No Country For Old Men
Let's see your:
1) Batter recipes/store-bought mixes
2) Fish you use and like
3) What you use to fry
4) What oil you use
5) Tips/suggestions and secrets

My 1st nOOB question:
When using a beer batter; do you let the beer go flat first or straight out of the can/bottle?🤔

Miller high life right out the can, champagne baby
Wash the fish with cold water and pat dry with a paper towel, then dip in egg before the flour mix
Flour with a pinch of corn starch
Salt
Pepper
Add what ever spices that you like
[I use onion powder, garlic powder and paprika]
Regular canola/vegetable oil

After it comes out the fryer, make sure to put it on a wire rack for cooling. This helps to prevent it from getting soggy.

Also I'm frying fresh cod/halibut

Edit: forgot to add the egg to help the batter stick. Thanks Tin Roof for reminding me

Last edited:
Miller high life right out the can, champagne baby
Flour with a pinch of corn starch
Salt
Pepper
Add what ever spices that you like
Regular canola/vegetable oil

Also I'm frying fresh cod/halibut
You ever tried with flat beer?

My experience:
45 years ago my buddy's older brother bought a couple beers/opened both and left them out to go flat.
Next day made the batter/turned out awesome.

Rainbow Trout at the state park on the open grill, wood fire, butter and lemon brushed on fish.

Oh yea, those stocked trout that tase like mud. Nothin better n that:lmao:

Southern catfish:

Buttermilk

Cornmeal
Flour
Season all

Peanut oil

Dip the fish in the buttermilk before coating. Cornmeal is generally 3 times the amount of flour. Season the coating to taste.

In the 60's and 70's the creek and lake I fished in weren't stocked.

Presumably you weren't born that early on so you have no knowledge of what I speak of during that time.

Oh yea, those stocked trout that tase like mud. Nothin better n that:lmao:

For pan fish I like to just dip them in eggs and flour and fry them, same for morel mushrooms. When we do catfish we use a beer batter. The Louisiana brand seasonings and batter mixes are decent.

You ever tried with flat beer?

My experience:
45 years ago my buddy's older brother bought a couple beers/opened both and left them out to go flat.
Next day made the batter/turned out awesome.
Never used flat beer, I like the batter too have a poof/airy to it. Main reason I use high life for all the little bubbles and a pinch of corn starch to get the consistency when it's fried.

Now this April when rock cod opens, I'll give it a try with some flat pacifico.

For #2 (the recipes, oils, and seasoning have been answered)

Cod or Haddock are great choices (Haddocks are a Cod sub specie) for fresh East Coast fish if you want a thicker cut

Tilapia works but is a thinner fillet so cooks faster (although essentially and rightly referred to as a garbage fish).

Some of the best Fish & Chips I've ever had was made with Halibut caught that day off the coast of Oregon (Pacific City - Pelican Pub).

I've done Rockfish/Striper but they are such a delicacy that I prefer not to fry them.

Basically any flaky/tender white fish that you can source fresh locally is the best choice. The less 'fishy' tasting the better.

And nothing beats the one that you pulled outta the water yourself!

Last edited:
Fishing at the base of the falls was the best now or 55 years ago.
img_2794.jpg

Last edited:
Andy's Red

Largemouth Bass and Catfish

Deep cast iron or electric deep fryer

Vegetable oil

wash fish and shake dry, toss in batter bowl, flip, shake, flip, shake and into the oil

never sits long enough to get soggy, but line the pan with bread to catch any oil if it sits.

When the smelt were running in The Great Lakes, we would catch them by hundreds on any given night before Easter.
Quick beheading and gutting.
Pancake batter and a three to four minutes fry either lake side or at home was just the best memory of my childhood.

When the smelt were running in The Great Lakes, we would catch them by hundreds on any given night before Easter.
Pancake batter and a three to four minutes fry either lake side or at home was just the best memory of my childhood.

Interesting; pancake batter frying.🤔:smokin:

Alright, Homie Slice:

If Im at home, its fresh grouper cut into 1" chunks, with stone ground flour, bay seasoning, shiner bock, deep fried in a really light olive oil. Or if Im getting fancy same recipe with peanu mahi cut in strips. Fucking awesome! Everybody gives me shit for deep frying mahi, until they try it. Little secret I learned in Cabo .

If im up north its either perch or walleye strips, in stone ground flour, salt and pepper, labatts, and and deep fried the same.

Last edited:
The first time that we ordered this big fish lunch special, my wife asked the bartender what kind of fish the Big Fish lunch was ….the answer was …. FRIED …..🤪🍻

Last edited:
and its not even a good beer:stirthepot:
Back in '04 I visited a buddy who was on a business trip to Seattle; we went to an English pub called Elephant & Castle by Pier 59/Seattle Aquarium.
I wanted the English experience so I ordered fish-n-chips and an English beer (from tap); I'm not a beer-drinker.

I don't know shit from Shinola regarding beer; but that English beer was good.:grinpimp:
I'm going to W.A.G. part of the reason said beer was good was because it came from tap.

Back in '04 I visited a buddy who was on a business trip to Seattle; we went to an English pub called Elephant & Castle by Pier 59/Seattle Aquarium.
I wanted the English experience so I ordered fish-n-chips and an English beer (from tap); I'm not a beer-drinker.

I don't know shit from Shinola regarding beer; but that English beer was good.:grinpimp:
I'm going to W.A.G. part of the reason said beer was good was because it came from tap.

True fish and chips is served in newspaper. And the problem with some English beer is the bitters, that stuff is aweful.

Top Back Refresh