What's new

P PUMP PULLEY VRS TYPE II PULLEY offset?

Winchested

IH Scout SSII
Member Number
Looking for someone that may have a type II style steering pump pulley laying around to measure the offset to the outside edge on the inside hub.

Basically PSC is telling me to buy their 5.75" pulley. But size for size going from a 4" V belt pulley with a 6.5" crank was 1.44:1 speed over driven.

Their 5.75 pulley will only over drive me 1.30:1.

I'd like to get a 5.25 to 5.5" pulley and have found a few .750 bore pulleys in that range but none of them list the offset. All are for type II pump.

The stock LS gm p pump pulley is a 7/8" offset. (6.125" pulley)

Long shot but someone may know.

Thanks.

20221005_132201.jpg

Just got back an email from Tuff Stuff and they say no not interchangeable but didn't give me any measurements.

Looks like I might just have to go PSC pulleys only PP2450 (5.6") or Pp2455 (5.25")

The 5.25" would get me in the same overdriven ratio I had on the old engine. Not sure if the stock belt would fit with that much size reduction.

Heard more back from PSC.

The 2455 pulley:

the offsets are the same, but we DISCONTINUED that product because Engineering determined that the diameter was too small for the SBGM and was leading to premature catastrophic pump failure.

Thanks!

PSC Support

Maybe it's an issue due to over spinning at higher rpms but the Scout never got over 3600 rpm (5200 rpm shaft speed on the pump).

This is why they recommend the 5.75" pulley.

Try to see if these guys could help you. They’ve made pulleys for me in the past.

Try to see if these guys could help you. They’ve made pulleys for me in the past.
Haha I'm trying to be a cheap ****. Don't even want to spend the $125 on the PSC one...

All TC (Type II) pumps are a 0.664" shaft diameter but commonly mislabeled as 5/8". Same with CBR pumps. The CB pumps look similar to a TC except they have a shaft seal at the end of the pump snout rather than a ball bearing like the TC and those have a true 3/4" (0.750") shaft in OEM applications. My CB-X pumps and Trail Gear pumps are both built out of CB pumps but with aftermarket 0.664" shafts to match the TC's. P pumps are a 3/4" shaft. There are few pumps out there that are actually a true 5/8" (0.625") shaft diameter, with TT pumps being one of the few.

To the OP, are you looking for a pulley option for a P pump or a TC pump? Considering the engine speeds you mentioned, you can certainly get away with a good amount of overdrive to help with low rpm flow rate but I am also curious what size orbital you are using and which pump in particular you are trying to setup.

All TC (Type II) pumps are a 0.664" shaft diameter but commonly mislabeled as 5/8". Same with CBR pumps. The CB pumps look similar to a TC except they have a shaft seal at the end of the pump snout rather than a ball bearing like the TC and those have a true 3/4" (0.750") shaft in OEM applications. My CB-X pumps and Trail Gear pumps are both built out of CB pumps but with aftermarket 0.664" shafts to match the TC's. P pumps are a 3/4" shaft. There are few pumps out there that are actually a true 5/8" (0.625") shaft diameter, with TT pumps being one of the few.

To the OP, are you looking for a pulley option for a P pump or a TC pump? Considering the engine speeds you mentioned, you can certainly get away with a good amount of overdrive to help with low rpm flow rate but I am also curious what size orbital you are using and which pump in particular you are trying to setup.
Not using an orbital, this is just for ram assist. But running 40's it was fine on my IH engine with a 4" pulley ran off a 6.5" crank pulley with an idle around 600-700 rpm.

I wanted to match that low idle rpm for crawling with the LS engine.

Most of the sites seem to list TC and CB on same category of type II but list shaft sizes as .644 or 19mm .748

That's why I was curious if the CB .748 pumps ran the same serpentine offset as the P pumps.

Pump is PSC P pump.

Last edited:
So a CB pump on an LS with stock harmonic balancer and max engine speed of 3600 rpm? I normally use a 6" pulley for CB based pumps on LS engines but they are not usually limited to such a low speed so you can definitely get away with a smaller pump pulley. A 5" pulley would put you at 5400 pump speed max and that's perfectly acceptable. As for offsets, the P pump doesn't share mounting brackets/bolt pattern with a TC or CB pump so comparing offset between the two doesn't mean much without knowing what mounting bracket you will use for the CB pump and where it locates the pump body relative to the serpentine. Do you already have a bracket selected?

I already mounted the P pump to the LS bracket, as it was an '05 with a Hydro boost P pump. I'm using the same PSC pump from the IH engine. Not using a CB pump.
20221007_224015.jpg

Now I see what you are trying to do. I don't have a list of the dimensions you are looking for specifically from hub to outside edge of the pulley but would recommend checking out either PSC PP3508L or Dorman 300-202 if you will really be keeping your engine speed as low as you claim to get something in the size range you are looking for with 0.748 bore.

Okay coming back to this with some more research just incase anyone else wanted info. Dorman 300-130 will work by spacing the pump back 0.200" and pushing pulley on 0.200 past end of shaft. This is a 5.750" pulley and cheap. (bought one for $30 on amazon.) some people said you have to run button head capscrews tho.

Also GM 14100597NU (discontinued) but avail on thousands of GM V6 from 87 to 95 is 5.5" and is the right offset apparently via Ls1tech.com
(Dorman does not make a pulley that matches)

Or a Dorman 300-020 which is a ford pulley but is 1/16" off the hub offset compared to the GM this is a 5.865" pulley.

I've got some feelers out to people parting out a ton of camaro and firebirds, S10/S15s.

Yards in my neck of the woods in Ontario, Canada have nothing much older than 2000 anymore.

UPDATE:

So for further information for any cheap asses out there. The GM 14100597NU pulley is the 100% perfect junkyard pulley you will find. When pressed on to the PS pump shaft flush it is 100% inline with the truck serpentine system pulleys.

It is a 5.5" OD pulley vrs the stock 6.625" pulley.

So sources are 3rd gen camaro/ birds, S10/S15 with V6 2.8, 3.1 or 3.4L engines from 87 to 95.

Best part is stock truck serpentine belt fits absolutely fine, and sets the tensioner at half way.

Again PSC recommends their 5.75" pulley. There's is like $80 US (would have cost me $150 cdn with shipping.) they discontinued their 5.25" pulley.l due to apparent catastrophic pump failure by being far too overdriven. I figure in the middle is fine... I ran my pump at the 5.25" speed on my IH 345 for 3 years just fine.

Tag: LS swap power steering pulley
20221012_165351.jpg
20221012_165358.jpg

Last edited:
Top Back Refresh