What's new

Official Martial Arts Thread

I did TKD for several years, but have not practiced in quite a while. I’ve been wanting to get back into it, I guess I just need to find somewhere that works around my schedule.

Did Judo over 20 years ago. I fell out of it and but mostly still stayed in shape. Was contemplating getting back into it. Just want to have fun and throw some people after work but I also haven't been thrown on my ass in 20 years either. :laughing:

Did Judo over 20 years ago. I fell out of it and but mostly still stayed in shape. Was contemplating getting back into it. Just want to have fun and throw some people after work but I also haven't been thrown on my ass in 20 years either. :laughing:
Totally hoping that I recall how to fall and slap the mat.😂

Me and my youngest box. Then both of the kids are in Bjj.

Tons of fun. I enjoy the hell out of it. My kids do too. I might try bjj this winter but we will see.

My goal is to have one legit boxing match in the next year or two. I have a long ways to go but I’m gonna start conditioning. Something to cross off my bucket list.

I need to. I started BJJ and muay Thai in my early 20s but my fiance (now wife) begged me to stop because she thought I'd end up fighting MMA. I honestly had no desire. Love the sport as a fan but never had any desire to compete in it. I'm 40 now so I can convince her that even if I wanted to I'm just too damn old.

I'm sore from reading these first 8 posts. You guys are great.:flipoff2:
Honestly it makes me feel 10 years younger. My cardio is not very goos but has gotten a ton better in the last 8 months. I would encourage everyone to give it a shot.

If you would have asked me if I wanted to go to a gym a year and a half ago I would have laughed at you. Today I go 4 days a week and love it.

I was mad I had to miss sparring last Friday because of my wife’s work Christmas party. I think I like it so much because it’s a few hours a week I don’t think at all about work.

well everyone knows Im a huge guy.. and obviously Ive been tall all my life

sure, I took some training.. but they were afraid Id really hurt someone my age.. and if they placed me with older people, they were afraid they would still get sued..

they had a point, so I never picked up MA again..

but I've had friends teach me lots.. plus just street fighting/fightin at school..

a good friend had a gym where I sparred some.. (boxing) .. but I never joined a league or anything..

I dont like the spelling of sparred.. it doesnt look right

well everyone knows Im a huge guy.. and obviously Ive been tall all my life

sure, I took some training.. but they were afraid Id really hurt someone my age.. and if they placed me with older people, they were afraid they would still get sued..

they had a point, so I never picked up MA again..

but I've had friends teach me lots.. plus just street fighting/fightin at school..

a good friend had a gym where I sparred some.. (boxing) .. but I never joined a league or anything..

I dont like the spelling of sparred.. it doesnt look right
Lol what a bunch of crap. Anyone with more experience than you would have wrecked you. Doesn’t matter your size bad technique and no skill will get you put to sleep. :lmao:

We're going to sign kiddo up for something.
Taekwondo or kids bjj are awesome for little guys. As far as life skills go bjj is an awesome skill to learn. It’s one of those skills that will allow the smaller guy to win if he knows what he is doing.

500E1C74-C610-4FEE-9F44-84FD9B1A74A5.jpeg

Lol what a bunch of crap. Anyone with more experience than you would have wrecked you.
Fifteen years ago I'm at a college party with an old friend of mine. He's like 5'3 140. Small guy. Took some fighting technique since he was around 6. We're there hanging out, drunk chick starts leaning up on me. Suddenly some giant dude with legs for arms, whom I guess was her boyfriend, pushes me down. Fell flat on my ass. Well, my friend sees that comes out of nowhere and has him on the ground. Fucked him up good. Half his size easy, and the guy was done for before he realized he even made a mistake.

Neat part was my friend picked him up and the cleared the air by the end of the night.
Taekwondo or kids bjj are awesome for little guys. As far as life skills go bjj is an awesome skill to learn. It’s one of those skills that will allow the smaller guy to win if he knows what he is doing.

