What's new

Old school tow rigs

This goes to show just how out of touch people are that they thought that a FI big block with 4.10s and 2wd sized tires wouldn’t be able to pull that load across the country.
The diesel power war by the OEMs combined with douchedozer culture has everyone under the age of 50 thinking that anything less than cruise controlling at 80 with a 20k 5th wheel is completely unacceptable.

And a downshift on a hill? Fuck, may as well be broken down by the river in deliverance. :homer:

I'll take slow, paid for, and can fix with a hammer over payments, needs to go to a dealer, and always has to wait 30 days for an appointment.

The performance of modern trucks is pretty amazing but God damn they are built like piles of shit. So gone are the days of cracked dash pads and headliners falling down. Today's battle is sorry your valve body solenoid is on intergalactic backorder. Hope you have another ride. Price to pay...

IMG_3279.jpeg

Had something of this nature visioned in my head to haul the boat around. Cool.

This thread reminds me of being a kid, middle seat, in a reg cab IDI towing up Monteagle hill. Square body dually suburban rowing up jellico with a SBC th400. 97 460 burning the front tank first because it leaks and flipping to the rear in West Virginia.

Are we gonna look back in 2050 and be restoring 2020 1 tons? Or are we going to still be building pre 80s and 90s trucks?

Are we gonna look back in 2050 and be restoring 2020 1 tons? Or are we going to still be building pre 80s and 90s trucks?
You won't be restoring 2020 1 tons. All of the computer modules will be dead from tin whiskers, or the dealer only software to diagnose them won't be available. The BCM, ECU, and ABS are so interrelated that all have to be functioning without codes for any of them to work. Every bearing and seal is special made for that specific application, and there won't be enough demand to keep making them. If the ECU does work, it'll be in limp mode because the cat/dpf is old and worn out, and no longer available.

Last edited:
You won't be restoring 2020 1 tons. All of the computer modules will be dead from tin whiskers, or the dealer only software to diagnose them won't be available. The BCM, ECU, and ABS are so interrelated that all have to be functioning without codes for any of them to work. Every bearing and seal is special made for that specific application, and there won't be enough demand to keep making them. If the ECU does work, it'll be in limp mode because the cat/dpf is old and worn out, and no longer available.
Alternatively, we crack the coding and delete all that shit, but your .gov mandated brain implant Powered by TESLA will let the EPA know and they'll come give you the full handcuffed kids/shoot your dog treatment.

We're already cracking into the hex code of modules in the aftermarket to get around VIN locked 1 time use modules or to get around having to have big $$$$ factory software to program them. The computer will be the least of the worries compared to the proprietary seals/bearings etc...

The diesel power war by the OEMs combined with douchedozer culture has everyone under the age of 50 thinking that anything less than cruise controlling at 80 with a 20k 5th wheel is completely unacceptable.

And a downshift on a hill? Fuck, may as well be broken down by the river in deliverance. :homer:
Ha, right? I grew up around my dad and brother pulling all of their equipment with 3/4 gas powered Chevy trucks.

It's fun to use on local trips but anything of distance I'll grab a different set of keys. This was a 10 mile round trip to a local campground, dumping the tanks after winterizing.

Attachments

• 56F100 and Zinger.jpg
    56F100 and Zinger.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 40

That's me. I hate when something shifts, I want it to roll on.

My father use to run F600s and such with single carbs. All that medium duty had to offer. Soon as they sorted out turbo diesels, everything else is trash and doesn't belong on the highway.

All new trucks suck.

In 2050 you’ll still have people driving 20-40 year old trucks. The difference is you’ll remove one cheap Chinese electronics to replace it with an overpriced cheaper Chinese electronic. Just look at the difference between 1989 and 2019. The talk will be “man I remember when you could buy a K1500 for $2,500. I should have bought enough to fill 20 acres.

Okay boomer, go play with your carb and points.

I think when there is a demand and the engines are good there will be aftermarket support to crack the coding and run them.

I just don't see how with the number of modules in everything these days they will be manufactured well into the future. Or make the vehicle operable without them.

Hence my question.

Regardless no one wants a K1500 🤣

Attachments

• IMG_20210926_233517.jpg
    IMG_20210926_233517.jpg
    102 KB · Views: 46
  • download (3).jpeg
    download (3).jpeg
    12.7 KB · Views: 46
There's some about 2010 trucks that I'm excited yo be able to buy in half decent shape for whatever the equivalent of under a grand is in the future.

Until then, ifs, coil springs, OD swaps, brake swaps really just keep everything on the road.

Body swaps and vin/grill/firewall swaps will be way common going forward as it'll be the only way around buying new.

There’s going to be plenty of support for 20-40 year old electronics in 30-50 years. The trucks will all be haggard though. Plenty of 10-15 year old trucks in the rust belt are rotten already.
Especially the frames because there’s lots of ways for road grime, salt/sand and water to get in, but not out.

Pictured is the frame rails of my 2008 Silverado.

Not a lot of meat there to begin with, but then again, I doubt the manufacturers plan for these trucks to last as long as a lot of us have decided they’re going to :laughing:

Attachments

• IMG_1431.jpeg
    IMG_1431.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 38
  • IMG_1432.jpeg
    IMG_1432.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 36
Was hoping this was a thread with old tow rig pics. 100yr old Holmes wreckers, etc.
My old man towed just about everything with this pickup up until he bought a new one in '04, this thing drug a travel trailer around half the state, logs to the mill, even drug a Kenworth glider home on a tow bar once with an air compressor running off a generator in the bed for the brakes. I'm sure if I dug through enough stacks of pictures at my mom's I could find some of the KB8 ramp truck he used to haul the Jeep around

PXL_20230325_205448866.jpg

Top Back Refresh