What's new

OBS Chevy randomly dies

Brian468

Red Skull Member
Member Number
96 Silverado, I've mentioned it before but randomly it'll just die out, no warning no check engine light nothing, it's absolutely an ignition issue not fuel related, I've owned more than a few and never ran across this issue, today it's doing it more frequently, like I can only make it a few miles at a time, I'm basically living in this thing till my job starts and I get more cash up so I kinda need it a bit more functional, anybody ever experience this issue?

I had one with this problem, but never solved it :homer:. I would probably make sure that the distributor shaft/ bushing isn't excessively worn.

I had one with this problem, but never solved it :homer:. I would probably make sure that the distributor shaft/ bushing isn't excessively worn.
I think it was DWT who said they had distributor issues with the internals getting too hot, makes sense cause it happens on particularly hot days more often,, guess I need to just buy one and see if that solves it but I hate swapping parts on a guess.

I think it was DWT who said they had distributor issues with the internals getting too hot, makes sense cause it happens on particularly hot days more often,, guess I need to just buy one and see if that solves it but I hate swapping parts on a guess.
I try to avoid that too, that shit has come back to bite me often.

I can't remember for sure but I think that the only electronic part in that dist. (Csfi vortec) is the cam position sensor, but maybe the rotor is moving too far from the cap or something.

Check your connectors at ign mondule, coil, etc. I had a 97 s10 just die like you talking... Connector was wallowed out and slight movement, vibration (driving) would cause it to lose contact at the pins in the connector and die. I could have it running and nudge the connector with my finger and itd die. Connector was nice and tight plugged in but the pin contacts were wallowed out/loose.

:emb:how is a nike tennis shoe body obs?
Square body yes but fords use old body style for pre nike body rigs....
And yes I have one of each.

:emb:how is a nike tennis shoe body obs?
Square body yes but fords use old body style for pre nike body rigs....
And yes I have one of each.
Are you high?

88-98 = OBS chevy

73-87 = square body

Well it's even worse this afternoon, I drove around for a few hours fine this morning but now that it's real hot it'll only stay running for a minute or so

Seems like an obvious solution, but have you already changed the cap and rotor in this particular truck? My '98 left me stranded a few times and after getting around to simply changing the cap and rotor it hasn't done it again......so far. Both the old cap and the old rotor looked like they had been in a swamp for 20 years.

96 Silverado, I've mentioned it before but randomly it'll just die out, no warning no check engine light nothing, it's absolutely an ignition issue not fuel related, I've owned more than a few and never ran across this issue, today it's doing it more frequently, like I can only make it a few miles at a time, I'm basically living in this thing till my job starts and I get more cash up so I kinda need it a bit more functional, anybody ever experience this issue?
I have a 92 that's doing the same thing. When I drive it it rarely seems to do it, but it used to do it bad before putting new distributor in it. Now I hardly ever have it die, but when the younger guys who wait til the last second then slam brakes hard, it'll cut off on them. coast it in neutral, recrank, and good to go. I had to emergency stop with it the other day and it died on me. It's weird, so I'm definitely watching this for ideas.

Anyways,
I have a 92 that's doing the same thing. When I drive it it rarely seems to do it, but it used to do it bad before putting new distributor in it. Now I hardly ever have it die, but when the younger guys who wait til the last second then slam brakes hard, it'll cut off on them. coast it in neutral, recrank, and good to go. I had to emergency stop with it the other day and it died on me. It's weird, so I'm definitely watching this for ideas.
Mine only does it when it's really hot outside and it's been running a while so it's really weird, I'm assuming something under the hood can't handle the combination of normal operating temperature plus excessive ambient air temperature, but what that is is just a guess at this point for me, I've heard from more than one person that the distributor getting worn out with age was a problem and this happening, I've owned several of these over the years and never came across this problem.

Now that my job started I don't drive it enough for it to die out, I'm gonna put a distributor in it when I get a permanent address, I'll let you know if that fixes it, I'm leaning towards distributor or the cam sensor within the distributor, in my case it's definitely not a fuel issue, an ecm issue or an ignition switch issue.

Anyways,

Mine only does it when it's really hot outside and it's been running a while so it's really weird, I'm assuming something under the hood can't handle the combination of normal operating temperature plus excessive ambient air temperature, but what that is is just a guess at this point for me, I've heard from more than one person that the distributor getting worn out with age was a problem and this happening, I've owned several of these over the years and never came across this problem.

Now that my job started I don't drive it enough for it to die out, I'm gonna put a distributor in it when I get a permanent address, I'll let you know if that fixes it, I'm leaning towards distributor or the cam sensor within the distributor, in my case it's definitely not a fuel issue, an ecm issue or an ignition switch issue.
Mine was doing it all the time, then finally asked the right guy and he was like "needs new distributor" and that seemed to have fixed it, for a while. It rarely ever shuts off with me now, but as i said, the younger employees tend to drive everything like it's a corvette or something. They wait til last second and slam on brakes. Scares the shit out of me when i actually ride passenger and not drive. I'm constantly going" are you going to stop?" they slam brakes, and it shuts off, which then kills brake booster so i'm scrambling to yank it to neutral and restart it from passenger seat, because they just panic.

Damn I didn't even see the year of his rig my bad, you've got a tbi engine and I've got an L31 vortec.

Had a 1990 k1500 that would so the same thing turned out to be the oil pressure switch behind the distributor. Wasnt in a fun spot and may have required a special socket but fixed my issue. It would shut off the fuel pump when it got hot despite every chevy guru online saying switch had nothing to do with fuel pump. 20$ish dollar part. There is 2 wires at fuel pump relay you can jump together to trouble shoot but i cant remember wich 2.

I would throw an ICM on it. Get a used one for like $25 couple 10mm nuts. It will have the coil, icm, and bracket all in one.

I have seen the white and black wire at the ICM be broke inside but look normal. Give them all a tug and see if any come apart.

With out a good scanner and scope its all a logical guessing game.

slamming on the brakes and it dying means something is disconnecting. Check the firewall pass through and first and foremost check your grounding. Bad grounding will cause issues as well. I cant remember but does the fuse panel plug in like the newer trucks? Try disconnecting it and re seating it.

Slamming on the brakes doesn't do squat to my truck? It only happens when it's really hot outside and it's been running a while, I changed the distributor a couple weeks ago so we'll see if that fixes it, it's cooled off now weather wise so I won't know till next year anyways :homer:

Slamming on the brakes doesn't do squat to my truck? It only happens when it's really hot outside and it's been running a while, I changed the distributor a couple weeks ago so we'll see if that fixes it, it's cooled off now weather wise so I won't know till next year anyways :homer:
he was referring to mine lol

DOH! yeah I was referring to drummer79 was trying the phone version not the same as PC didn't tag him

This.

Claiming something is "old body style" several generations later is mouth breather logic.

That term has been around since the early 00's when the 99-06 body style first came out.

73-87 = Square Body
88-98 = OBS
99-06 = NBS
07+ = NNBS

I don't make these rules Check around the various chevy truck forums, everyone uses these.

Another vote to check ICM.

Does it slow start when hot after dying(possible fuel regulator) or starts right up?

I'm with you, didn't have dizzy being bad when hot but it'll be on my mind if it's over 100k.

It cranks at normal speed when hot but it won't start immediately, it needs to sit for several minutes, I put a distributor in it cause it was only 50 bucks and now that it's winter it won't do it again till May anyways

Top Back Refresh