What's new

Old tank ID.

Mvanhelden

26 Wheeler
Member Number
Loc
Humboldt County
You guys like digging up old info, and are damn good at it! This old tank came with our shop, it’s from the 50’s, and attached to a sled. It’s got old military paint underneath the shop green. It’s in really good shape, what the hell was this used for? 1/2” Main thickness, and 3/8” caps, had a girdle type thing over the seam side with large 3/4” u-bolts.
6DA5F516-6B17-4628-B35C-8DAFED3BF6E1.jpeg
3BF32ADC-37A2-444A-8363-53EA5FA8CDF6.jpeg
4CD717B9-F187-49C1-8020-48E34B092C24.jpeg
FF6B6419-D36B-47DC-84C0-DC937E98C811.jpeg

My guess is propane . WP is 100 psi tank test pressure would be 250 psi . Just A guess I haven’t a clue
This. 1/2" barrel and 3/8 caps is pretty thick for an air tank of that pressure/size so it would seem to point in the direction of it holding something more interesting than air.

A bigger version of this.

Too many ports in it to be propane. Typical air configuration.
Fire suppression tanks, in my limited experience and exposure to them were vertical mounted. We had three units about that size and age. One ran an oil pacakaging operation.

3619C4BD-1DC3-4630-AC48-5A108FD2B72E.jpeg
A90C52CF-7A71-4003-9486-C17C50908098.jpeg
5DB90843-1AFC-49A4-9743-7EB912DCF085.jpeg
Got the tank inspected, built a shed, got it wired in and stubbed into the shop with 1-1/2” pipe. Going to take off from the main stem, and run 1” air hose from there and loop the shop, with many drops all over. Oh and I plan on adding to the shed once the little yellow one is gone, hence the bobbed side for now, probably won’t be for a few years or so tho. We have 2 fabricator guys that know their stuff cutting and threading pipe and such, I’ve never done it, but they are awesome.

I was expecting no turret or main gun but definitely tracks with tank DNA. I can remember these as a kid and always thought they were so cool.
133580828_B2oSVjA9_1aMadill171TimBrown4HEF.jpg
No clue what it’s mission is now, but that definitely has tank “roots” :grinpimp:

M-47 “Patton” running gear?
* nope… still looking

Last edited:
Sherman I believe. It's a yarder for getting logs up to the landing from the brush. Don't see them anymore but when I was a kid they were around. After WWII there was lots of equipment that was repurposed for civilian use.

li'l quick couplers inside but no claw couplers for when you gotta use a big hammer to drive king pins or whatever?
We put stacked 3/8” and 1/2” 50ft reels by each door, with a 3/4” quick connect stub for big stuff, no need for reels that big just keep a few hoses. Monday or Tuesday the pump guy from Rogers is coming to do the initial fire up of the compressor, it’s a screw type, and wayyyyy overkill for our shop. But we got it that way in case our rock plant, and asphalt plant out back pumps die, this can be used to run them, which we have had a ghetto hose ram from them so far for the shop.

Sherman I believe. It's a yarder for getting logs up to the landing from the brush. Don't see them anymore but when I was a kid they were around. After WWII there was lots of equipment that was repurposed for civilian use.
My friend's dad told us about two WW2 tanks that the turrets had been removed that were connected with 50 feet of anchor chain and used to drag out junipers, he started to say where one of them was but looked at us and said "No" I don't need you two dragging it to the house

Last edited:
There are some guys on the tube with one of those log skidders with an old Chevy body on it. They thought it was originally a tank, but the tub is much lighter construction. The skidders used Sherman transmissions/final drives and HVSS bogies, but the rest was purpose built.

"The Chieftain" helps them figure out what it is.

Top Back Refresh