What's new

Old Parents & Money

My parents seem to be very conservative with their money. Both are over 70, drive paid off well maintained cars and have no mortgage.
my in laws on the other hand...... their business went under with the COVID thing. (A tour company that did extremely well) but refuse to stop living the lifestyle of the rich and not famous. Still put the 45’ luxury yacht in the water, (that they still owe money on) yet complain about finances. Sell the fucking boat or don’t put it in the water!!! Just having it at the slip is close to $30k a year.

My parents are in their early 70's. Everything paid off. They never had much money, so they still live like they don't have much. What scares me is they live off of SS, a small pension, and some other small investments.
I hope they spend every penny they have before they're gone.
Were prepared for either or both to live with us instead of going in long term care, and we'll take care of them financially if necessary.

My parents seem to be very conservative with their money. Both are over 70, drive paid off well maintained cars and have no mortgage.
my in laws on the other hand...... their business went under with the COVID thing. (A tour company that did extremely well) but refuse to stop living the lifestyle of the rich and not famous. Still put the 45’ luxury yacht in the water, (that they still owe money on) yet complain about finances. Sell the fucking boat or don’t put it in the water!!! Just having it at the slip is close to $30k a year.

It'd be nice to know at least one set of parents is set.

My parents at least almost have their house paid for, and only one car payment...but that one car payment is hefty. My mom wants to retire, but can't, because she carries health insurance for my dad.

The more I think about this the more I'm ready to just say whatever, when they get to the point when they come ask for help, then we'll help...until then, I guess they can do whatever they want. Suppose all the bitching and crying we hear about their finances might just be venting, not a cry for help.

My parents do ok, because mum has always handled the finances.
My inlaws, mother in law will work herself into the grave to support her dumbass husband. He's dried out and thinks the world owes him because of it. Everything on a payment plan, any money he has, or thinks he might get, he spends. It's brutal. His parents are on their way out, and he's boat shopping.

Should the family deserve to inherit anything? Maybe I'm off base, but I want my parents to spend all their money enjoying this life and not leave us kids shit. I think it's our responsibility to take care of ourselves. So long as they are taken care of financially for the rest of both their lives, and they should be based on their finances, I don't expect or want anything from them financially.

That is what I want as well. My parents have always been frugal and now it the time for them to enjoy the fruits of that labor. My dad worked for 56 years before retiring. They are on target to take care of themselves, have their investment ducks in a row, Estate plan, durable medical power of attorney. Condo paid off, vehicles paid off. I don't want anything from them financially. Just want to see them happy.

Inlaws are another story. Always lived for today. We had to rescue them from their old house in CT because they could not keep up with repairs or payments, pack them up ourselves and move them to NC near us. No investments except a pension that goes away when the FIL passes. Leased vehicle, rent. And the biggest drain- my wife's older sister that still lives with them and does virtually nothing for them and hasn't held a job in over a decade. We have tried but they just go "oh well" and go back to living for today.

When that grenade goes off it is going to SUCK. I've already told my wife that her sister cannot live with us. So far she agrees but when it is either that or have her homeless I know that resolve will waiver. I will move out first. Maybe put a composting toilet and a shower in the shop...

It'd be nice to know at least one set of parents is set.

My parents at least almost have their house paid for, and only one car payment...but that one car payment is hefty. My mom wants to retire, but can't, because she carries health insurance for my dad.

The more I think about this the more I'm ready to just say whatever, when they get to the point when they come ask for help, then we'll help...until then, I guess they can do whatever they want. Suppose all the bitching and crying we hear about their finances might just be venting, not a cry for help.

Same way I feel with the in laws. I’ll live my life and they can complain/vent all they want but until they are ready to accept that they can’t live the life the used to (financially) they can deal with it. Last time we were together they were talking about buying a house on the ocean so they would t have to pay for a slip for the boat. Whatever, I’ll be over here keeping my nose out of it.

tw5a5.jpg

This!:barf:

You're such a discriminating gentleman.

e8270826935e0186ef257707c76a3f19.jpg

My dad grew up poor and is too cheap, he's just now, in his mid 60s learned that if you pay extra for quality you will get longevity. He has had his house 40 years and the fascia is rotting, he's had his job 30 plus years and will get a nice state pension, but he lives his job and won't retire, and he drives his 23 year old Toyota, to the point he will need a second car next time it dies, he refuses to upgrade.

My parents divorced 20 plus years ago, my mom is a Dr and has probably made 300k a year at times when she had her private practice and now in a cushy retirement gig at a university, she spends money like a sailor, buys 4 new tv's and takes 6 vacations a year, but freaks out when her beater car breaks down. She is very generous with some of my not as well off family members, takes my kids clothes shopping, etc. Her and I butted heads for a long time, things seemed to carry strings and I avoided her gifts, but we've been good, and if she drops off a t.v. or an expensive roast, I accept it, and help her manage her car and home emergencies, things aren't tit for tat anymore, it feels like family should be, I guess.

My dad is about to turn 70 in a few days, mom is 4 years younger.
They have always been frugal and savers.
To date they do not utilize a credit card - never have and we have lived in US for 23 years and counting now.
I would like to see them travel and spend more, however that is likely not going to change, old man was a trucker since his 20’s and just doesn’t care for driving anymore. Can’t say that I blame him.

