What's new

over head rain shower heads

Member Number
Loc
socal
any recommendations? in the middle of a master bathroom remodel, looking at fixtures and there are a ton of options out there. plan is normal wall mounted one and then an overhead rain one.

Don't do any off the wall shit for valves. I used all Delta stuff trimmed out in Tesla.

How in the hell are you supposed to really rinse your ass crack with those "rain" showerheads anyway? Serious question.

And definitely drill out whatever flow restriction there is!

Handstand Derp...

Close yo mouth.

How in the hell are you supposed to really rinse your ass crack with those "rain" showerheads anyway? Serious question.

Like every other shower? Do you have a 150psi fire hose in your bathroom?

Delta 14" for the win. Delta diverters for the ease of install too. I had to buy one Kohler diverter for the girls bathroom and that thing sucked a bowl full of dicks to install...

High capacity showered heads must be registered as assault weapons in CA, and they can not be imported. Try it on Amazon, they will not ship them in.
Many people drill out the restrictors and the end result is a high velocity jet causing pain and misery. Low flow shower head need the small orifice to develop the correct velocity so they can actually do some work, so you cant change them too much. Enter Speakman shower heads. They have an adjustable lever that changes velocity. The CA neutered versions are the same heads as free states with the added restrictor that happened to fall out of mine when I opened the box. Keep in mind that they flow like a hydrant and will empty a hot water heater in no time.

https://www.speakman.com

Reactions: Clb

Close yo mouth.

Oh shit, see that's the kind of first-hand advice I come here for. If you hadn't said anything I would have totally been all :D if I actually managed to do a handstand in the shower.

Maybe I just have a great ass, unless a showerhead has some pressure to blast between the cheeks, water just seems to roll off.

I'm kinda relieved that I feel a little uncomfortable discussing this with all of you. I'm still nowhere near the biggest weirdo here.

High capacity showered heads must be registered as assault weapons in CA, and they can not be imported. Try it on Amazon, they will not ship them in.
Many people drill out the restrictors and the end result is a high velocity jet causing pain and misery. Low flow shower head need the small orifice to develop the correct velocity so they can actually do some work, so you cant change them too much. Enter Speakman shower heads. They have an adjustable lever that changes velocity. The CA neutered versions are the same heads as free states with the added restrictor that happened to fall out of mine when I opened the box. Keep in mind that they flow like a hydrant and will empty a hot water heater in no time.

This guy's name also checks out

any recommendations? in the middle of a master bathroom remodel, looking at fixtures and there are a ton of options out there. plan is normal wall mounted one and then an overhead rain one.

I have one that has decent pressure, but I can't recall the brand.

MOST of the "Rain Shower" heads I have seen don't have pressure for shit (even with the restrictions removed) and if you think about the head design, it kinda makes sense as to why pressure would be a problem.

The only thing about mine is, that I also have a hand shower in here too, and there just isn't enough water to have both running at the same time and have good pressure from both.

I considered mounting a tank in the attic above the shower to provide extra pressure.

I had a rain shower head for a while. Forgot what size but it was squared. When it rains it pours and all soap is rinsed off in seconds.

I ended up swapping it out for a regular cuz it would run out of hot water alot quicker than a regular showerhead.

Last edited:
Have you used an overhead rainfall shower head? I thought I wanted one until I stayed at a hotel with one. I'd put in a traditional shower head coming out of the wall, so you cans switch between the two. It's a lot easier to wash your hair with a traditional shower head.

Rain shower means just that. Spreads approx. 12” diameter rain fall over a area that is 2’ below it.

I don’t remember what brand mine is but I have messed with the pressure.
We found if you took the restrictor plate out that thing felt like a spray fire hose
Installed orifice back in with the hole drilled bigger and works fine.

Wash ass crack soap out by bending over slightly?
On demand water heater if you like to stay in there.

I have both. I installed two shower valves so you can have one or the other. In the summer I make the overhead shower cold and the business shower head warm. Its fucking awesome. After a few years the business head wasn't awesome enough so I bought one of those hose types . I have the cleanest ass crack on my block an no more hand standing.:flipoff2:

Many people drill out the restrictors and the end result is a high velocity jet causing pain and misery. Low flow shower head need the small orifice to develop the correct velocity so they can actually do some work, so you cant change them too much.

this has been my experience, well the wife's since it was the front shower that she uses because the master shower was too small, hence the remodel. i just started drilling the restrictor out in small increments until the she was happy.

The only thing about mine is, that I also have a hand shower in here too, and there just isn't enough water to have both running at the same time and have good pressure from both.

yea hot water supply will be a problem for the wife if she wants to run both. we have a 50gal heater that should be good for 80gal of demand so she should be able to get 50-60mins of run time with a single shower head.

I have both. I installed two shower valves so you can have one or the other. In the summer I make the overhead shower cold and the business shower head warm. Its fucking awesome. After a few years the business head wasn't awesome enough so I bought one of those hose types . I have the cleanest ass crack on my block an no more hand standing.:flipoff2:

WTF? This reminds of the scene in The Office where Michael needs his humidifier and his dehumidifier in his office. :flipoff2:

We can choose between 3 heads in ours and my wife runs the rainhead plus one of the others every time. We have a 50gallon heater and she could cook lobsters in her shower water. We don't ever have an issue with running out.

I did a remodel a while back in my current home, where I had a two person spa tub removed. In it's place, I installed a 4' x 5' walk in shower. A 75 gallon water heater helps too....

For the water fixtures we went with a Grohe combo overhead rain head, and a separate hand held sprayer (for those that require ass crack washout :flipoff2:). This set up absolutely rocks! The rain head has various spray patterns and great coverage.

I had the overhead rain shower pipe come out the wall at about 7' . The handheld sprayer hangs on a grab-rod off to the side, and is adjustable in height. You'll also need to buy the rough in box and valve.

I'm going to install the same set up in our new house we're building this spring...

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00FQCXR98/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1&ta g=91812054244-20

Last edited:
WTF? This reminds of the scene in The Office where Michael needs his humidifier and his dehumidifier in his office. :flipoff2:

It's a sensation thing. :flipoff2: I like cold showers but the rinse and lather like shit. Problem solved. I never planned on it . :laughing: Diverters are too damned expensive and hard to get matched with the valve I wanted. Worked out for the better.

..and another thing, It's kinda like showering in the sun when the overhead is hot and the business head cold. :grinpimp:

I have the delta knockoff of the speakman with the adjustment lever. Knocked out the restricter and drilled the bore out to a full 1/2” running about 85 psi and tankless water heater. I have considered buying some small spray nozzles from McMaster and machining my own body for it. Could be a fun project.

O and for useful info pertaining to the thread, if you use multiple showerheads put them in a loop to balance out the flow and pressure.

We can choose between 3 heads in ours and my wife runs the rainhead plus one of the others every time. We have a 50gallon heater and she could cook lobsters in her shower water. We don't ever have an issue with running out.

this

but we also have a 4th douche :laughing:

Top Back Refresh