What's new

Pitman arm selection, RUF, crossover steering

IowaOffRoad

King shit of turd island
BRC
Member Number
Loc
Under the apple tree
Wanted to figure this on my own, but running out of time. 1983 Toyota factory suspension at the moment. Have all the parts gathered but pitman arm for RUF spring install with IFS/crossover steering install. Wanted to get it in the shop a month ago, but paying projects and bailing out family members keep taking precedence. Finally going to get it in the bay this week. Running out of time for our Memorial Day wheeling trip to MIOBI. Which is supposed to be a shakedown before our July trip to Kansas Rocks.
Who’s done this job on a solid axle truck? Did you use a drop pitman arm or flat? Why?
Currently running 35’s with stock type front unknown lift springs (assuming 2-3) with trimming and 10# sledge to the floorpan. Wanting to get ordered this week so I can get it with current SLOW shipping times. Searched this site and the old and came up empty of opinions on this.

Run the flat pitman. Not much else to it.

I think I still have a new flat pitman arm I never used if you're interested.

I think I still have a new flat pitman arm I never used if you're interested.
I am interested. Message me with your price and when we can meet. I see you're local enough to me. Why didn't you use it? Is the flat arm what's best for my projected setup? I don't want to go any higher in lift, I like how it wheels now. Just want to get the front tire out of the floorpan when flexing/turning. 35's work great on it right now, and I'm going to IFS hubs to get a little extra width as it's a little tippy. At what point in lift is a drop pitman arm advisable with a crossover? I seen some opinions, but no consensus.

Thanks for the input guys! I think Alex123456 may be able to hook me up with a flat arm, got the rest of the components at a swap meet from Awwdude?!? at a swap meet years ago. (I'm a cheap bastard)
Awwwdude

Good guy, builds Jeep stuff cuz that's where the money's at around here, but has a badass Toyota. Don't think he's on here, but I need to drop him a note. Think he'd fit in around here.

Anything else I should think about setting up the steering for this rig? It's barely a road vehicle, but I like to have the option to drive it 10-20 miles on road safely when I need to. I've always gotten by pretty well stock, but the axle location and the janky steering has been holding me back.

Just cleaned up and found more extra parts and if you’re interested.

I have these Trail Gear High Steer parts:

All FJ80 TREs., 2 uninstalled, 4 used, Tie Rod, and Drag Link. 1.25” .250” wall.

Shipping from 95945.

Pic.

Attachments

• 67B6E797-2721-43EC-97F0-C1BA63572912.jpeg
    67B6E797-2721-43EC-97F0-C1BA63572912.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 49
I can vouch for Tony with AwwwDude. He's a character.

Im literally doing the exact same thing on my '82 yota right now. Thanks for asking about the pitman. Now I need to remember if I ordered a flat arm or not....

I can vouch for Tony with AwwwDude. He's a character.

Im literally doing the exact same thing on my '82 yota right now. Thanks for asking about the pitman. Now I need to remember if I ordered a flat arm or not....
Same short timetable too?:laughing: Going to MIOBI memorial day?

No I won't make it. I want to but have way too much going on with the build. Its not even close. I know plenty of people going though.

No I won't make it. I want to but have way too much going on with the build. Its not even close. I know plenty of people going though.
I've parted out a few 79-95 trucks. If you need some stock parts to complete something, message me. Don't know where you're located, but I may be able to help you out. It may take me some time to find it though, as they are scattered between 3 properties in 3 different townships in many different crates:dustin:

I've parted out a few 79-95 trucks. If you need some stock parts to complete something, message me. Don't know where you're located, but I may be able to help you out. It may take me some time to find it though, as they are scattered between 3 properties in 3 different townships in many different crates:dustin:
Central Iowa, so a little ways out but not too bad. Thanks for the offer, I'll let ya know if I end up needing something. Someone swapped a 20r into my truck awhile back, so eventually I'll be looking for a 22r to put back in it. But thats a ways down the road.

Central Iowa, so a little ways out but not too bad. Thanks for the offer, I'll let ya know if I end up needing something. Someone swapped a 20r into my truck awhile back, so eventually I'll be looking for a 22r to put back in it. But thats a ways down the road.
I'd keep the 20R. Had both in my 83, I like it better. Makes no sense, but I think it has more low-speed torque. The 22R was rebuilt, the 20R came from a 1981 Celica GT. Both had stock cams and compression, with a 390 Holley I built into an off-road carb. Don't laugh, it works good, never runs out of breath, and it runs while laying on it's side. Now, if your 20R is sick...

Well, it sounds like I need to talk to you later on about getting a carb figured out. I will be almost exclusively wheeling places like MIOBI with hills of that nature so I need to do something better than the stock carb. I need to read more of the toyota bible here as well. I think my 20r is ok, but I wont know more until I finish up enough to run it.

The only mods are an off-road needle and seat, and a crossover tube between the bowl vents. Doesn't run like a fuel-injected rig, but stays running usually. I've started it on its side and drove out of a flop in a v-ditch. Not recommending it for everyone, but I'm a cheap bastard and like the simplicity. I'm going to put a 3.9L Magnum in it eventually and retain the fuel injection if it can be done easily. Otherwise I'm getting a TBI intake and modding it for my trusty Holley. Drug too many electronic rigs out of the sticks over something stupid. I've drove mine back to the tow rig with pieces of the carburetor missing.:smokin:

Top Back Refresh