What's new

Nissan R230 gears

ORTitan

Member Number
Contemplating the dumb. 2006 Armada with the R230 diff IRS. My google fu is not worky so well. Is there such a thing as 4.10's or 4.56's for these things?

Wanting to try for a 35" tire. I had the same year Titan back in the day with 3.36's and 35's and it left something to be desired.

Maybe recommend another unit that would maybe use the Nissan axles or point me in a direction to look at?

The intended use is for highway to the local logging roads, snow runs, sand dunes.

All I could find were the stick 3.36 gears too when looking

Yeah, this is what I was afraid of. May look at the Ford IRS stuff, or maybe Camaro.

Or throw a titan solid rear under it. Pretty easy swap that a bunch of people have started doing lately.

For the work involved, links.

It's just a question of parallel 4 (or 3 but why would you because it packages worse) with a track bar vs triangulated 4 link

what do you think, leafs or links?
Unless you're building this for more than just light wheeling like you said, links would be a ton of work and a mostly a waste of energy.

Leafs are an easy weekend swap. Pick up some hangers and upper shock mounts from Ruff Stuff or the like and go to town. If you can find a titan in the junk yard, pull the springs, axles, shocks if they're good, and probably the rear driveshaft. Weld on hangers and you're there.

Bonus points - look for a rear out of a Pro or LE and get the factory locker.

For the work involved, links.

It's just a question of parallel 4 (or 3 but why would you because it packages worse) with a track bar vs triangulated 4 link
Have you every been under an Armada?

Coils riding on the lower control arm aft of the CV. IDK if the CV is angled forward from the diff to wheel.

That better?

Coils riding on the lower control arm aft of the CV. IDK if the CV is angled forward from the diff to wheel.

That better?
No.

Not that it can't be done (it has been done), but it would be a waste of time and money that would be better spent on beefing up the front end. It'd likely involve relocating the exhaust and probably fuel tank. The armada is basically a Titan with a bigger cab and IRS and swapping over the leafs is about as easy as it gets. Especially when he says:
The intended use is for highway to the local logging roads, snow runs, sand dunes.

The armada is basically a Titan with a bigger cab and IRS and swapping over the leafs is about as easy as it gets. Especially when he says:
That changes things. I didn't realize leafs and solid axle were so easy.

Top Back Refresh