What's new

Official Snow Chain Repair/Mod/Tech and Showoff thread

CDA 455 II

ANFAQUE2
Member Number
Loc
No Country For Old Men
nOOB QUESTION:
1) How do you guys use the snow chain plies?
2) How do you guys make the snow chains tight so as to not use chain tightener/tensioners?
3) What are your tips/tricks/secrets of snow chain tech.:grinpimp:

During the snowmageddon of '16/'17 I bought decent quality snow chains for 33" tires.

In '20 I upgraded to 37".
Instead of buying another set of snow chains I decided to mod the ones I got.
Using ACE Hardware hardware/econo-style

I used bulk carabiners and chains
1705547858799.jpeg

1705547968830.jpeg

1705549267490.jpeg

One tool I'm going to invest in is snow chain pliers:
1705548227795.png

And chain hooks:
1705548311928.png

I now want to properly mod/upgrade my snow chains with parts using proper tools.
Please feel free to post pics of your snow chains/how-to/your tools etc.:beer:

Chain tool is a handy thing to have around. Go for the longer handle one

We already had a tire chain thread that you posted in, why duplicate ?

We already had a tire chain thread that you posted in, why duplicate ?

Because I couldn't find it.:laughing::homer:
Thanks for finding it.:grinpimp:

scooter2374
MEGA MERGE!!1!:laughing::flipoff2:

Why are your chains made of dollar store chain and not tire chain? Where's the v bars?

Why are your chains made of dollar store chain and not tire chain? Where's the v bars?

He extended them, so it's only a few sections.

They'll get ate up quick on the road, but for most of us, chains are just an oh shit back up plan that you end up using for less time than it took you to put them on :laughing:

Why I occasionally pick up broken truck chain sections when I see them on the road.
I had enough for a full log truck, so 8 sets of 3 railers and 2 steers but someone stole them. Yeah I know, who steals like 400lbs of rusty chains

Hell it's January 19th and I still haven't chained up the 4wheeler and hoe. That's a first for up here.

We did get a couple of 1.5' snows and the 1 ton chevy flat bed didn't even get chained up. Strange season....

Hell it's January 19th and I still haven't chained up the 4wheeler and hoe. That's a first for up here.

We did get a couple of 1.5' snows and the 1 ton chevy flat bed didn't even get chained up. Strange season....

Yeah it was surprising how good the traction has been this year.

Never ever once used a set of chains... no real reason in MI. The tracked skid steer on the other hand, i will be figuring out chains for that bitch one of these years lol

Saw those advertised, wonder how well they stay on... I have used the screw in studs on the tracks, they worked better than I thought they would.

This thread right here is why I am building a house in the high desert. It snows there two to five times a year, and its gone within a week. It's off the roads by the next day.

Last fall I modified an old set of cam-lock ice breakers I had left from my old PSD to fit the 35's on the superduty.
I already had a pair for the superduty, but wanted a full set for a couple of planned winter trips.

Turns out the rails were nearly exactly the same length, but the cross bars were short.
So I added 5 links to each cross bar. Needed the seat time on the TIG, so I tig welded them all :grinpimp:

52681766702_a6983fccee_b.jpg

52682782838_9353d858fc_b.jpg

Top Back Refresh