My in-laws have their stuff together as well, they are very supportive of my wife and her siblings, and are living a comfortable lifestyle themselves.

Learned a good bit of financial responsibility as has my wife, neither of us care about being flashy, other than our home mortgage everything else is paid for...

You and your guilty consciences definitely care.

You got caught out worrying a bit too much about your paltry inheritance. If your parents want to leave this Earth penniless, that is 100% their business and 0% your business.

An entire thread of hiding, sniping, greedy little cowards worried about their ELDERS sitting home and saving every last penny to pass on. :shaking:

What's your poor old mom doing blowing your new multi-process welder money on QVC doilies? Oh nooooo!

You guys got busted, and like a bunch of 4 year-olds you're angry and resentful about it. It's so clear.

Yeah, she's undocumented so no one is sure of her age. She has no papers! So she better clean that kitchen before you call la Migra.

That's right, clean that kitchen you dirty little slut. Then afterwards you have 3 loads of laundry and a pole to polish. Yeah, get it nice and shiny, you naughty immigrant.

3eUA0Yb.jpg
Ahh, once again you think you know me by a few words I’ve written? My parents are long gone. I’m 63 years old. The only input you seem to have is attacking others. You really ought to see a mental health expert. You’ve got some major anger issues.

Ahh, once again you think you know me by a few words I’ve written? My parents are long gone. I’m 63 years old. The only input you seem to have is attacking others. You really ought to see a mental health expert. You’ve got some major anger issues.

I don't think I know you. I stated an opinion about a particular action and motivation, based on a few posts on an internet message board. I then made a moral judgement based on these posts.

You, however, attempted to diagnose me as mentally ill. In which State are you licensed to practice Psychology? And, I'm not familiar with a DSM entry of 'major anger issues'. Which pathology is this? Rather muddled, I see.

See, I made a specific judgement and stated a specific opinion about a specific thing. You however broad-brushed across everything with a big sloppy roller. That's haphazard and lazy.

So THAT'S why you hate people in academia, it's mommy issues.

Long time no see bro, how's microscope life?

I know many highly educated people, uneducated people, smart people, stupid people, happy people, unhappy people, successful people, and unsuccessful people. They don't always correlate.

I don't see much value in academia. Stem, sure, but in reality, stem hasn't done much for 99% of the world in years, we have thinner tv's with more pixels, but any productivity gains get sucked up by big business and big government to fund more wars, more government, more welfare and more academia. Lower fuel consumption, the academics raise the fuel tax to cover teachers pensions.

Several times in my life, in a debate an educated person, they lost their shit and "but I went to college! " was the best argument they could come up with:homer:

can't say I'm a fan, but maybe you'll discover a cancer cure that can clear the endless hurdles of regulators, lawyers, and not get buried by big pharma that finds it more profitable to sell a treatment than a cure.

My mom was a penny pincher. Over the years I told my mom several times I would be mad if she didn't die broke. I was always trying to get her to take more vacations. She didn't like traveling alone so I told her to take my deadbeat sister since she didn't have a job anyways. She still had a sizable retirement fund when she passed. I would rather she were still here than the money.

When I was younger and didn't pay attention to finances I had the misconception older people were better at dealing with money. The reality is if you sucked dealing with money when you are younger it doesn't just change when you get old. I work with a lot of guys making $100k+ a year within 5 years of retirement, most still have huge credit card balances, are still trying to buy property on credit, and have $1000+ a month in car/ boat/ RV/ ect. payments.

My mother in law has never been good with money to the point my wife had to pay the power bill when she was in highschool if they wanted power. She never made much and still sucks with it. She worked for the state of New York and could retire at 55 with her pension so she did. She's been retired 7 years, her pension barely puts her above the poverty level, she's still making payments on a crappy car, renting a place from one of her kids, and has 0 money in the bank. If we want her to visit, we are paying for the ticket. She refuses to get a part time job to help supplement her income and will die broke. Besides paying for the occasional flight for her to visit, we are both on the same page that she got her self into her mess and could get herself out of it but chooses not to. Not if but when she needs to go into a nursing home it's going to be world war 3 with the wife's brothers and her battling out who pays for it.

Luckily my parents are decently well off and while dad is cautious about spending they still spend enough to enjoy life while they are still able. If they don't have a penny left to give us that's fine. He made the decision to retire early and figured out how to make it happen and not live in poverty.

My mom is a compulsive shopper. Looks a lot like hoarding without the emotional attachment to the crap.

She’s lonely and you can live like a baller at the dollar store.

I suspect there is a lot of emotional issues going on there, but she doesn’t want help or to do the mental work to fix it.

Fucking old school parents do some stupid shit... I am always bitching about COSTCO crap fucking sheepels sample bull shit CRAP! Dad was putting some mangao chutny stuff on some griled shrimp from a COSTCO branded oversized jar. I realized that shit was over five year old and had a healthy mold ranch in progress.

