What's new

Oil Drain Plug Repair/Replace (Bronco 302)

Member Number
Loc
OC, CA
I knew this day would come and decided to leave it for future (present) me to deal with.

Went to change the Oil in the 67 Bronco and got myself a new drain plug for it. Drained the oil, went to put the new drain plug in but it was too small.

The drain plug I pulled out looks like shit (it did when I first put this motor in a year ago), its bigger than stock, looks like it's tapered, and the drain hole itself seems to have some kind of insert in it.

Here's the current drain plug:

IMG_3791.jpg

IMG_3790.jpg

IMG_3789.jpg

Here's the hole in the oil pan:

IMG_3788.jpg

The stock bolt is 1/2-20, the current bolt looks like it's probably 9/16-18. I tried screwing a 9/16-18 bolt in the oil pan but was only able to get it started, the threads are obviously pretty fucked up though.

Any thoughts on oil pan drain repair kits? They all seem to be in metric sizes only, I can live with that. Cheaper than trying to track down a rear sump 302 pan and less work (hopefully in the long run).

I'm looking at this kit because I can't tell what's currently going on with the hole size and want some options in case M15 isn't big enough: Amazon.com

Last edited:
That looks like a repair plug.

There is most likely a nut welded inside of the pan, that is what the plug threads into. I don't see an issue with drilling it out to the next size and tapping it out.

I read your final part again, do you own calipers? Measure the hole and post up the measurement.

That looks like a repair plug.

There is most likely a nut welded inside of the pan, that is what the plug threads into. I don't see an issue with drilling it out to the next size and tapping it out.
Since the 9/16 bolt wouldn't thread in really, I'm thinking buy a 9/16-18 tap and find a stubby bolt and copper or nylon washer to use a drain plug.

Last edited:
Since the 9/16 bolt wouldn't thread in really, I'm thinking buy a 9/16-12 tap and find a stubby bolt and copper or nylon washer to use a drain plug.
Should work, it looks like it originally started as 1/2-20.

For the record, even the drain plug i pulled out today doesn't seem to want thread in at all. Hard to tell if the threads are full of the drain material or if the threads on the bolt itself are just smashed up.

Looks like there is "Single Oversized" and "Double Oversized" for 1/2-20. I'm not sure wtf the current plug is (some kind of oversize), I'm going to order both the S.O. and D.O. and thread the single in, then the double before I do anything else with a tap/drill/etc.

Ran the double oversized plug through. Got it nice and tight, backed it out and the plug's threads look hardly better than the old plug's. Put it back in, finished the oil change (after running a bit of oil through to get any shavings out) and put off fixing it right to next time :homer: :flipoff2:. Doesn't leak a drip though!

I think fixing it right will mean running a 9/16-18 tap through it with an appropriately sized stubby bolt and crush washer unless someone has a better idea that doesn't involve pulling the oil pan.

PXL_20230319_213119375.jpg

Tldr:flipoff2: here is some sort of Ford pan I shortened and welded an O2 bung/plug into because it had a repair plug that was threaded at some oddball in-between size.

Another option: I recently did on an aluminum bike pan is pipe plug.

Another option: I recently did on an aluminum bike pan is pipe plug.
Some boat pans come with pipe plugs because they expect the boat OEMs to throw in elbows and shit to compensate for their shitty installs that don't allow access. Sometimes they even come with a bung on each side. :laughing:

Put one of those ball valves In there so you never have to take it out again. Best thing since sliced bread.

Top Back Refresh