What's new

Pickup toppers, school me.

Tiha

Red Skull Member
Member Number
Loc
Central Iowa
I have a 2014 Super Duty, Not big on toppers, camper tops, whatever. But having to haul stuff across country going to try one rather than drag a trailer this time.

Short bed, so 6.5 ft.

Looking at used ones.

From what I find and read online. Replacing the rear glass is expensive?
Seems like there are a lot of cheap ones missing the rear glass.

Ford Beds are the same from 99-16 with a change in tailgates around 2008, then again if you have the built in step. Is there a mod to make them work?

One I was looking at came off an 2011 F150 and looks like it fits his super duty perfectly, says he has used it on there a few times to Canada and back. Are the F150 beds the same?
Pictures attached. $400.

Looking at measurements, they look really close to chevy silverado beds. But online everyone says they do not fit?

Going to paint to match no matter what I get because I am silly like that.

Or is a used topper a mistake, end of story?

Attachments

• 297241605_8148629088495360_2774347603082341204_n.jpg
    297241605_8148629088495360_2774347603082341204_n.jpg
    118.8 KB · Views: 44
  • 296008321_5286864464768286_4863515162672840641_n.jpg
    296008321_5286864464768286_4863515162672840641_n.jpg
    119.7 KB · Views: 19
I have a '16 F-250 and went with the ARE. I can't answer any of your questions, but the side opening windows are incredibly useful. I wouldn't get a topper that didn't have that feature. I also had to have a ladder rack but you may be able to add those as aftermarket if you needed it. For the price, these things should have a better fit and finish.

20220728_152029.jpg
20220815_091341.jpg
20220815_091354.jpg

I have a '16 F-250 and went with the ARE. I can't answer any of your questions, but the side opening windows are incredibly useful. I wouldn't get a topper that didn't have that feature. I also had to have a ladder rack but you may be able to add those as aftermarket if you needed it. For the price, these things should have a better fit and finish.
Nice looking topper. I agree A.R.E. seems to be the best but locally used minimum $1k. Not knowing if I will ever use it again I would be better to take the enclosed trailer.

Looks like you have the step tailgate?

If I had a ladder rack the pickup won't fit in my garage. But I do see lots of toppers like that now. Says a lot about the construction if they can carry that weight up there.

Seems like the bed design on a Chevy vs. a Ford is the reason they won’t work. It’s been a few years, but I think that was the issue I ran into.

Have a soft topper on the current truck. Super handy because I can take it off in 5 mins and store it easily. Downside is it is less secure than a traditional fiberglass one.

I bought a used one for my dad about 8 years ago for his GMC, finish was poor so sanded and repainted. He still uses it today all the time.

Could always buy and resell when done with it. Check the glass, hinges, cracks around the tail gate side, chips on the corners, extra holes drilled in the roof, etc.

I'd stick with mode specific versions, they all have slightly different curves, etc. They don't seem to be like to old one version fits everything and you just lived with the poor sealing and fitting unit. Typically they match the liens and bed corners for a pretty nice gap free fit. Rear of the cab and glass there can cause issues as well.

first, it's a 6.75' bed. :flipoff2:

ARE. I had a leer on my 2016; it didn't fit as well as the ARE.

20220728_152029.jpg
20220815_091341.jpg
20220815_091354.jpg
Definitely get the side hatch windows

I got new at a dealer that was a factory second or blemished
I couldn’t find anything wrong with it other than it was turd brown , I had it painted to match the truck

So call around the dealers .
I got it for half price , cost $1,600
There’s no way in hell I’d pay $3,200 for it

It did have the sportsman locker that drops down from the roof inside , which is handy but cuts into the headroom

They are all very specific, to fit one truck
All the late model trucks have tapers and curves and slants in the bed that you can’t see unless you put the wrong topper on it ..

Unless the manufacturers website shows that that specific topper fits your EXACT truck , or you can test fit it before you buy it , don’t buy it .
And sometimes the half ton and 3/4 ton beds are different .

Last edited:
Not sure what your budget is, or exactly what features you want so my recommendation might not be applicable, but I'll throw it out there and maybe it will help someone else looking at toppers.
I've had most styles available at one point in time over the years- fiberglass (ARE), cheap aluminum, tonneau cover, and lastly a Softopper. I won't ever go back to any other style. I've had my Softopper for 11 years and it has held up great, although I only put it on when I need it, otherwise it stays in the garage tucked out of the way. In my opinion, that is the best feature of it, it takes about 5 minutes to put on/take off, as well as can be stored against the cab of the truck if you have a taller load. Sure it has it's pros and cons, just like they all do, but the flexibility it offers and the ease of install/removal make it my choice.

