What's new

Offset gooseneck balls for flatbeds

Crashhawk

That Guy
Member Number
Loc
Ky
Looking at options for an offset ball for a recessed gooseneck hitch.

I've got a QCSB dodge with a flatbed on it. I'm looking at a 40ft enclosed gooseneck trailer. I'd say I'm going to need an offset ball to keep the trailer out of my cab on turns. I've seen plenty that fit in a turnover setup, but none that work with a fixed recessed ball.

Any input is is greatly appreciated.

Get the offset gooseneck neck instead of the ball?

This

My neighbor has a 40' enclosed gooseneck and toes it with a shortbed. He mounted his 5th wheel rails further back, runs the adapter plate backwards and still can't turn 90*

Plus he's barely using the advantage of the gooseneck, his truck looks retarded when it's hooked up, Cali lean bro :homer:
​​​​​​

Fuck shortbeds:flipoff2:

The offset couplers still puts the weight in the right spot. They aren't cheap though.

That will move the trailer back from the cab, but probably won't help when at 90 degrees.

The obvious solution is to stretch the truck into a long bed.

That's a good point, makes total sense.

It will help all the way pretty close to 90* though.

Yes, if you own a 40' enclosed and a shortbed...... You might be a :rainbow:

:flipoff2:

That will move the trailer back from the cab, but probably won't help when at 90 degrees.

The obvious solution is to stretch the truck into a long bed.

Yeah, that's why I'm more interested in something to move the pin back on the truck instead of offset on the trailer. But, that's not looking like an option with a recessed ball.

That's a good point, makes total sense.

It will help all the way pretty close to 90* though.

Yes, if you own a 40' enclosed and a shortbed...... You might be a :rainbow:

:flipoff2:

This feels like a cry for help. Who owned a shortbed and an enclosed and where did he touch you? Are the memories (or your booty hole) too painful to talk about here?

I have the B&W 10" offset on my 40' hauler, on flat ground it clears but was off road and it just tagged the rear window when the trailer axles went over a small mound of dirt. 18 Ram 3500 mega cab. You hardly know the trailer is behind you when towing with it. Was thinking about a 16" offset, that or clearance the trailer corners.

I have the B&W 10" offset on my 40' hauler, on flat ground it clears but was off road and it just tagged the rear window when the trailer axles went over a small mound of dirt. 18 Ram 3500 mega cab. You hardly know the trailer is behind you when towing with it. Was thinking about a 16" offset, that or clearance the trailer corners.

Well, that's not what you want to hear.

I've done some looking at an "Andersen Ultimate" hitch but it looks like I'd need the 3221 model which is on national back order.

This feels like a cry for help. Who owned a shortbed and an enclosed and where did he touch you? Are the memories (or your booty hole) too painful to talk about here?

:laughing:

I might have over done it. I do hate short beds on 3/4-1 tons, but I was just giving you a hard time.

I don't see how the little 4" offset ball is going to make much difference. Plus like you said, won't work with the flatbed.

The offset coupler will give you a lot more room all the way close to 90* you're pretty much not going to turn 90* with that type of trailer and a shortbed.

:laughing:

I might have over done it. I do hate short beds on 3/4-1 tons, but I was just giving you a hard time.

I don't see how the little 4" offset ball is going to make much difference. Plus like you said, won't work with the flatbed.

The offset coupler will give you a lot more room all the way close to 90* you're pretty much not going to turn 90* with that type of trailer and a shortbed.

Yup, that's what it's looking like.

I'm posting here because I can't start new threads. (My IPad is not the right version)

Anyways I have a student (flight training) that came down from NY in a camper. He's towing a trailer with a dolly. I've never seen this set up. It's pretty cool. It takes all the weight off the tow vehical.
IMG_0444.JPG

the wheels swivel

IMG_0445.JPG
IMG_0446.JPG

It didn't stop him from having two flat tires coming down. (Not sure of the cause)

He said they make a set up to tow fifth wheels also.

IMG_0446.JPG

IMG_0443.JPG

IMG_0446.JPG

I'm posting here because I can't start new threads. (My IPad is not the right version)

Anyways I have a student (flight training) that came down from NY in a camper. He's towing a trailer with a dolly. I've never seen this set up. It's pretty cool. It takes all the weight off the tow vehical.

the wheels swivel

It didn't stop him from having two flat tires coming down. (Not sure of the cause)

He said they make a set up to tow fifth wheels also.

If you go to a race track such as a drag strip, you’ll see them quite often. They put them behind diesel pushers and motor homes because the tongue weight of their race trailer is too much. My neighbor around the block has one.

I had the 5th wheel one a few years back. Had a rack to put the rzr on my bed and the 5th wheel went behind. Worked well, but it over complicated a pretty simple situation. It also had a tendency to scrub tires pretty bad.
I now just tow doubles.

Top Back Refresh