What's new

Phiilips Hue

Motorcharge

Unregistered User
Member Number
Loc
Virginia
Who makes led strips and regular bulbs that work with the Hue smart hubs that aren't crazy expensive?

Buddy of mine got an extra hub and gave it to, figured I'd redo the lighting on my computer desk so it's not running out of the back of my PC case until I saw the price tag on the Philips stuff. Bulbs are like $50 a piece, the 80" light strip kit is almost $300. :laughing: And that's off Amazon.

Found a few bulbs that are supposed to work with it, but it seems like all the led strips I'm finding all work with their own cheap remotes and shit and don't tie into the hub. Not opposed to buying rolls of LEDs off superbright or something and wiring everything myself, but I have no idea what I'm looking for as far as controllers/drivers and whatnot go.

edit: Looking at these for bulbs. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07QXS57F...psc=1&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it&tag=91812054244-20
The LED bulbs in the overhead lamps in my apartment are starting to go out anyway and there's not that many of them.

What type of hub? Is it z wave? You can buy all sorts of z wave shit.

Edit: googled that shit myself. Not z wave

Last edited:
That nonsense sounds like why Wyze exists.

$30 for 4 app-controlled bulbs. Choose color temp & brightness, set timers, link them to motion/door sensors.

https://wyze.com/wyze-bulb.html

App control is easy and free. No hub required.

I've got 5 cameras and 2 smart plugs (one turns on my office coffee machine, the other turns on my electroplating station), but none of the bulbs.

Click image for larger version Name:	867e4d97.jpg Views:	0 Size:	83.5 KB ID:	201139

Click image for larger version Name:	Screenshot_20201118-132805_Wyze.jpg Views:	0 Size:	106.2 KB ID:	201142

Last edited:
Who actually changes the color of their lightbulbs once the novelty of being able to do so wears off? 10 year old me would have been all over that, but the current me just sees it as a ridiculous gimmick

Serious question, not trying to be a dick.

Who actually changes the color of their lightbulbs once the novelty of being able to do so wears off? 10 year old me would have been all over that, but the current me just sees it as a ridiculous gimmick

I change the lighting around my desk/in my case all the time. Certain colors are easier on the eyes and take a lot of eye strain off when staring at a monitor for hours.

With my motherboard I can also incorporate the Hue hub into what my computer is set to and it will pick up the dominant colors on screen and change the lighting to match. Wouldn't want that in the whole apartment, but it would be nice if the whole room illuminated based on that. Can also set it to be audio reactive.

:lmao:

giphy_1.gif?.gif

I have strips under my kitchen cabinets. I can set them to be different intensities or shades at different times of the day and I have them tied to a motion detector that turns them on red after 10:00 - in case I need to go in to the kitchen in the middle of the night, I don't have to blind myself. All automated and I don't have to think about turning them on.

Top Back Refresh