What's new

Plasma cutter opinions?

Crimsen

Member Number
Loc
Bc, Canada, Eh!
Going to get myself one for Christmas. Was looking at either hypertherm or thermal dynamics. Whats everyones opinion on either one, given same/similar sizing? (Hypertherm 30xp vs cutmaster 42)

I have a Thermal A120 I use on the plasma table. It is one piece of equipment I regret purchasing. Since new, it has had a problem of the cooling fan stopping after about 45 minutes of run time. Shortly after that, the plasma faults out due to overheating. It has been sent back for repair multiple times until the warranty ran out. Now I just listen for the fan to quit running, pause the table for a minute, cycle the plasma off and back on, good to go for another 45 minutes or so.
Besides that, my local Thermal rep has to be the biggest dickhead that ever got into sales. (Was, I think he finally retired.)
The other side of the coin, anytime you google a plasma problem, Jim Colt from Hypertherm pops up. Just his presence and willingness to help would make me consider a Hypertherm.

Have a hypertherm 45xp and it's killer. Absolutely love it.

Before that had a miller spectrum 375 x-treme and it was awesome too. It's 30/35a rated, so in the window you're looking at.

Look on craigslist for a used one, best deals are found there.

I have the Hypertherm 30xp and never had a single issue, had it for like 3-4 years. It's an animal, I run it maxed out 70% of the time on a langmuir plasma table and 30% of the time free hand, and it cuts like butter through 1/4" and more. There's a duty cycle on it, but if I've ever hit it I didn't know since it just chews non stop. I've run it nearly continuously (with start stops) on the table for hours on end and it's never missed a beat. When I bought it the guys at the welding store thought Hypertherm was the best since they only do plasma cutters, and I'd have to agree with them. With that said I've never used or owned another plasma, but it is one of, if not the most reliable tool I own.

I like my hypertherm 1250. That thing has to have a couple million pieces on that thing. It is starting to get weak but after 13-14 years of beating on it it doesn’t owe me anything. Will be getting another hyper therm to replace it when that time comes.

I have a Thermal A120 I use on the plasma table. It is one piece of equipment I regret purchasing. Since new, it has had a problem of the cooling fan stopping after about 45 minutes of run time. Shortly after that, the plasma faults out due to overheating. It has been sent back for repair multiple times until the warranty ran out. Now I just listen for the fan to quit running, pause the table for a minute, cycle the plasma off and back on, good to go for another 45 minutes or so.
Besides that, my local Thermal rep has to be the biggest dickhead that ever got into sales. (Was, I think he finally retired.)
The other side of the coin, anytime you google a plasma problem, Jim Colt from Hypertherm pops up. Just his presence and willingness to help would make me consider a Hypertherm.

That's easy to fix.

Now that it's out of warranty, bypass the fan control and make it run constantly, or controlled by a toggle switch.

If the actual fan is the problem, retrofit some other fan in there.

jim is a huge reason i do lean to hypertherm, i just wonder how long it would last? I know his name is synonymous with hypertherm over the years, but having never met the guy, is he likely to be in the same position for another 5-10 years ?

Hypertherm 30xp here. Not a single problem for the two or three years I've had it. Cuts through 3/8" steel on 110 pretty easily. I've always been happy with Hypertherm over the years. Use a Miller once and thought is was awesome. Almost bought myself a Miller, but the saleman pointed at Hypertherm and said I'd be better off with them. Can't complain. 1/4" stainless is a breeze with it. Haven't cut any alu with it yet, but no doubts that it'll handle it.

Hypertherm. I've got a powermax 45 and powermax 85. No issues, both have tons of hours cutting on a table.

pm 65 on the cnc and a 45xp in the truck.

i believe Miller and others even use hypertherm made torchs, because they are the best.

Hypertherm Powermax 45 here. Bought it used about 11 years ago, and has been running strong on a CNC table ever since. Exactly zero problems with it that weren't caused by my dumb ass. :)

Was actually thinking the 30 air for the reasons stated. I have a compressor, but not the filter setup. For the extra $100 it costa currently for the air over the xp, it is well worth it. Plus gives even more portability.

