What's new

Not a build 4runner

TRINDU

PBB Orphan
Member Number
Loc
Central TX
More of a halfass attempt of throwing spare parts to build a daily and fun truck... while the other shit gets built. Basically run around town and shoot the finger to the instagram jeep fags at hidden falls.

20210821_160642.jpg
20210821_160700.jpg

Screenshot_20220104-195943_Gallery.jpg

Pretty much exactly how I bought it a couple years ago. Couple small .25" rust spots but overall strait. Interior was fucked from windows down for years.

Plan:
22re (from the truck next to it)
R150/turbo bell
Marlin 10* adapter
4.7 single case
90s factory 4.88 diffs
Lock right rear and undecided front
Unknown tube bumpers
Unknown tube sliders
M8000
1" body lift
2" drivetrain lift
33x10.50x15 KM2
85 14gal fuel tank

Plan is to stay light, low, with good belly clearance. Hence the adapter and body/drivetrain lift, and smaller fuel tank. Keeping IFS. Top, doors, and rear hatch will be removed and never put back on. Truck tailgate and rear seat removed and factory delete plate.

Any 'real money' spent will be on maintenance and rebuilding. Engine, clutch, brakes, etc.

Need to figure out rear disc kit. Probably use montero rotors, SA calipers, and cut my own brackets. Building a fror style mount that incorporates a tcase ebrake.

I know yall are screaming sas with 300:1 gearing and 42s, but hows that plan look to you? What would you change?

Last edited:
I'm following this build. Love the idea and the budget factor of this.

I'm looking at no more than $3k all in, so far. Just an accumulation of junk from years in the sport.

I SAS'd and such a few trucks and was never happy how they turned out. I'm hoping some attention placed in the right spots (weight, protection, and clearance) will make it perform fine for what it is. I have a doubler, but dont feel its warranted and dont want to deal with resizing shafts.

I'm looking at no more than $3k all in, so far. Just an accumulation of junk from years in the sport.

I SAS'd and such a few trucks and was never happy how they turned out. I'm hoping some attention placed in the right spots (weight, protection, and clearance) will make it perform fine for what it is. I have a doubler, but dont feel its warranted and dont want to deal with resizing shafts.
I totally agree. I think a sad on this would be a waste and your idea is gonna be a great one for what you have planned.

I hope to do a similar build to my 84 this spring

1" BL isn't terrible, but why? Not needed to fit narrow 33s.

I don't see the point of trying to tuck the drive train up when the 4runner tank hangs way the fuck down. Maybe look into the F150 tank?

Even though it's overkill, I'd run the doubler. I would not like only having 4.7 gear as I use the stock low way too much, especially on a little truck like this. I'd go dual 2.28s before single 4.7. Lower and more options.

Reactions: Add
1" BL isn't terrible, but why? Not needed to fit narrow 33s.

I don't see the point of trying to tuck the drive train up when the 4runner tank hangs way the fuck down. Maybe look into the F150 tank?

Even though it's overkill, I'd run the doubler. I would not like only having 4.7 gear as I use the stock low way too much, especially on a little truck like this. I'd go dual 2.28s before single 4.7. Lower and more options.

With the smaller fuel tank (14 vs 17), itll tuck up flat to the rails when I modify the mounts. Also allows me to tuck the drivetrain to flat belly(ish). I'll cut and mod the bumpers for the 1" BL too.

I can always add doubler later if I deem it necessary, this gets it going without changing much. 88:1 is fine with 33s.

With the smaller fuel tank (14 vs 17), itll tuck up flat to the rails when I modify the mounts. Also allows me to tuck the drivetrain to flat belly(ish). I'll cut and mod the bumpers for the 1" BL too.
Gotcha, mine was 2nd gen, and hung down just as far as the tcase, I hated it.

I can always add doubler later if I deem it necessary, this gets it going without changing much. 88:1 is fine with 33s.

Its debatable. I used double low with 35s and 5.29s a lot in technical rocks. Even 2nd low low would sometimes get me into trouble and cause hopping or whatever, and I could stop, hit 1st and crawl up. 1" of tire radius isn't a game changer. But I don't know what type of wheelin you plan to do.

Also, like I said, I used 2.28 all the damn time. Possibly more than any other ratio including high range :laughing:

This is rad. I would love to build a truck like this.

AxleIkes low ifs 4runner build (on yotatech I think? ) was always one of my favorites.

Anyone have anything against a spartan locker for the front? I know a ARB/elocker is better, but I'm not spending a grand on it. Cant find anything used

This is rad. I would love to build a truck like this.

AxleIkes low ifs 4runner build (on yotatech I think? ) was always one of my favorites.

Had to look it up. I see where a lot of people like the ball joint spacers, but I'm not sold on them.

Had to look it up. I see where a lot of people like the ball joint spacers, but I'm not sold on them.
Id pass on them too. They make the angles wonky. Just run low pro bumpstops. I just like how he tucked the driveline up and beefed up the steering.

Anyone have anything against a spartan locker for the front? I know a ARB/elocker is better, but I'm not spending a grand on it. Cant find anything used

I'm on my 3rd, all fronts. They're my favorite front locker actually. I think mine unlocks easier than my Detroit did. The one in my Fj80 front held up to 2 broken r&p and a few broken stock birfields.

I remember them being hit and miss when I had my 2nd gen 4runner ifs. A small spacer may be OK. I ran 35s on it for quite a while and it held up great. I think the fact that I never touched anything helped. :laughing: it was open diff and I never even messed with the torsion bars. I wouldn't be afraid to go 1" or so up though.

I just finished a rear disc swap on one of my trucks. 2013 FJ Cruiser rotors and calipers. Bracket is simple and it fits behind 15" steel wheels. Thought I would mention it, since I don't see it talked about.

I just finished a rear disc swap on one of my trucks. 2013 FJ Cruiser rotors and calipers. Bracket is simple and it fits behind 15" steel wheels. Thought I would mention it, since I don't see it talked about.
Details?

Buy the parts, install the rotors, and hang the calipers. I cut the bracket out of 3/8" plate and bolted it to the bearing retainer and caliper. Couldn't be any easier.

Attachments

• brake bracket 2.DXF
    27.7 KB · Views: 14
  • brake bracket 2.pdf
    6.4 KB · Views: 14
Top Back Refresh