What's new

NFA ENGRAVING QUESTION

6gun

Member Number
I'm getting ready to start filing some Form 1s and I'm kinda stumped, no one seems to give me a straight answer so I thought I'd ask a bunch of random internet strangers. If I'm filing to SBR my Mac-11 can I list Cobray as the manufacturer and the factory serial number or am I going to have to engrave more on it? Same with Shotgun, rifle etc. Looking at the form seems to me it would be OK, but that's why I'm asking y'all! Nothing filed or cut yet, just wanting as much info as possible before starting.

Name
City
State

Ive always used the manufacturer of the receiver on my form 1s. I have 6 form 1s and never had an issue.

Name
City
State

Ive always used the manufacturer of the receiver on my form 1s. I have 6 form 1s and never had an issue.
Cool, so the OEM engraving will suffice as long as it has all the info? No further engraving needed is what I was hoping for!

Cool, so the OEM engraving will suffice as long as it has all the info? No further engraving needed is what I was hoping for!

no. this is incorrect. you do have to list the OEM manufacturer on the form1. the only thing that doesn't need to be duplicated from the OEM info on the engraving is the serial number. that wont change. but if you form 1 a suppressor, you need to make up your own serial number and that gets engraved on the can.

you are doing a form 1 which means you are now the manufacturer/maker of that Short Barreled Rifle or Short Barreled shotgun, which means legally you have to engrave your name (or trust name) and city on the firearms pursuant to the manufacturers marking requirements.

Texas97 Thanks! That is where I was confused. So do I have to have engraving done before assembly or can I take it in for engraving w/paperwork as a completed unit? Thanks again for the help.

Texas97 Thanks! That is where I was confused. So do I have to have engraving done before assembly or can I take it in for engraving w/paperwork as a completed unit? Thanks again for the help.

Doesn't matter when you have it engraved before or after approval. You can also engrave the barrel and not need to mess up the receiver.

like rockmup said, it doesnt matter. all that matters is that its not in its completed configuration until the Form 1 is approved and in hand.

Thanks for all the help guys! I'm ready to get this stuff done! I love DIY but I have not saw a DIY solution that I looked clean enough!

Top Back Refresh