What's new

Orchard heater / smudge pot info

Runningquarters

Member Number
Loc
Palmer tx
Picked up a smudge pot a couple of days ago and have some questions. The thing has been painted and used as decor but looks to be all there. But the inside of the fuel tank looks like it has some kind a epoxy liner, like it was put in it when they were cleaning it up maybe to fix what looks like rust in the bottom? Does the bottom part of these things get hot enough that that is going to melt and send diesel everywhere and burn down the backyard? I doesn't look like it has had fuel in it since it was lined. I filled it with water and no leaks though. Run it or run away and try to find another bottom? Thanks for and insights.

The bottom doesn't even get warm.

Mine sure as hell does. anything above the fuel level is hot AF.

Wouldnt stop me from burning in it though. Put it in a cleared area and let it rip, it'll burn that lining right out.

If it burns it out and it is rusty and full of pin holes like I am guessing, leaking fuel is going to be and issue. I need to make sure I have a fire extinguisher handy? If the bottom is shot where would I find a bottom. This one looks really old. Penguin heater C.R. Daniels Inc, Daniels, Maryland. Haven't found much info online.

yes you will want a clear area and a fire extinguisher.

Mines run away and blown up 2-3 times. Blows the fill cap off and spews flaming fuel 10-15' . It's highly exciting. If you start hearing the fuel boil/pop/crack its fixing to blow. Shut the vents and the flue, back the F up and grab the extinguisher. Most of the time it will put itself out if you shut it down as soon as you hear it crackling. but it goes from crackling to OH FUCK fast. :grinpimp:

OK so to start I'm putting it out in the bare garden away from the house. What causes it to run away?

WTF are you burning in it have a runaway? My dad got 4 for $100 bucks off Craigslist. We use the shit out of it and have never had a runaway or issue. We put 10 gallons of any used oil in it. Dump a quart or so of diesel on top of the oil, light it and let it go. For Halloween we dumped oil in it that had rain water in it that I was worried about. Still no issues

yes you will want a clear area and a fire extinguisher.

Mines run away and blown up 2-3 times. Blows the fill cap off and spews flaming fuel 10-15' . It's highly exciting. If you start hearing the fuel boil/pop/crack its fixing to blow. Shut the vents and the flue, back the F up and grab the extinguisher. Most of the time it will put itself out if you shut it down as soon as you hear it crackling. but it goes from crackling to OH FUCK fast. :grinpimp:

I thought the purpose of those things was to keep your orchard from freezing. Like, set em up all over the place and go to bed. Are you saying that they randomly explode and each one needs a babysitter with a fire extinguisher?

Shit I gave $50 for this one and thought I was taking advantage of the old man selling it. He had no idea what it was. Asked me all kinds questions. It was left in his uncles shed/shop. I told I didn't know much but all the cool kids on Pirate had one and his was the first one I had seen for sale around here in 3 years of looking.

OK so to start I'm putting it out in the bare garden away from the house. What causes it to run away?

Dunno really. Only happens when running full bore, vent cap fully off. Crackling that starts reminds me of water droplets in a fryer. Perhaps condensation/water contaminated fuel dripping back into the pot. I run a lot of used motor/trans oil in it so contamination is likely.

Thats a HOT bitch right thar! Hell, even the pot is red hot at the air inlet.
Click image for larger version Name:	Capture.JPG Views:	0 Size:	32.0 KB ID:	186689

Last edited:
I thought the purpose of those things was to keep your orchard from freezing. Like, set em up all over the place and go to bed. Are you saying that they randomly explode and each one needs a babysitter with a fire extinguisher?

Mine sure as fuck does, but I dont exactly run it like you would in an orchard. :lmao: flip the cap all the way off, and see how much air we can feed it/how big a fire we can get outtah it.

Well I wanted one to heat the back porch area, I won't run it like is was in an orchard. Thanks for the heads up on the run away part. The wife is convinced I'm going to burn down the whole county. :lmao:

Dunno really. Only happens when running full bore, vent cap fully off. Crackling that starts reminds me of water droplets in a fryer. Perhaps condensation/water contaminated fuel dripping back into the pot. I run a lot of used motor/trans oil in it so contamination is likely.

Thats a HOT bitch right thar! Hell, even the pot is red hot at the air inlet.

Things are making more since now:laughing:

Op

Run it on diesel first.

The oil tends to put off oders that not everyone cares for.

Get the hang of it...You don't need to run it full tilt. Dolly it around don't roll it on its edge or drag it.

Usually with the fill lid closed and the vent opened to two holes makes for some nice heat.

WTF are you burning in it have a runaway?

im sure thewayne can give you the scientific explination, but as i understand it when it burns unregulated, it boils and the incoming air has enough velocity to carry oil up the stack and out. then when it gets outside the stack and has oxygen, its ignites.

I got a top that I think will work for trying it out. That's the "big ice machine" There is a smaller nugget ice machine and a soft serve ice cream machine to the left. Yeah we have some large parties.

(Untitled)

Thanks for all the help yesterday folks. Ran her for awhile last night. These things rock, very little smoke and good heat. Did start to burn out the liner so I shut it down. Now to figure out how to fix all the little rust holes or find a bottom that will fit.

attach188089.jpg

They're all over out here but also "illegal" in most areas.

Ca smog rule/clean air stuff.

I think I'm going to have to find another bottom or fab one. The only other option I see is sitting down and silver soldering all the holes. All the fuel tank stuff I have seen won't hold up to the heat. These MF'S get hot so any epoxy type stuff isn't going to cut it.

Top Back Refresh