is staying :flipoff2:
  • Don't feel like demo'ing and getting rid of that much masonry
  • The return where it meets the house is tied in with rebar and the siding, sheathing, etc is all done around it. Yes I can handle all that, no I don't really want to.
  • As mentioned, house is on a busy street and it's a nice privacy thing for packages etc, my UPS and USPS people are well-trained to throw things over the wall, and it does do a bit for noise reduction with open windows. I like sitting out there and also it's nice for leaving implements, i.e. working on the lawn/dirt and having the shovel & rake there rather than going back and forth to the garage. Or the pile of 2x8 temporary supports I've had sitting for months before I actually got around to starting this thing.
  • If it had an open approach to the front door I'd be more inclined to consider it, but 'here's a nice open porch that you still have to walk all the way around' seems kinda dumb, and I'm not getting rid of the dogwood and/or making a sidewalk to do that. As-is the actual 'front door' serves very little purpose except for making the census people walk further.
edit: That side door opens into the kitchen, to answer Pony_Driver 's question. No that side entrance will not be needed for anything but pedestrian traffic.

A little backstory, on how things got here:

When I first moved in, before I did the asphalt driveway and got rid of a bunch of shit in the yard area:

50477065166_99a3a0a39f_b.jpg

Previous owner had all this shit along the front that I have no knowledge or motivation to take care of. Fuck rose bushes.

50477213352_1571a1f6c5_c.jpg

I let it go for a while, not realizing that all these bushes and vines grow equally above and below ground...the bucket on my tractor barely had enough ass to pull the root balls up.

50477184722_e380d1ac60_b.jpg

After one afternoon...

50477187772_ab3a28a366_b.jpg

Anyone here ever dealt with Tree of Heaven? Because I had to dig out a few of those as well. Fuck those too.

So with that said - yes the porch wall will be getting treatment, I think this:

DesertSunriseStackedStonePanel_608x224.jpg

And will be getting landscaped with a mulch bed and something low-maintenance, junipers or some kinda little pine thing. I want to deal with it maybe once a year and aside from refreshing the mulch, the plants can just sit. I'm still stomping out random daffodils from the previous owner that reappear randomly every season, even after I dug up and sifted all the dirt, and the azaleas, hydrangea, and rose bushes can again go fuck themselves.

The columns have proven to be a nightmare, but I think I finally found somewhere that can order them for me, and have them within this decade. I have samples for the faux-wood top rail (will be a mahogany-ish thing) and am waiting for the stone samples to show up before I order all of that. I don't want to leave the temporary supports up any longer than I need to so once I know the lead time on the top rail and columns I'll start removing the existing stuff.

edit to add: current picture on pg 3

50443882257_9c5994a508_b.jpg

Last edited:
Stone sample came in over the weekend so I think I'll end up going with this...top rail something similar, a vendor about an hour from me has 20' lengths from another brand in stock for about half the price so I'll probably go look at those before committing.

50504499331_25cb932ec7_c.jpg

Should be doing the temporary supports and knocking out the old columns and top rail tomorrow, we'll see how that goes.

Stone sample came in over the weekend so I think I'll end up going with this...top rail something similar, a vendor about an hour from me has 20' lengths from another brand in stock for about half the price so I'll probably go look at those before committing.

Should be doing the temporary supports and knocking out the old columns and top rail tomorrow, we'll see how that goes.

looks like a winning combo.

This went pretty easy, no real surprises except that some bits of the posts & top rail were even more rotted than I thought.

50507256072_b6d63d62ef_b.jpg

Wouldn't want input that's dishonest, right?

:flipoff2:

I just want to know how long it is going to be before the drystack stone look of the 2010s starts having the same appeal as the 1970s stone veneer.

