What's new

Pintle hooks

AKnate

Icehole
Member Number
Seems like a simple thing, but haven't found answers.

Do the pintle/lunette change size based off weight? Seems like the ID is 2.5 or 3" The ring get thicker with heavier duty ones?

Like if I have a 5 ton pintle, will it fit on a 15 ton trailer lunette?

I have a pintle that claims to be 5 ton, though looks just like a Kurt 10 ton, so not sure what makes it different.

Trying to setup my 5500 to pull a trailer I got so it's ready to go when I get home in a couple weeks. If I need to order shit, would need to do it soon.

The ones on my trucks arent marked from seeing and working with them, its the CUCV trucks that they came on from GM.

Thus us the one I have, bought it to move a conveyor a few years ago.

10000 lb Pintle Hook for 2-Inch Hitch Receiver, 10,000 lbs. Fits 2-1/2-Inch Lunette Ring,Tow Pintle Hook Hitch,Heavy Duty Trailer Hitch Amazon.com

The Kurt 10 ton...
CURT 48004 Pintle Hook Hitch for 2-Inch Receiver, 20,000 lbs, Fits 2-1/2-Inch Lunette Ring, GLOSS BLACK POWDER COAT Amazon.com

Mine says 8 tons

Attachments

• IMG_20231222_221009950.jpg
    IMG_20231222_221009950.jpg
    3.7 MB · Views: 35
It's mainly the mounting, but the little ones with a ball in them are naturally going to be rated for less. Either way, a 21k lbs pintle mounted to a 10k receiver hitch doesn't make sense, no matter how fucking stupid you are.

They're different. When you run different hooks and rings you get the rattle/slapping/jerking that makes people think pintle towing has to be rough. Size your hitch to your ring and there's almost no slop at all.

It's mainly the mounting, but the little ones with a ball in them are naturally going to be rated for less. Either way, a 21k lbs pintle mounted to a 10k receiver hitch doesn't make sense, no matter how fucking stupid you are.
It's not mounted to a receiver.

And on top of that the only thing holding it is a 5/8 pin if the pintle hook is attached to a 2" □ receiver.

Are you asking if a 5t pintle is good to pull 15t or just if it will work?

We've hooked 10t rings to dump trucks with 40t or whatever pintles. For the most part they will all work together. Although we did get a new 40t trailer that wouldn't fit the new dump truck.....

Doesn’t hurt to have the correct sized parts for the job, although people use hitch stuff way beyond its rated capacity all the time without issue.

They're different. When you run different hooks and rings you get the rattle/slapping/jerking that makes people think pintle towing has to be rough. Size your hitch to your ring and there's almost no slop at all.

That makes a ton of sense, never thought about it :laughing:

When I worked for gomez bros, every trailer was either a pintle or a 2" ball. Each truck had a pintle/2" ball combo. Mine was even bolted in. Made it super convenient never having to fiddle fuck around with different hitches, but man does the ring have a lot of room to move on those hitches with the ball. :homer:

Are you asking if a 5t pintle is good to pull 15t or just if it will work?

We've hooked 10t rings to dump trucks with 40t or whatever pintles. For the most part they will all work together. Although we did get a new 40t trailer that wouldn't fit the new dump truck.....

Doesn’t hurt to have the correct sized parts for the job, although people use hitch stuff way beyond its rated capacity all the time without issue.
If it'll fit.

"5 ton" looks just like the 10 ton, so makes a guy wonder. Just needs to.hook together so I can pull it a few miles home.

We put pintle hitches and lunette rings on everything. It's easily identifiable if the trailer is properly connected that way.

2" ball was mostly for tow behind shitters :laughing:

I like the idea of that though, they're way easier to hook up by yourself. Another benefit is you don't have someone hooking a 20k lb trailer to a cheap ass 6k lb rated ball mount like happens at my work all the time.

It's not mounted to a receiver.
That was just a random example. I had a guy want me to re-weld his hitch where the welds cracked. He shows up with a 1/2 ton with a class 3 receiver hitch and one of those adjustable plates and a pintle hitch. I asked what he was towing and he said a 3 axle equipment trailer and a dump trailer. I told him the welds cracked for a reason and I wasn't touching that shit.

I might make something like this at some point. I have some 1/2" and 3/4" plate kicking around Blyers wants like $500 for that!

Screenshot_20231224-220954_Facebook.jpg

Reactions: PAE
I broke a regular ball mount hitch loading a 7k tractor. Hitch slipped off the ball. Hitch and ball 2" stuff. Poked a dent in my otherwise dent free 1 ton tailgate. I went to pintle/lunette hitches after that. Easy to hitch up by yourself and there's no question that its hooked up.

Pintles and lunettes do come in different sizes and load ratings. Most of mine have 10 ton ratings.

They make a little noise sometimes but not much.

I broke a regular ball mount hitch loading a 7k tractor. Hitch slipped off the ball. Hitch and ball 2" stuff. Poked a dent in my otherwise dent free 1 ton tailgate. I went to pintle/lunette hitches after that. Easy to hitch up by yourself and there's no question that its hooked up.

Pintles and lunettes do come in different sizes and load ratings. Most of mine have 10 ton ratings.

They make a little noise sometimes but not much.
Switch to a Bulldog coupler and there isn't any question either:
1703517698781.png

Aaron Z

Those kick ass:smokin:
They are pretty much idiotproof (in my experience).
The other one that looks interesting is the Curt "QuickPin No-Latch" trailer hitch. If they had a A frame style for a 2" ball our 6x10 trailer would have one now:
1000086883.png

Aaron Z

My boat trailer ( from the early 1970's ) has a variation of that hitch.

A receiver hitch that one backs into and then a steel loop flips over and cams tension on the 2" ball.

Pics below.

20231225_101149.jpg

20231225_101107.jpg

Switch to a Bulldog coupler and there isn't any question either:

Aaron Z

Last edited:
The other one that looks interesting is the Curt "QuickPin No-Latch" trailer hitch. If they had a A frame style for a 2" ball our 6x10 trailer would have one now:
1000086883.png

Aaron Z
That's neat

Traymore already is pintle and have pintles on 2 other trucks already, so no plans to change it.
Just don't feel like digging out the Mack from 3ft of sniw to go get a trailer 3 miles away.

1000086883.png

Aaron Z

I didn't know that existed. Ordering one for my boat trailer, sick of beating the 40 year old lever down to latch. That looks simpler and better for dunking in the lake than normal latches.

Top Back Refresh