What's new

Picked up a Clausing drill press for $100

Landslide

Red Skull Member
Member Number
Just picked up a clausing drill press for $100. Guy said it’s been setting for 25 years and is covered in lime dust. Worked when parked. Everything turns and spindle moves up n down. No drill holes or dents in the table :smokin: it’s the move the belt to a different pulley grove to change speed vs the variable speed drive system.

I think with a bit of TLC she’ll be a great drill press. I’m probably going to find a 220v single phase motor for it vs setting it up on a phase converter. Mostly my basement shop is more geared towards wood working.

ive got a big pig Rockwell like this guy in my main shop and it’s variable speed system. I run it on a phase converter along with my other machine shop machines.

I don’t think I did bad for $100 but I think I grew a third nut helping the huge husky seller move it from his trailer to mine. Moving it into my basement shop once I get it reconditioned will be fun fun fun.
645AE725-6D05-4375-A690-47F0BD5E184D.jpeg

No you stole if for 100 but it looks like you will have several hours in cleaning it up. I have a 1970's Powermatic version and love it. I actually think one company made those and everyone else made small detail changes and put their names on it.

Is anyone doing the treadmill trick anymore to run them on DC with variable speed?

Is anyone doing the treadmill trick anymore to run them on DC with variable speed?

I got a 90V DC motor from Surplus center and ran it through a worm gearbox on an old Atlas drill press. Still have 3 different belt positions too. I mainly did it for larger hole saws in steel. I can get down to like 50 rpm with decent torque in the lowest belt setting with the dial turned down almost all the way.

1230171752.jpg
1230171753.jpg
1230171753a.jpg

What's the HP? I'd run it on the VFD just to get the slowest speeds possible for metal and to not have to fuck with belts as often.

1 1/2 hp 1140 rpms. I have a new VFD I may use on it.

I get time I’m going to wire up a plug on it and test it out on my rotary in my main shop and see how well it all runs out.

I got a 90V DC motor from Surplus center and ran it through a worm gearbox on an old Atlas drill press. Still have 3 different belt positions too. I mainly did it for larger hole saws in steel. I can get down to like 50 rpm with decent torque in the lowest belt setting with the dial turned down almost all the way.

I’ve got and old school drill press like that in my wood shop. The power unit slides up and down on the pole to get drill height set. Pain in the ass really. I use a ratchet strap to move it. It’s a short pole that’s mounted to a large table base. The table can move up and down on the pedestal via a wedge lock setup. I’ll post a photo of it later.

Sweet drill press.

Having done both treadmill motor and VFD, it's a no brainer for me to go VFD. There is much more torque available with the 3 phase motor vs the tread mill motor.
If you geared the treadmill motor down it might be a different game but it seems much easier to just go china VFD.

I’ve got and old school drill press like that in my wood shop. The power unit slides up and down on the pole to get drill height set. Pain in the ass really. I use a ratchet strap to move it. It’s a short pole that’s mounted to a large table base. The table can move up and down on the pedestal via a wedge lock setup. I’ll post a photo of it later.

That does sound like a pain in the ass. This one is a floor standing model and the table moves up and down to set drill height so I don't ever have to move the head.

Sweet drill press.

Having done both treadmill motor and VFD, it's a no brainer for me to go VFD. There is much more torque available with the 3 phase motor vs the tread mill motor.
If you geared the treadmill motor down it might be a different game but it seems much easier to just go china VFD.

Yeah the DC motor itself wouldn't cut the mustard but with the worm reduction box it is a beast. I've used DC motors on a small lathe and they're perfect for that application.

Take it apart and fix it up IN the basement so you don’t blow your O ring moving it again:laughing:

Take it apart and fix it up IN the basement so you don’t blow your O ring moving it again:laughing:

I think just the weight of it scares the concrete floor some :laughing: I have access to some items to help me move it into my basement shop once I’m done going over it. Putting it in location will be the biggest challenge. I may make a low profile machine base for it with HD casters and leveling feet.

57056833-684A-4691-9E91-2D1B58C4414D.jpeg
This is the old drill press in my basement shop right now.

Top Back Refresh