What's new

Not2hye needs a new computer, again...

not2hye

Knucklehead
Member Number
Loc
Hellifornia
My $500 Acer Aspire e15 snapped one of the screen hinges and it still is hanging on but cannot close it. :homer:

I am so out of the loop on computers, and all the research I did a year ago is pretty much invalid now...

Would like to keep it under a grand for a new laptop, dont need a 15 inch screen, would like something smaller and more portable. A 15" laptop sucks to have in your actual lap, or in your backpack when on a motorcycle.

What brands/models should I be looking at that will give me a solid 2 years without having to look again.

Not gaming with it, just doing school work and zoom classes right now. Alot of word documents, excel files, powerpoint, office suite stuff.

Would like an SSD hard drive, min specs would be something along the lines of 256gb ssd, 8gb ram, 2.5ghz i5 intel.

WWIBBD?

Microsoft Surface Pro with a dock, monitor, keyboard, mouse.

I'm still rocking the Surface Pro 3 with zero problems and no plans to replace anytime soon.

Look at the latitude line from dell, avoid the inspiron.

I have an MSI and love it, but I'm not sure they make anything under 15".

For god sake don't buy anything made by HP.

My $500 Acer Aspire e15 snapped one of the screen hinges and it still is hanging on but cannot close it. :homer:

I am so out of the loop on computers, and all the research I did a year ago is pretty much invalid now...

Would like to keep it under a grand for a new laptop, dont need a 15 inch screen, would like something smaller and more portable. A 15" laptop sucks to have in your actual lap, or in your backpack when on a motorcycle.

What brands/models should I be looking at that will give me a solid 2 years without having to look again.

Not gaming with it, just doing school work and zoom classes right now. Alot of word documents, excel files, powerpoint, office suite stuff.

Would like an SSD hard drive, min specs would be something along the lines of 256gb ssd, 8gb ram, 2.5ghz i5 intel.

WWIBBD?

Fix yours there must be a place that will sell you what you need

I don't know shit about fuck, but...

"all the research I did a year ago is pretty much invalid now." Wat? I know things change, but this seems excessive.

I recently put an SSD and 16gb ram in my 5-6yo Lenovo junker, and it's a fantastic difference. I guess it's easy to be happy when you have low standards. CorelDraw and PS are all I run on it, though.

Y U no buy a replacement hinge/chassis/screen/whatever on ebay and fix it? Oh (reread), smaller screen. Gotcha. 15" is a big boat anchor. Mine is 15", and it might as well be a desktop.

Your use and specs seem pretty modest. I'd go for robust, given that. Corporate lease sale? I've heard that the corporate class stuff is tougher than WalMart junk.

Switch to Team Red. I'm rocking AMD on my desktop and will never go Intel again.

hXFxA26.png

Microsoft Surface Pro with a dock, monitor, keyboard, mouse.

I'm still rocking the Surface Pro 3 with zero problems and no plans to replace anytime soon.

Still trying to stay away from touch screen stuff. Dont really like the idea or detachable keyboard.

Fix yours there must be a place that will sell you what you need

I don't know shit about fuck, but...

"all the research I did a year ago is pretty much invalid now." Wat? I know things change, but this seems excessive.

I recently put an SSD and 16gb ram in my 5-6yo Lenovo junker, and it's a fantastic difference. I guess it's easy to be happy when you have low standards. CorelDraw and PS are all I run on it, though.

Y U no buy a replacement hinge/chassis/screen/whatever on ebay and fix it? Oh (reread), smaller screen. Gotcha. 15" is a big boat anchor. Mine is 15", and it might as well be a desktop.

Your use and specs seem pretty modest. I'd go for robust, given that. Corporate lease sale? I've heard that the corporate class stuff is tougher than WalMart junk.

I found this on ebay, not the exact submodel, but after tearing trim ring off of screen and having a good look, I think this one will work. I am not a laptop repair guy, I've put together a few dozen towers in he days of XP, but nothing recently. https://www.ebay.com/itm/New-For-Ace....c100005.m1851

I am afraid of not being able to get the little taped things changed out without messing them up.

Ill still fix this one for an at home machine if its under $100, but still want something newer with smaller screen.

Still trying to stay away from touch screen stuff. Dont really like the idea or detachable keyboard.

You don't have to use touch screen. It's a great piece of hardware that's capable of being a tablet, laptop, and a desktop. My biggest complaint is the detachable keyboard, but they make a laptop version for $$$$.

As far as laptops go, Lenonvo business models are always winners. Well built not bleeding edge hardware that is well and long term supported because of corporate customers. You'll be able to get dock and run it as a desktop with full keyboard, mouse, and multiple monitors. I wouldn't be afraid of a corporate turn in that's used.

Last edited:

your almost shitfucked for trying to avoid touch screen on a new small laptop.

for what you want, i'd go hit up a local place that deals with used stuff, can't imagine thinking a 15" is too big :laughing: not sure how you people type on those small things :rasta:

Top Back Refresh