What's new

Peterbilt abs codes

Tell_Sackett

Member Number
So I have a pretty big issue with a truck at work. I'm supposed to take my class a test tomorrow, but I have an abs light. I have the manual for the abs system and it says there is a way to do a diagnostic with a button you press and count the flashes, but I'm having zero luck figuring out where the damn button is. It's a 2003 Peterbilt 330 with a wabco abs system. Any help would be appreciated. I've been trying forever to get an appointment and really don't want to miss this one, but if the light doesn't turn on when I turn the key on and then go off, I'll get an automatic fail. Thanks in advance for any help

On our kenworths, its above the clutch pedal on the left on the kick panel

If it's a work truck and not your own, I wouldn't bother screwing around with flash codes, get a mobile tech out with the wabco diagnostic software and have them scan it.

How? An abs light is not an out of service thing.

I tested with a truck that had something wrong with it I cant remember what but I pointed it out to them. They told me thats fine we are not judging the truck we see worse things all the time.

Tell them you would write down abs light on your pre trip and have it fixed as soon as you can but until then you would drive as if you did not have abs brakes.

Maybe its different state to state.

They wont fail you if your truck is broke as long as you say that you would write down ABS light on your pre trip inspection.

They are judging you not your truck.

Tour thinking about Kansas. Here in commifornia none of the examiners hold class a licenses and have never driven a truck in there lives. All they know is there check list and abs light is one of the things specifically on their checklist. Just took my class a last year I got it easy as I was trained and tested paid for by work through a third party so I didn’t have to deal with the actual dmv they were licensed contractors. a

How? An abs light is not an out of service thing.

I tested with a truck that had something wrong with it I cant remember what but I pointed it out to them. They told me thats fine we are not judging the truck we see worse things all the time.

Tell them you would write down abs light on your pre trip and have it fixed as soon as you can but until then you would drive as if you did not have abs brakes.

Maybe its different state to state.
I was under the impression that it all had to function properly, abs system in particular. I'll call the DMV in the morning and confirm I guess. If not I'll have to re schedule. I can't figure out multiple quote, but @ Beast, I would, but it's a small company and I'm the mechanic, equipment operator and laborer and the boss is a cheapskate. He'll waste hours and hours paying me to fix something that I don't know how to instead of fixing it properly. I pulled the front sensors and found a bunch of grease and junk on them. My guess is that the tone ring looks similar, but I can't see how to clean them without pulling the wheels and I don't have time to go through that before the test

On our kenworths, its above the clutch pedal on the left on the kick panel

Looked there. Even pulled the panel to see if they had it. I found two diagnostic plugs, but no button and I don't have the scanner. The one mobile mechanic we use doesn't either, he only does engine work.

I was under the impression that it all had to function properly, abs system in particular. I'll call the DMV in the morning and confirm I guess. If not I'll have to re schedule. I can't figure out multiple quote, but @ Beast, I would, but it's a small company and I'm the mechanic, equipment operator and laborer and the boss is a cheapskate. He'll waste hours and hours paying me to fix something that I don't know how to instead of fixing it properly. I pulled the front sensors and found a bunch of grease and junk on them. My guess is that the tone ring looks similar, but I can't see how to clean them without pulling the wheels and I don't have time to go through that before the test

Pull the sensor out and spray brake cleaner in the hole and use a screw driver to clean all the slots out. Have the tire jacked up and brake released so you can spin it. Then push the sensor all the way in until it touches and spin the wheel a few times by hand the sensor will move out enough it doesn’t rub. Later you can change the wheel seals out if they are leaking.

I hate the abs on these things.

Gotcha.

Only other suggestion would be to go through every connection point between the sensors and the brain and check for corrosion and/or damage.

Just had the one on my trailer done this afternoon - showed as an open circuit off one sensor when we scanned it, ended up being a rotted out pin off the board in the ABS brain.

If you can’t fix it I would just pull the bulb and when your doing start up say all warning lights illuminated list off a few including abs light then start the truck and say all warning lights go out. Odds are they aren’t going to look that close. Like I said abs light is one of the boxes on the form.

If you can’t fix it I would just pull the bulb and when your doing start up say all warning lights illuminated list off a few including abs light then start the truck and say all warning lights go out. Odds are they aren’t going to look that close. Like I said abs light is one of the boxes on the form.

This.

Its just for now. Fix it right when you can.

Well, looks like I'm rescheduling. Boss took, "I'm going to look into it tonight and we'll make a plan in the morning" as a not going to happen so we're paving tomorrow:mad3:. I'll try jacking the truck up and spraying some brake clean in there. If not, looks like I got plenty of time to pull the wheels and clean it properly.

Trust me, my test instructors weren't overly thrilled to ask "How tall was that bridge we went under?" and hear "Tall enough" as an answer. :laughing:

Pull the sensor out and spray brake cleaner in the hole and use a screw driver to clean all the slots out. Have the tire jacked up and brake released so you can spin it. Then push the sensor all the way in until it touches and spin the wheel a few times by hand the sensor will move out enough it doesn’t rub. Later you can change the wheel seals out if they are leaking.

I hate the abs on these things.

This is a waste of time and chemicals. Leaky wheel seal goo is not magnetic unless it's full of metal shavings. Just get the scan tool unless you enjoy chasing your tail. Even if you do fix the problem, it's not gonna turn the light out and clear its own code until several drive cycles without fault have occured.

This is a waste of time and chemicals. Leaky wheel seal goo is not magnetic unless it's full of metal shavings. Just get the scan tool unless you enjoy chasing your tail. Even if you do fix the problem, it's not gonna turn the light out and clear its own code until several drive cycles without fault have occured.

We tried to pick one up today, but the two places we called didn't have one. I'm trying to find one online right now

Edit, found one. Now to see if the boss will spend the money:laughing:

Last edited:
First go and check all the wheel speed pickups, push on them all to make sure one hasnt wiggle loose and has too much air gap, then look at harness going to each one for damage. Thats two biggest issues i find usually on our stuff.

Top Back Refresh