What's new

PBR

Right_side_up

ST4x4
Member Number
I never ran them but everyone that I knew loved pit bull rockers for a rock crawling DOT tire. Anyone know if they sold the molds or compound when they went bankrupt?

Didn't like pitbull tires personally, pbr beer is great when on sale.

The radials are one of the best DOT tires in my opinion. They are the softest DOT I have measured, and wear reasonably well and have good enough street manners for the weekend warrior rig that you don't want to trailer everywhere. They really impressed me on snow this last weekend for what that's worth.

I am running them in the 37/12.50R15 flavor.

Maybe Brian1 can give you an opinion on the 41.5" versions.

I have 'em on the wife's Jeep in the Radial Rocker 37s on 17s.....they seem to work well and hold up well and are good in terms of onroad manners. Spendy back in the day. Can't get 'em anymore AFAIK though, so it kinda doesn't matter. Next set of dual purpose/road/wheeling tires will be Nitto Trail Grapplers most likely.

I had a set of real early rockers on my mini truck, those worked well. I had 2 sets of Maddogs in the 39" variety after, neither set lasted a year and they would leak air right through the sidewalls.

My friend has a brand new set of PBR 42's in his shop never even mounted.

Ran two sets of 42/17 rockers bias. I can only compare them to swampers.

They are great road and rock tire. I never balanced them and highway speeds were smooth. Being lazy and not airing up for roading back to camp didn't seem to be an issue either.

They are not good in mud, but this can somewhat be overcome with RPM.

same as Gravy I thought they were great in the rocks and surprisingly good on the road when I had them 13ish years ago

Had a few friends that ran 37" radial rockers and they loved them. They seemed to work well in the rocks. I considered them, but by the time I was ready to buy it was in the middle of the whole trump sale implosion cluster fuck so I passed

i never ran then but a few in my area do and what i have noticed about rockers is they are a tuff tire. mud. stay away from muddy slick trails. its comicable how bad they are. rocks and everything else they do good.

Had 41.5's for a couple years. Nice road manners & soaked up bumps well, to be expected being radials. Performed well snow wheeling, left some to be desired for everything else. The plies ended up separating apart from the inside out. Tears from outside bead straight across to inside bead in about a dozen places... on all four tires. Wasn't too upset since I bought them during the trump special, but would never go with them again at full price. Ran them at 5psi snow wheeling under a fullsize rig... nothing out of the ordinary. Switched to 42 iroks and couldn't be happier, better in every condition... besides on road.

Another local fullsize had 44 pbr's, and had the same issue I did.

Last edited:
The radials are one of the best DOT tires in my opinion. They are the softest DOT I have measured, and wear reasonably well and have good enough street manners for the weekend warrior rig that you don't want to trailer everywhere. They really impressed me on snow this last weekend for what that's worth.

I am running them in 37/12.50R15

What he said. I tried several sets of DOT tires on my old TJ and nothing performed like those 37" PBR radials did in the rocks.

How long ago did they go out of business and did his 50% off sale after Trump won have anything to do with it? :laughing:

website is still up and their instagram latest post was just this past christmas. did they liquidate in bankruptcy or just a restructure?

I do think the trump sale had stuff to do with it. Not so much the politics of it, but the massive disruption to their product line and then the expectation that "sale" would be normal, and then the resultant price increase/sale cycle etc. If they'd've been able to keep it at one and done and had some real limits, rather than it just being a half joke that ended up serious, I believe it would have had less impact

ill give them credit. Certain sizes seem to rock(pun intended). the 37/?/17 is legit, But the 39 and 44 are goofy wide. If they made a growler in the same size as a TSL like 42-43/14.50/ 17, id be curious.

I also give them credit for making good on the Trump bet. Im not sure they thought he would win

Over all they are very hit and miss imo

37x12.50 and 41.5 radial are great tires and true to size. My 41.5s were like 3" taller than my buddies 42 iroks :laughing::homer:

I only ran them a few times in the snow as they were way too big for my rig at the time, but I thought they drove and worked well. Friend of mine runs them on a pig of a jk and likes them despite hating the tread pattern.

The 42 bias seemed decently close to size, but man the 37x13.50 and 39xeleventybillion bias were crazy under sized. The 37s were smaller than a lot of 35s and the 39s were only slightly taller.

I always thought it was crazy how they never made a normal sized 40. A 40" radial growler would have been a great all around tire imo.

I almost bought a set of used ones, but wussed out because they're not made anymore. (then went and bought a different brand of discontinued 42 radials :homer:)

Maybe Brian1 can give you an opinion on the 41.5" versions.

I got one of the first 41.5R16.5 set of radials and still run them on my crawler. I like the width and they are true to size. Works well enough on the rocks I wheel on that I haven't looked for other options. I have also driven on a set of 41.5R17 Radials from Nevada to Alaska and they worked surprisingly well on the pavement considering the aggressive tread pattern. I also have the 35R15 radials on another vehicle that is a mix of trail and pavement and I like them as well. Had a car hit me and it cut the sidewall of one. Their insurance paid out so I tried to get another back in 2022 and had zero luck finding them.

I haven't heard about them going bankrupt, I don't know what is up with their company. I think they still make the RC car tires and UTV tires but as I mentioned I haven't been able to find a new 35" PBR anywhere. Their website is still active. Last time I saw the guy was maybe '15 SEMA and he was talking about competing with China prices back then trying to keep manufacturing his tires in the US.

I got one of the first 41.5R16.5 set of radials and still run them on my crawler. I like the width and they are true to size. Works well enough on the rocks I wheel on that I haven't looked for other options. I have also driven on a set of 41.5R17 Radials from Nevada to Alaska and they worked surprisingly well on the pavement considering the aggressive tread pattern. I also have the 35R15 radials on another vehicle that is a mix of trail and pavement and I like them as well. Had a car hit me and it cut the sidewall of one. Their insurance paid out so I tried to get another back in 2022 and had zero luck finding them.

I haven't heard about them going bankrupt, I don't know what is up with their company. I think they still make the RC car tires and UTV tires but as I mentioned I haven't been able to find a new 35" PBR anywhere. Their website is still active. Last time I saw the guy was maybe '15 SEMA and he was talking about competing with China prices back then trying to keep manufacturing his tires in the US.
They haven't been made in US for awhile now.

Top Back Refresh