What's new

Old school powermatic 81 and Rockwell Delta 28-3x0 virtual 20” bandsaws.

Landslide

Red Skull Member
Member Number
I bought a Rockwell Delta 28-3X0 around 5-6 years ago. I haven’t used it and it’s been put in a corner of my shop.

Fast forward to last week and I came across a powermatic 81 20” vertical bandsaw for a desk I couldn’t pass up.

So now I’m trying to figure out which one I want to keep or sell. I thought I’d just flip the powermatic but looking it over I’m not so sure.

Anyone have any experience with them to know the pros n cons to the makes?

IMG_3199.jpeg
IMG_3198.jpeg

Got the Powermatic 81 up n running to test her out. It’s a beast of a bandsaw I can tell ya that much. It may be my new saw too. I love the added chain pulley weight system to help raise the HD blade deck height control arm. My Rockwell / Delta is not this beefy in this area.

IMG_3212.jpeg

Can't speak on the Rockwell/delta, but I have an older Powermatic 87 that I absolutely enjoy using. Mine has a gearbox for speed changes and the blade welder as well.

If you've had the delta for that long and haven't used it, what makes you think you'll use the powermatic more?

Can't speak on the Rockwell/delta, but I have an older Powermatic 87 that I absolutely enjoy using. Mine has a gearbox for speed changes and the blade welder as well.
I wish either one of mine had variable speed but I’ll put in a VFD for it to slow it down for metal cutting.

If you've had the delta for that long and haven't used it, what makes you think you'll use the powermatic more?
I could’ve used it a bunch but just use other things as it’s stuffed in the corner and not easy to get too. The pains of too much stuff in a small area.

I have a beefy horizontal bandsaw also that I’m restoring but haven’t touched it in a few years either. There’s a lot going on in my life that takes up a lot of my time. So I do a little of this here and a little of this there. :laughing:

Top Back Refresh