I just want to know how long it is going to be before the drystack stone look of the 2010s starts having the same appeal as the 1970s stone veneer.

i'm wondering the same about the wood look on every new commercial building

Going to look way better Vetteboy. Enjoying seeing others' projects, makes me motivated to go finish my shit:laughing:

Calculated all the stone bits tonight...corners, ledgers, corner ledgers, ending trim, full panels, etc. The long front wall is maybe 1" over 32' from being an even number of panels so I imagine (plan) I'll be fudging that along the length of it. Works out to leaving an average 3/32" between panels, compared to having a stupid 1" strip at the end. I think that'll work.

50515653397_a51ec8bc11_c.jpg

My chicken scratch works for me :flipoff2:

Total was:
  • 49 straight panels (12" x 48" each)
  • 13 ledger pieces
  • 1 ledger corner
  • 3 trim edges
  • 2 outside corner blocks
It's 'free shipping', so we'll see how that turns up. Gonna be a large amount of lightweight boxes if I had to guess, sorry delivery dude...

Home Depot won the quote contest for my special order columns, which is because they quoted the completely wrong thing, so I had to mess with getting them to cancel that yesterday. Price for the correct columns was right in line with all the other quotes so I'll be going with the local lumber yard who was great about getting back to me. They looked approx $100/ea higher initially but they were right on point once everyone quoted the right shit.

Between this project and getting back into construction work on some commercial properties. it's reminding me how much it can suck dealing with the 'pros' at retailers. From what I've learned about these products and materials in the last few weeks, largely in just being able to look up the correct things, I don't doubt I could jump in at the 'pro desk' at Home Depot as a job tomorrow and do just fine.

The columns have proven to be a nightmare, but I think I finally found somewhere that can order them for me, and have them within this decade.

Well, depending on your definition of when a decade actually begins, I may have been wrong with this statement :laughing: :(

All materials were ordered mid-October. Still no clear date on the columns, and my stone stuff just showed up today, albeit incomplete (still waiting to find out when the remainder will ship). At this point I'm just glad this isn't a job I bid on for someone else, I know plenty of people in the industry with similar stories and it's gotta be a nightmare quoting these jobs right now.

50808743352_4cd7f64538_k.jpg
50808633351_627c022650_k.jpg

Can't really begin on this until the rest of the pieces get here, it's the ledger stones I'm missing so I'll need those to set the overhang of the top boards and the height of everything else. Guess if I get bored I can base it off the corner piece (which I have, shown above) but I'd rather have the bits in my hand rather than leave it incomplete for who knows how long.

What model is your deere? Looks like mine sans the backhoe....but mine doesn't have nearly the ass to pick up that pallet.

It's an 855, mid 90's I'd guess. 24 HP Yanmar diesel.

Loader bucket looks to be rated for around 1300-1500 lbs. The ship weight of that pallet was 432 lbs so figure it's 2-3x out from where the bucket load would normally be measured, it's close to capacity, but didn't really feel like it struggled at all.

It's an 855, mid 90's I'd guess. 24 HP Yanmar diesel.

Loader bucket looks to be rated for around 1300-1500 lbs. The ship weight of that pallet was 432 lbs so figure it's 2-3x out from where the bucket load would normally be measured, it's close to capacity, but didn't really feel like it struggled at all.

Ahh...I have a 790....so smaller, but bigger engine. Weird. I think mine's rated for about 1k at the bucket but I have the same style bolt-on forks and capacity goes to shit. I found sticking the bush hog on the 3 pt gives it enough counterweight to be able to max out the hydraulics instead of just trying to roll itself over. :laughing:

Don’t let anyone tell you different. Those temporary supports are good for 10 years. Ask me how I know.

:flipoff2:

Just set the last column today. Ended up doing 2x12" limestone for the top edge. Full disclosure, I was just a grunt for moving the 8' pieces around, I have a masonry buddy who was looking for some more work before the holidays, so figured just get that part done so I could move on finally.

52561281122_810c29431e_b.jpg

52561735736_a1177fc09c_b.jpg

52561733281_ae5468cc87_b.jpg

He's gonna do the steps off the side entrance, and next is the veneer stuff on the front. Then powerwashing if there's a good weather window and shutters.

Of course I can't be bothered to spend summer & fall doing exterior work :homer:

Top Back Refresh