Unless the manufacturers website shows that that specific topper fits your EXACT truck , or you can test fit it before you buy it , don’t buy it .
And sometimes the half ton and 3/4 ton beds are different .
Great info.

It is amazing how many toppers are listed without dimensions or application.

Not sure what your budget is, or exactly what features you want so my recommendation might not be applicable, but I'll throw it out there and maybe it will help someone else looking at toppers.
I've had most styles available at one point in time over the years- fiberglass (ARE), cheap aluminum, tonneau cover, and lastly a Softopper. I won't ever go back to any other style. I've had my Softopper for 11 years and it has held up great, although I only put it on when I need it, otherwise it stays in the garage tucked out of the way. In my opinion, that is the best feature of it, it takes about 5 minutes to put on/take off, as well as can be stored against the cab of the truck if you have a taller load. Sure it has it's pros and cons, just like they all do, but the flexibility it offers and the ease of install/removal make it my choice.

Been seeing those. We don't need security, or even water proof. Just want to keep stuff from flying out. Thinking about it. Who knows. I am just starting down this rabbit hole.

Been seeing those. We don't need security, or even water proof. Just want to keep stuff from flying out. Thinking about it. Who knows. I am just starting down this rabbit hole.
I've been impressed with how dry it keeps the bed/cargo in rain and snow. I don't hesitate to put anything back there when heading out hunting/camping. Security- never had an issue but I don't really "test" that metric very often!

I loved having a shell on my F250, I wish it had side screens like the one I had on my Ranger, but spent many nights in the back of that thing. I can see how the side swing up windows would be handy. Found mine used on CL and paid $250, but I looked for that deal for a couple years. It was at a bodyshop that bought a wreck to flip.

I've been impressed with how dry it keeps the bed/cargo in rain and snow. I don't hesitate to put anything back there when heading out hunting/camping. Security- never had an issue but I don't really "test" that metric very often!
They've got a lot of great reviews over on ghey Tacomaworld, I've been thinking about getting one to replace my tonneau. Don't want to pony up so much cash for a hard shell.

i'd argue that even a regular cap doesn't offer any security.

sure you can lock it, but it's just one piece of smashed glass away from someone opening it.
My next one will be a soft topper.
Can't remove a fiberglass one by myself and it sucks when you can't fit something tall in the back.

I put one on my Dodge last year, lucked up and found one the correct color about 3 hours away. It is nice for keeping all of our crap dry when we take the camper places. I wish it had the flip up side windows, filling the auxiliary tank in the bed sucks with the topper on.

I found one 3 hours away, argggh. Guy had it on his Superduty, it is an ARE, He said it is older but it fits because the molding on the bottom of the rear window is rotten. Doesn't seal.
First pic $150

Found this second one, 2 hours away, might be the right color, but I gotta pull the roof rack and not sure if I would hate the visibility with tool boxes instead of side windows.
Second pic $300.

So those are probably my super cheap options.

If I buy a hard one instead of soft sided I will probably leave it on and I actually like the lower profile ones but I only see them on Chevys.

Attachments

• 296863444_5403521346360154_1204413631684026254_n.jpg
    296863444_5403521346360154_1204413631684026254_n.jpg
    72.8 KB · Views: 16
  • 294376490_5380654378696664_3562509273285981899_n.jpg
    294376490_5380654378696664_3562509273285981899_n.jpg
    142 KB · Views: 16
That’s the brand I have. They’re pretty waterproof as long as you get them setup properly. I love being able to stick it in a corner when not in use.

Super duty beds are tapered, which is one of the reasons why caps look fucky on them if they aren't for a super duty.

I bought a cap off a guy with a 99 and put on my 05 first, then moved it over to my 14. On the 14 in just had to slide it back a few inches to make it clear the tailgate.

It was a cab height cap. I was looking for one of those because they look better.

If I were to do it all over I would get a hi-roof version. More room=more better. Even putting shit like engines in the bed with an engine hoist was a pain in the ass with the low roof

get a hitop that sticks up taller than the cab. You'll thank yourself later. They're expensive too...even used ones are a grand or better for anything in decent condition. New ones can push 3-4k, depending on how gadgety you wan them. The other thing that's surprising is that the ones for a little 4.5 foot compact crew cab cost just as much as the damn full size counterparts.

