What's new

Parking lot lightbulb

fordguy

blah.
Member Number
Putting my new bucket to use, I need to change this badboy out.

What am I looking at, and what do I replace it with? LED?

Thanks

Attachments

• IMG_20230214_171705292.jpg
    IMG_20230214_171705292.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 31
looks like a high pressure sodium bulb.

I would replace it with LED.

edit:
HPS bulbs have ballasts and ignitors and shit like a flourescent.
remove all that shit and wire led directly into the line voltage.

It should say what it is on the bulb. Take it to your local supply house and ask them for a LED retrofit.

Pay attention to the LED bulb you choose, if you liked that warm yellow glow you need to find a 2700k or 3000k LED. Most are 4000k or higher and will look white to blue.

Check voltage to make sure it's compatible with what ever LED you retrofit with. Info can also be found on the HPS ballast wiring diagram label. Some parking lots with lots of fixtures utilize higher line voltage to cover all lights. Single light would probably only be 120v.

aw fuck didnt realize therws a ballast and all that nonsense. Not sure if I am up for rewiring that, may follow advice and just get the same one.

Bulb is very corroded and cant read shit off it.

aw fuck didnt realize therws a ballast and all that nonsense. Not sure if I am up for rewiring that, may follow advice and just get the same one.

HPS bulbs aren't that much more inefficient than LED.
miles better than a regular incandescent.

so if you can source a replacement just stuff it in there and be happy.
the bulb bases are all standard, so measure that johnny and look up the bulb base to get started on finding proper replacement.

my experience is all grow lights, but I'd call that one a "tubular" style bulb if you're searching.

It's been a minute since I messed with them, but there are 2 similar types. The hps mentioned and metal halide.

It's retarded simple to convert to bypass the ballast and convert to LED. I'm not suggesting you do, just saying it's easy.

At work we swapped everything to "corn lights" and sometimes had to use a base adapter (like a pipe hex bushing, but for light bulb bases).

If that light is fed with 480 volts, then you'll have to marrette in a little tiny transformer to drop to 240 volts (or whatever the corn light asks for).

They do make 480 watt LED lights, just put some in to replace the 1000 watt incandescent lights on or crane bridge :smokin:

I have always hated the light put off by HPS, metal halide is good, but 5k led is much more efficient and getting replacement parts for older HIDs is getting difficult. I just cut up all of the original and spare hi-bays at the plant. :lmao:

Most of the HPS fixtures I worked on needed a ballast as well as a new bulb. Meaning I never went up a ladder without both on hand.

Did you check to see if the photocell was working? generally they will fail before the lamp

What does the fixture look like? It might be just as easy and cost effective to install a new LED fixture.

Hack work warning...
Buy a variant of one of these flood lights. 100w was 50w too bright for this wall-pack on my shop.
VNSEQE_8fc3KQi3St9iMVkBw=w677-h902-s-no?authuser=0.jpg

Disassemble and you have 2x 50w LED flood boards and 2x drivers.

NhHG72ANMoBbOOUM4fLBHM7A=w677-h902-s-no?authuser=0.jpg

Gut the old shit.
ioCIUzJFLtEGffrXX9Ud1FA=w1203-h902-s-no?authuser=0.jpg

ZyWxa4FfdhNNvXqRh7jCn-Q=w1203-h902-s-no?authuser=0.jpg

"install" the new reflector on the old glass, no hardware etc.
uJ0GcQom5Fhhkdpl2l4PQGQ=w1203-h902-s-no?authuser=0.jpg

Profit?

Top Back Refresh