What's new

office chairs

I had no idea. Apparently, they picked these up at a yard sale thirty years ago. Says Haworth on the bottom. I looked up Haworth chairs. Seems like a ton of money for a chair but it's my favorite amid all of the 'new' office chairs. So there's that. Also the new ones are slowly dying and this one is skookum as fuck. Looks similar to the Improv series.

Roughly $2500+

We just got a Secret Labs Omega...quite nice, better built than most stuff, but also a bit more expensive.

https://www.autonomous.ai/office-chairs/ergonomic-chair

or used Herman Miller if you can get your hands on one for a non-absurd price.

I just got to bring my office chair home yesterday. Turns out it’s a Herman Miller. Old one I’ve had at home forever recently really really started showing it’s age. The HM wasn’t my favorite when working in the office, but it’s so much nicer in a direct comparison.

edit: Looks like the Mirra 2

Last edited:
I've been rocking this chunk of vintage about 10 years since buying it at a jail auction for $3. Put new wheels on it, the original ones sounded like files getting drug on my hardwoods. There is more total real chrome on this than a modern car factory uses in a year.

Unfortunately its starting to break down. Not sure if I'm going to refoam the cushion or get a new one. Tempted by some of the gamer style chairs. Used a hermon for a long time in the office and it was OK, not great. There was a demo chair I used for a while, then one day it was gone. Really wish I had grabbed the model, it was perfect. Even told the office manager to buy it back and take it out of my paycheck

PXL_20201217_190606515.jpg

I have an office chair that I hate sitting in. Thinking about taking the seat off the base and installing a Mastercraft seat or something.

bought a gamer chair at Staples.....it's been good. sits you up good and straight. It was about $250

Old beat to shit Mastercraft welded to a chair base. Quite comfy.

We just got a Secret Labs Omega...quite nice, better built than most stuff, but also a bit more expensive.

I've got the Titan XL. Yes, pricey and the foam is pretty stiff. It's slowly breaking down and getting more comfortable. Love all the adjustments, the ability to recline and the simple fact it fits my 300lb 6'4" frame.

I've got an Aeron large at work, its nice too but not quite big enough for my tall torso

I have this one and love it, fucking $$$ for a chair though.

Chairs are expensive much like mattresses are. Looks that way but if you divide out how much time you spend in it (for desk workers) vs the cost its one of the cheapest things you own.

I've done the car seat thing. Drilled flat bar out and bolted it to a chair base and then just welded the flat bar to the seat bracket. Sat high, but I'm tall. Wanted to get leather ones with controls and heat, but never got around to it.

The gaming racing chairs are all made by the same company and rebranded. They're ok for a couple hours, but they've got terrible ergonomics. I've got a GT Omega Pro XL sitting here that's exactly the same thing for like half the price. The bolsters are unnecessary and dig into you legs, but other than that it's fine. Kills my back if I sit in it for hours on end though. The Autonomous Ergo I've got beats the absolute shit out of the GT Omega one. There's a reason none of the gaming chair companies have hour ratings on them like office chairs.

The gaming racing chairs are all made by the same company and rebranded.

Not true. Most of them are knock offs of themselves, but there are some that are very original.

I have a DXRacer Classic Series that is pretty unique for a "gaming" chair. For one, it doesn't have leg bolsters. Anyone who buys a desk chair that has leg bolster deserves to be uncomfortable. How many Gs are you pulling at your desk anyway? My DXRacer has a lumbar cushion that helps with my back and a all steel and aluminum frame and casters which few of the cheap knocks have. I paid about $400 for it 2 or 3 years ago and it's been a great chair. Before I was working 7-5 again I used to recline it and take naps in it. My only complaint is that it is vinyl, and if I wear shorts my legs will stick to it if I sweat at all. A cheap bamboo bead seat cover on the base solved that problem.

I recommend the lifeform chair every time this subject comes up. I have tried all of the Herman miller, Steelcase, human scale etc $1k+ ergonomic chairs and this one is much better than any of them. It is probably a $2k+ chair, but if youre in it for work for 2k hrs every year why on earth wouldnt want to spend money to keep your body in good shape and be comfortable all day every day.

This thing even has real lumbar that you can adjust just like in cars and adjustable back height etc.

Click image for larger version Name:	Capture3.PNG Views:	0 Size:	396.4 KB ID:	240398

I think they all suck. I am 6-2 and 200 pounds and they all seem to break I some way. The one I have now most of the bolts are stripped

I've been rocking this chunk of vintage about 10 years since buying it at a jail auction for $3. Put new wheels on it, the original ones sounded like files getting drug on my hardwoods. There is more total real chrome on this than a modern car factory uses in a year.

Unfortunately its starting to break down. Not sure if I'm going to refoam the cushion or get a new one. Tempted by some of the gamer style chairs. Used a hermon for a long time in the office and it was OK, not great. There was a demo chair I used for a while, then one day it was gone. Really wish I had grabbed the model, it was perfect. Even told the office manager to buy it back and take it out of my paycheck

I had one of those at work for years, absolutely comfortable, even with the low back. Then I come in one day and its gone... with a new POS modern office chair. Why? 4 legged chairs got banned for safety reasons... Thanks a lot. I woulda taken it home had I know it was going to disappear.

Without a doubt the old simple chairs are the most comfortable, Been through too many modern chairs that cause discomfort and you can't sit, or slouch in comfortably. Not to mention they bend in all the wrong directions, I want to lean my seatback back, not lean it formward... I want to sit back, not have the base tilt so I slide off the front. I want a flat bottom that won't put my legs to sleep with ridiculous speed bump near the edge.
Finnaly got a DX racer with a flat bottom, leans in the correct directions, and I can tilt back with little effort when I want to. Will it last as long as my original comfortable old school desk chair? Doubt it, the material is already looking like its been in use for a decade, but at least I can relax in this chair.

Not true. Most of them are knock offs of themselves, but there are some that are very original.

I have a DXRacer Classic Series that is pretty unique for a "gaming" chair. For one, it doesn't have leg bolsters. Anyone who buys a desk chair that has leg bolster deserves to be uncomfortable. How many Gs are you pulling at your desk anyway? My DXRacer has a lumbar cushion that helps with my back and a all steel and aluminum frame and casters which few of the cheap knocks have. I paid about $400 for it 2 or 3 years ago and it's been a great chair. Before I was working 7-5 again I used to recline it and take naps in it. My only complaint is that it is vinyl, and if I wear shorts my legs will stick to it if I sweat at all. A cheap bamboo bead seat cover on the base solved that problem.

I got a couple dxracer monster seats in their can tabs promotion and they're comfy. I've spent all day in them working at my desk and they're great.

Basically this but green and black with a monster logo stitched in.

https://www.dxracer.com/us/en-us/product/1/gaming-chairs/formula-and-racing-series/oh-rv001-nw/

Top Back Refresh