But it's nice having that lockable space and a good spot to throw down an air mattress and sleep in the weather.

I found one 3 hours away, argggh. Guy had it on his Superduty, it is an ARE, He said it is older but it fits because the molding on the bottom of the rear window is rotten. Doesn't seal.
First pic $150

Found this second one, 2 hours away, might be the right color, but I gotta pull the roof rack and not sure if I would hate the visibility with tool boxes instead of side windows.
Second pic $300.

So those are probably my super cheap options.

If I buy a hard one instead of soft sided I will probably leave it on and I actually like the lower profile ones but I only see them on Chevys.
For the price I would grab this one. Guy I know had one on his 2008 chevy and another one one his 2016 Ford, bot brand new and both leaked at the back window. 2 different brands.

I loved having a shell on my F250, I wish it had side screens like the one I had on my Ranger, but spent many nights in the back of that thing. I can see how the side swing up windows would be handy. Found mine used on CL and paid $250, but I looked for that deal for a couple years. It was at a bodyshop that bought a wreck to flip.
I lucked out and the used one I got for my Ram had the screens. I got super-delayed in a trip once and just aired up a mattress in the bed and slept a couple hours in a rest area on my way to my pickup point. Saved a few bux not needing to get a room.
I put one on my Dodge last year, lucked up and found one the correct color about 3 hours away. It is nice for keeping all of our crap dry when we take the camper places. I wish it had the flip up side windows, filling the auxiliary tank in the bed sucks with the topper on.
Me too. About 2.5 hours away, and it matched the truck perfectly. Got it for $120, too. :flipoff2:
get a hitop that sticks up taller than the cab. You'll thank yourself later. They're expensive too...even used ones are a grand or better for anything in decent condition. New ones can push 3-4k, depending on how gadgety you wan them. The other thing that's surprising is that the ones for a little 4.5 foot compact crew cab cost just as much as the damn full size counterparts.

But it's nice having that lockable space and a good spot to throw down an air mattress and sleep in the weather.
Another benefit to a high-top is if you pull an enclosed trailer it really helps with the fuel economy.

I've been considering a soft topper. I haul weird sized things often so I need the flexibility. Got a folding hard tonneau on there now, but that thing is beat to shit and coming apart.

I got one for my 2012 F250 for $500, used. The new ones are stoopid expensive, I priced them about 6 years ago and the cheapest dumbed down version from A.R.E. was $2,400. I imagine they are just as bad if not higher now.

The back glass "IS" expensive to replace. Well..in comparison to what I paid for the whole top, they aren't. $400+ depending on which top, lock, hinges, etc.. that you get.

Also the fiberglass tops that fit the fords are actually very heavy. I'm a pretty big fella and its all I can handle to take that thing on and off by myself. So if you don't have something that can lift it, or a passel load of kids or friends to help you, consider leaving it on for a while.

I found on a leer top the struts overpowered the piano hinge at the top and bent it.

I put limit straps on the gas struts and it stopped bending itself.

if you get a cheapo top and the hingline is all bent, probably why.

Aluminum generic is what you want.

I pulled one off a 05 Dodge and put it on my gmt 400 no problems. It would fit my gmt900 also. It may not follow the bed lines perfectly, but a little weatherstripping and it'll keep stuff dry. (Also need to seal all the bed drains if you truly want it waterproof).

They're not great looking, but most of them have no glass at all to break, locking side and back doors, and very little too break or go wrong.

Just drop it on and clamp it. Ditch it when you're done.

I built a few pulleys on strut in my garage to pull it off and out of the way. Way lighter than a fiberglass topper also.

i'd argue that even a regular cap doesn't offer any security.

sure you can lock it, but it's just one piece of smashed glass away from someone opening it.
My next one will be a soft topper.
Can't remove a fiberglass one by myself and it sucks when you can't fit something tall in the back.
the old man special aluminum tin can looking ones are lighter than the fiberglass ones

kinda like ladders, the aluminum ones are the lightest

The new ones are stoopid expensive, I priced them about 6 years ago and the cheapest dumbed down version from A.R.E. was $2,400. I imagine they are just as bad if not higher now.
I ran my red 97 dodge cap on my new black 09 GMC for a year, was gonna paint it before the wifey said get a new cap. Fawk! I paid more for the cap than I did my first 7 cars combined. Buy used if you can find one.
I used to remove the cap in the spring and replace it when the snow flies. To broken for that anymore.

Top Back Refresh