500E1C74-C610-4FEE-9F44-84FD9B1A74A5.jpeg
yea, we're going to look around for something. this winter is skiing and skating, but once that is over would like to see about fighting or wrestling. I want him to hold his own if he should ever need to. I can't have him end up like me.

Lol what a bunch of crap. Anyone with more experience than you would have wrecked you. Doesn’t matter your size bad technique and no skill will get you put to sleep. :lmao:
Yep, dude’s full of shit.

Old buddy of mine is at least 6’6”, twice as thick as me, and he was doing mma for quite a while, even doing legit competition. No one once ever pulled him for being afraid he’d wreck someone:laughing:

He’s a repo man for a buy here pay here bling car rims company now. You don’t fuck with him. :flipoff2:

Wouldn't mind brushing up on my tussling but don't really have time or desire for it. Once the boys older I might. Neighbors been going with his kid.

Honestly it makes me feel 10 years younger. My cardio is not very goos but has gotten a ton better in the last 8 months. I would encourage everyone to give it a shot.

If you would have asked me if I wanted to go to a gym a year and a half ago I would have laughed at you. Today I go 4 days a week and love it.

I was mad I had to miss sparring last Friday because of my wife’s work Christmas party. I think I like it so much because it’s a few hours a week I don’t think at all about work.
No reason you had to miss sparring. :flipoff2:
1000000304.png

I train in Gracie Jiu-Jitsu on and off threw work.
1000000305.gif
:laughing:

They might have worried he wouldn’t have enough self control to stop a movement? Either way :lmao: never meet or seen a guy that was to big to start training. :lmao::lmao:

Wonder if fart fan is named Lenny? Does he like to pet rabbits?

I haven't practiced any martial arts since I was in high school. Too old and fat to start again.:lmao::flipoff2:

Wouldn't mind brushing up on my tussling but don't really have time or desire for it. Once the boys older I might. Neighbors been going with his kid.

No reason you had to miss sparring. :flipoff2:
1000000304.png

1000000305.gif
:laughing:
That’s one of the few things I miss from being on the I-90 corridor. Found several very cool private places to study up there throughout the years. Took some aggressive actual combatish/street fighting style stuff up there for a while. No belts or names. Just a very talented dude who understood contact fighting. Learn a few moves. Put some head gear and bag gloves on and go about 80% figuring out how to add that in and what happens when you do it wrong:lmao: I thought I was tougher than I was for a while. Learned a ton but I am sure I did a lot of damage that I am paying for now. Also took Doce Pares for like 6 years. It was harder being tall and it has been mostly developed for 5 foot nothing tall people. But that forced good form. If you can find a real Doce Pares school I would highly recommend it to anyone. Its extremely practical and anyone under around 5’6” with a good understanding of it is flat out scary.

I want to get back into some sort of grappling but there is nothing in my area. Probably going to start rolling a bit with the boys so they can learn some basics from me while I can still move that way.

That’s one of the few things I miss from being on the I-90 corridor. Found several very cool private places to study up there throughout the years. Took some aggressive actual combatish/street fighting style stuff up there for a while. No belts or names. Just a very talented dude who understood contact fighting. Learn a few moves. Put some head gear and bag gloves on and go about 80% figuring out how to add that in and what happens when you do it wrong:lmao: I thought I was tougher than I was for a while. Learned a ton but I am sure I did a lot of damage that I am paying for now. Also took Doce Pares for like 6 years. It was harder being tall and it has been mostly developed for 5 foot nothing tall people. But that forced good form. If you can find a real Doce Pares school I would highly recommend it to anyone. Its extremely practical and anyone under around 5’6” with a good understanding of it is flat out scary.

I want to get back into some sort of grappling but there is nothing in my area. Probably going to start rolling a bit with the boys so they can learn some basics from me while I can still move that way.
There's a Rex Kwando outfit down the road that's supposed to be good :laughing:

Top Back Refresh