What's new

Old welding tanks.....

total newb

senior jerk ass
Member Number
Loc
trinity center ca
Totalgrandmainlaw bought a house and i have moved the majority of my gear into the large detached garage (by her request). I have found so much old shit hidden away but i finaly found something legitimately sketchy. I posted before about finding vials of "coramine", glass syringes and suture kits.
lots of very old parts books and playboy centerfolds.

the previous family owned this house since 1955ish and the old man was pretty much the center of the town. The local go to guy for everything from boat & auto repair, fix anything, and guy how kept this lil town going for a long time. House was moved up from the bottom of the lake before the dam was built and his great/grandson was the last owner.

Off in the corner of the property i found 2 old welding tanks 90% buried in the dirt. Well i finaly dug them out and beat the dirt filled safety caps off only to find the still have psi in them! The one must have been nearly new as it only has '70 stamped on it. The other started in '48 and the last date on it is '75.

They are both male rh thread so that tells me they are at least inerts. Ox/argon/co2. I held a lighter to them and got zero reaction. Contents stickers are both completely destroyed.

Anyway to determine whats in them?
Ill grab a regulator and check psi in a bit but holy shit.

Odds are ill just bleed them out and pull the valves off as i have full tanks of my own and they make good legs for anvil/vice stands/shooting gongs and other such nonsense

20201127_134526.jpg

20201127_134529.jpg

Last edited:
Cream cylinder = Co2 in some colour codes

Why not just go exchange them?
Never can have too much extra gas on hand.
I wouldn’t go punching holes in perfectly good cores.

This. Arc3, arigas, etc. will take them as exchanges and re-hyrdo them.

What is a Totalgrandmainlaw? first thing I would be inclined to do as already said is see if I could trade them in. A few years ago I exchanged a couple of acetylene tanks that had been sitting since the early 70's

What is a Total/grandma/in/law? first thing I would be inclined to do as already said is see if I could trade them in. A few years ago I exchanged a couple of acetylene tanks that had been sitting since the early 70's

If the tank itself looks decent probably can get it hydro checked. From my research they are good for a 100 years from first stamp . You have 52 yrs yet and it will just get swapped out 100's of times and you probably won't ever see it again. What size is that? Guessing a #5 size 200+ cu/ft. So that should be about 200$ to buy just a tank.

I know i could take them in. One does seem to be a rental tank though.

They would have to be recerted obviously.

And if they are not o2/ox i could def use them up.

If the tank itself looks decent probably can get it hydro checked. From my research they are good for a 100 years from first stamp . You have 52 yrs yet and it will just get swapped out 100's of times and you probably won't ever see it again. What size is that? Guessing a #5 size 200+ cu/ft. So that should be about 200$ to buy just a tank.

They are taller than my tanks @215 or 275 and about the same diam.

Those aren't even that old. No swastikas either, lame. Just go exchange them for something you need.

if they're way rusty,
wire wheel, paint, then rub some dirt on them and trade them in, pay the $15 hydrotest fee

if they're decent looking and not horribly pitted
trade them in and pay the $15 hydrotest fee

post a pic of the valve, or just look for what CGA number is stamped on it, then google that to get a list of likely gasses

[486 said:
;n212750]if they're way rusty,
wire wheel, paint, then rub some dirt on them and trade them in, pay the $15 hydrotest fee

if they're decent looking and not horribly pitted
trade them in and pay the $15 hydrotest fee

post a pic of the valve, or just look for what CGA number is stamped on it, then google that to get a list of likely gasses

What would the cga# look like?
are the # the only thing allowed in that given tank?

What would the cga# look like?
are the # the only thing allowed in that given tank?
it's like CGA 540 for oxygen, 320 for co2, 580 for nitrogen/argon/helium
510 is the normal POL for propane and acetylene

all these are just by memory so they're probably all wrong
just google whatever number is stamped on the valve itself, toss in a "cga" so that you get properly related results

I found some that were already cut up last year and was wondering if they would be louder/different if the were sliced up the side with circle cut out . Long flutes/panels.

This may help.

CGACylinderValve.jpg

GasCGAGasCGA
Acetylene510Hydrogen Chloride330
Air590Hydrogen Sulphide330
Allene510Iso-Butane510
Ammonia240, 660Iso-Butylene510
Argon580Krypton580
Arsine350Methane350
1,3-Butadiene510Methyl Chloride660
Butane510Methyl Mercaptan330
Butenes510Monoethylamine240
Carbon Dioxide320Monomethylamine240
Carbon Monoxide350Natural Gas350
Carbonyl Fluoride660Neon580
Carbonyl Sulphide330Nitric Acid660
Chlorine660Nitrogen580
Cyanogen660Nitrogen Dioxide660
Deuterium350Nitrous Oxide326
Dimethylamine240Oxygen540
Dimethyl Ether510Phosgene660
Ethane350Phosphine350
Ethyl Acetylene510Propane510
Ethyl Chloride510Propylene510
Ethylene350Silane350
Ethylene Oxide510Silicon Tetrafluoride330
Halocarbon-14580Sulphur Dioxide660
Halocarbon-22660Sulphur Hexafluoride240
Helium580Trimethylamine240
Hydrogen350Vinyl Chloride510
Hydrogen Bromide330Xenon580

Why not just go exchange them?
Never can have too much extra gas on hand.
I wouldn’t go punching holes in perfectly good cores.

One summer I collected several #20 propane tanks from people just wanting to get rid of them. This was around the time of the new valve requirements, I had no problem swapping the old ones out.

Now I have eight tanks, two came with the camp trailer :homer:

Good thing we have a gas grill and smoker :laughing:

Reactions: KRT
You understand i have more interest in using them structualy than i need them for containment. I only have a curiosity as to contents more than need whatever its contents maybe.

You understand i have more interest in using them structualy than i need them for containment. I only have a curiosity as to contents more than need whatever its contents maybe.

they craigslist quick at 150
you can get a lot of pipe for that money

One summer I collected several #20 propane tanks from people just wanting to get rid of them. This was around the time of the new valve requirements, I had no problem swapping the old ones out.

Now I have eight tanks, two came with the camp trailer :homer:

Good thing we have a gas grill and smoker :laughing:

I amazed at how many people throw away propane tanks. My company does a lot of work at landfills and there are always dozens upon dozens of good tanks at the recycling centers - usually lots of new blue rhino tanks.

I got all my propane tanks free from various people moving or cleaning out old properties. I'd get old ones swapped out at walmart and then refill them at my local hardware store until they expire....then get them swapped again.

I amazed at how many people throw away propane tanks. My company does a lot of work at landfills and there are always dozens upon dozens of good tanks at the recycling centers - usually lots of new blue rhino tanks.

I got all my propane tanks free from various people moving or cleaning out old properties. I'd get old ones swapped out at walmart and then refill them at my local hardware store until they expire....then get them swapped again.

This!

My dad didn't believe me that you can just go exchange them out of date.
The guy working at the grocery store dont care, and probably doesn't know how to read the date stamps anyways. :laughing:

This!

My dad didn't believe me that you can just go exchange them out of date.
The guy working at the grocery store dont care, and probably doesn't know how to read the date stamps anyways. :laughing:

Yep, and always pick through the rack to find the newest ones so I don't have to pay the "exchange" fee for as long as possible. That's why it costs like $28 for the exchange and $15 for a refill. You're paying for the inspection and re-hydro and for the ones they eventually have to scrap.

Top Back Refresh