Was actually thinking the 30 air for the reasons stated. I have a compressor, but not the filter setup. For the extra $100 it costa currently for the air over the xp, it is well worth it. Plus gives even more portability.
You looking online or do you have a local shop
to purchase from.

Curious on pricing and if it’s all over the board or very competitive

I was shopping for a new hypertherm and found that the lowest advertised units did not include consumables, torch lead, or ground.

When I was pricing out plasma cutters I was looking at both hypertherm and thermal dynamics. I got my thermal dynamics 51 for less then the comperable hypertherm was going for. seems both units are very good. I see the hypertherm is more popular here on Irate... And that other place that has a Pee in it.

Not at the same caliber as the hypertherm but i have been using a primeweld cut 60 for 6-7 months now on my cnc table and its actually pretty damn good for the money. Nice cuts, lots of high quality consumable available, 3 year warranty and good customer service. Worth a look imho

I have a powermax 45, 45xp and 65 currently and an 85 on a table I retrofitted and maintain for my uncle. The only issue I’ve ever had with any of them is the voltage divider board going out on the 45 and the 85, which doesn’t matter if you’re not using them for cnc cuttting anyway. Candcnc makes a $55 universal replacement that fixes the problem.

I was shopping for a new hypertherm and found that the lowest advertised units did not include consumables, torch lead, or ground.

works out good for a guy like me...

i first bought my pm65 and not long after i got a machine torch and it went to full time cnc duty. then when i was ready to buy the 45xp i got the machine only for $16xx or something like that, and used the torch and ground that was no longer being used on the pm65. i like that they dont price it in a way that you end up buying more than you need just because its cheaper together.

I just pulled the trigger on a PowerMax 30 Air.

I found a business online called Industrial Source, they popped up while googling prices this morning. I started talking with the salesman about what I wanted and my use and he (of course) agreed that this would be a good machine for my needs. I told him that I would like a competitive quote and availability of a machine....

So he asks where I live, and I tell him. Next words out of his mouth is that he can sell me one for $1800 (every machine that I seen was $18-2000, complete) and that his delivery driver would drop it off on my doorstep in two days when they deliver to another business local to me.... no delivery charge.

I was pleasantly surprised and couldn’t pass it up.

hypertherm, not cheap, but I'm still happy with the purchase, 45xp

airliquide has the best CDN pricing on hypertherm.

I'd check the local welding supply shops for a price, my local Air Liquide has always beat their prices by a fair margin with their regular quoted prices.

Thanks to both of you. Contacted air liquide and he needs to confirm pricing with hypertherm, but said it should be 2200-2300 based on last one sold compared to KMS at 2500. Awaiting reply for final price but will be pulling the trigger on the 30air when i do get it. Merry late arrival of christmas present to me!

Thanks to both of you. Contacted air liquide and he needs to confirm pricing with hypertherm, but said it should be 2200-2300 based on last one sold compared to KMS at 2500. Awaiting reply for final price but will be pulling the trigger on the 30air when i do get it. Merry late arrival of christmas present to me!

Right on! Merry Christmas :)

I just pulled the trigger on a PowerMax 30 Air.

I found a business online called Industrial Source, they popped up while googling prices this morning. I started talking with the salesman about what I wanted and my use and he (of course) agreed that this would be a good machine for my needs. I told him that I would like a competitive quote and availability of a machine....

So he asks where I live, and I tell him. Next words out of his mouth is that he can sell me one for $1800 (every machine that I seen was $18-2000, complete) and that his delivery driver would drop it off on my doorstep in two days when they deliver to another business local to me.... no delivery charge.

I was pleasantly surprised and couldn’t pass it up.

you wont be disappointed, its hands down one of my favorite tools :grinpimp: its size and portability not needing an air source makes it a dream

DO IT!!! :grinpimp:

Is there a minimum machine to run a Cnc table? I’d like to pick up a plasma with the ability to later use it on a table.

Top Back Refresh