What's new

ONX HUNT or ONX OFFROAD?

Drakeslayer

Wet Trail Wheeler
Member Number
Loc
Southern Oregon Coast
I hunt but also would like to have trail info. Plus I want to know if I'm on Federal land or Private while wood cutting so I don't get arrested for stealing wood. Do I need both?

I only have the hunting and love it, seems to pretty accurate as far as class 4 roads and adjoining property lines. I only bought the one state, now I want to upgrade.

I have the hunting one. No reason to not know if your on private or public land. If in low or no reception areas just download the map ahead of time. Your GPS will overlay you position on the map. Presto you know where your at and avoid stealing wood and getting shot at.

Offroad does not appear to include the private land boundary info. It seems mostly targeted to trails/roads on public land.

Both 100%.

Especially for what you need. Offroad doesn't have parcel info. hunt doesn't have trails.

I use the hell outtah both of them.

I use gaiagps. Onyx is really popular but I like all the other layers that come with Gaia. Old mines, historical maps, etc

I’m the off-road one, can you search for forest service roads? My Garmin GPS I use the the car is great at showing the NF roads/numbers but it won’t let me search for them.

Most off road areas have free geo-referenced PDFs of which you can use on Avenza for free up to 3 maps at a time and lots of the public ones allow you to have more then 3 at a time.

I’ve been happy with hunt so far, but to be fair I have been doing more hunting/ fishing than “connecting the dots.” I have other apps that are gray for that and finding overgrown trails/ routes

Most off road areas have free geo-referenced PDFs of which you can use on Avenza for free up to 3 maps at a time and lots of the public ones allow you to have more then 3 at a time.

screw Avenza and their susprcption BS. Gaia and others can also import and use PDFs. I make quite a few of my own maps and Avenza limits that to just a few without paying boat loads.

Onx gets my money not only because of their excellent product, but their fight for public land access.

screw Avenza and their susprcption BS. Gaia and others can also import and use PDFs. I make quite a few of my own maps and Avenza limits that to just a few without paying boat loads.

I've got 7 USFS maps, including several MVUM's loaded on there right now along with 2 State maps and don't pay a thing. I think the FS stuff is free.

I've got Gaia downloaded, I'll have to play around with it some.

I like Avenza for how simple it is. I have contractors that I make maps for and it is easy for them to use. Definitely not super feature rich though.

Don't trust it next to property lines. This guy decided to trespass across my property to go hunting instead of walking 1/2 mile through the public swamp next to me because he trusted the onyx app which was off by 30 feet. I blocked him in so he had to come talk to me. He finally showed up 3 hours later well after sundown and said he was using the onyx app on his phone and didn't see the 2 "no-trespassing" signs I had up at eye level on both sides of the trail he walked down.
trespas.jpg

Don't trust it next to property lines. This guy decided to trespass across my property to go hunting instead of walking 1/2 mile through the public swamp next to me because he trusted the onyx app which was off by 30 feet. I blocked him in so he had to come talk to me. He finally showed up 3 hours later well after sundown and said he was using the onyx app on his phone and didn't see the 2 "no-trespassing" signs I had up at eye level on both sides of the trail he walked down.

We get a lot of work due to these apps! It'll get you in the ballpark, but you are right....it can be several feet off or more!

Top Back Refresh