My Grandpa whom Ive spent at least 1 visit a month to for the past 5 years passed away 2 months ago after his 92nd birthday. had 3 open heart surgeries and last operation about a year ago to put a clip in his heart to get flow again. He would probably still be alive if he didn't decide that he can walk 2 miles with fishing gear 2 times a week and that coffee and ginger ale had enough water to substitute the water he wasn't drinking. He had basically caused himself kidney failure. And was convinced he needed oxygen (it doesn't serve purpose if you breath through your mouth). Well he spent his last week about 3 days after his birthday in Hospice first thing they did pull the oxygen. He lived for 8 days in hospice with no assistance basically asleep the entire time.

What did he leave behind a bunch of old fishing gear and some plumbing tools. 3 weeks before he passed he traded in his eco diesel dodge ram for a minivan for his wife who is 64 he had no truck payment she sold her car that only had 4k left in debt about 9 months ago want to know what she sold a 2017 honda fit for yup 4k because thats what the dealer offered. So his truck was 51k new in 2015 he only had 19k miles on it and they gave 24k for it and charged them 37k for the fucking minivan. He did it with his boat and every car and motor home as well. spends a shitload of money and then complains it doesn't get good fuel economy and trades them in so that he could bitch about the fuel economy. He use to drive 45 miles round trip just to say he saved 9 cents a gallon on gas.

You would think she was 90 years old too with the way she is behaving. She thinks the 1200 a month she is making on social security is going to be enough now. 8 months ago before going on it she was making 30 dollars an hour working remotely for a linesman telecomunication company. Her next plan is to sell the house here in florida and move to nova scotia to be with her daughter and grandkids. Her daughter has denounced us citizenship and canada wont acknowledge here as a citizen because she literally brings nothing to the table.

So don't read his posts...

Or are you weak?

I find it easier not to read your posts. Sometimes Eviltwit has some well written information that I do enjoy reading. Still like busting his balls. Got a problem with that?

Yes but it makes them happy. The bank just allowed them to take out a 30 year mortgage..... :lmao::frown:

My Grandpa whom Ive spent at least 1 visit a month to for the past 5 years passed away 2 months ago after his 92nd birthday. had 3 open heart surgeries and last operation about a year ago to put a clip in his heart to get flow again. He would probably still be alive if he didn't decide that he can walk 2 miles with fishing gear 2 times a week and that coffee and ginger ale had enough water to substitute the water he wasn't drinking. He had basically caused himself kidney failure. And was convinced he needed oxygen (it doesn't serve purpose if you breath through your mouth). Well he spent his last week about 3 days after his birthday in Hospice first thing they did pull the oxygen. He lived for 8 days in hospice with no assistance basically asleep the entire time.

What did he leave behind a bunch of old fishing gear and some plumbing tools. 3 weeks before he passed he traded in his eco diesel dodge ram for a minivan for his wife who is 64 he had no truck payment she sold her car that only had 4k left in debt about 9 months ago want to know what she sold a 2017 honda fit for yup 4k because thats what the dealer offered. So his truck was 51k new in 2015 he only had 19k miles on it and they gave 24k for it and charged them 37k for the fucking minivan. He did it with his boat and every car and motor home as well. spends a shitload of money and then complains it doesn't get good fuel economy and trades them in so that he could bitch about the fuel economy. He use to drive 45 miles round trip just to say he saved 9 cents a gallon on gas.

You would think she was 90 years old too with the way she is behaving. She thinks the 1200 a month she is making on social security is going to be enough now. 8 months ago before going on it she was making 30 dollars an hour working remotely for a linesman telecomunication company. Her next plan is to sell the house here in florida and move to nova scotia to be with her daughter and grandkids. Her daughter has denounced us citizenship and canada wont acknowledge here as a citizen because she literally brings nothing to the table.

92 with a lot of fishing gear and a 64 year old wife- sounds like a good one

I literally feel your pain. My siblings and I had to pull POA out and use it. We were accused of a few bad things, but we were and are right. The bad decisions just plied up too deep and was getting physically dangerous. All forms of dementia are horrifying to watch happen to your parents.

My mom just retired and my stepdad retired a while back. Both very good with money. They live on our family farm that is held in trust. They run as many cow calf pairs as my stepdad wants to run and my brothers/sisters lease the rest to run steers on. Lease money goes in the trust and pays expenses which is mostly caretaking by the parents farmhand wages :flipoff2:) and a new piece of equipment or project that fancies my stepdad. Works really well.

My actual dad is a damn mess. Lives on disability mows yards for cash under the table, I caught him running a still again on my last visit, drives shitbox vehicles. He is constantly trying to get hitched to some woman or other which is always bringing some drama around. I can't even predict how that shit is going to go down.

My inlaws- one of them is already dead and my BIL and wife damn near never spoke to each other again over a bunch of junk neither needed or wanted. I would say my MIL is so broke, there is no way they will argue over that shit, but history says I'm dead wrong on that and there is SIL involved there in addition to the BIL which absolutely will not help. BIL BIL and SIL live hand to mouth off the indian/.gov benefits and whatever other hustle they can manage.

I give a shit less about inheritance, just get your shit in order so I don't have to unfuck everything when you are gone.

Top Back Refresh