What's new

New York to Require Internet Providers to Charge Low-Income Residents $15 for Broadband.

the conservative atheist

😷😷😷ㅤ=ㅤ🐑🐑🐑
Member Number
NEW YORK (AP) — New York can move ahead with a law requiring internet service providers to offer heavily discounted rates to low-income residents, a federal appeals court ruled Friday.

The decision from the 2nd U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals in Manhattan reverses a lower court ruling from 2021 that blocked the policy just days before it went into effect.

The law would force internet companies to give some low-income New Yorkers broadband service for as low as $15 a month, or face fines from the state.

Telecoms trade groups sued over the law, arguing it would cost them too much money and that it wrongly superseded a federal law that governs internet service.

On Friday, the industry groups said they were weighing their next legal move.

"We are disappointed by the court’s decision and New York state’s move for rate regulation in competitive industries. It not only discourages the needed investment in our nation’s infrastructure, but also potentially risks the sustainability of broadband operations in many areas," a statement read.

New York state lawmakers approved the law in 2021 as part of the budget, with supporters arguing that the policy would give low-income residents a way to access the internet, which has become a vital utility.

Ohio gives free internet to the poors.

So Wi-F In all homes so Covid vaccines can be activated. Just 2 more weeks.

On a serious note I grew up poor and we couldnt afford internet. I always was at a severe disadvantage when things had to be done at home over the internet or submitted electronically. Spent a lot of time in the parking lot of McDonald’s lol. Maybe this will help but the government is involved so doubt it. There’s a state road locally where one side has high speed access and the other side has nothing ran to it.

I always was at a severe disadvantage when things had to be done at home over the internet or submitted electronically.

thats because its easier to doll out games and activities via the net than teach the kids.

bring back books, paper, and pencils.

until some companies respond to the stupid by stopping service this will continue to happen.
and the state will step in to further ensnare its "constituents" by "providing" "essential services"

every time, the same story
'thing is expensive because of government meddling'
"oh I know how to fix this, let's tack on more government meddling, we'll add terms in the contract that you need to act surprised at the obvious result"

until some companies respond to the stupid by stopping service this will continue to happen.

comrade mobil1son, this service is deemed vital to the greater good of the people's united collective and will continue. We have dispatched a government business liason team to assist you in providing this continuing this service to the people.

They are just going to do it, and then pass the “losses” along to you and me in the form of higher prices.

Don’t these companies need to work hand in hand with daddy gov to get the infrastructure rights to certain areas?

I don’t disagree that internet could be very helpful to SOME low income residents (kids with ambition), but the vast majority will just be using it to watch TikTok.

If I were these companies, I’d counter back with an exemption if I provide service free of charge to “X” number of people. Start a charitable donation based “educational scholarship” wing, leverage high net worth contacts looking for tax write offs, and only provide “free” (paid for by someone who voluntarily donates rather than tax $) to families with kids.

Doubt many in NY would care. They’re all used to subsidizing just about everything else, so I doubt they’ll even notice the extra costs being passed down to them by the providers to cover the cost of the poors. Gotta have that free wiffie to go along with them Obama phones.

Public libraries have computer labs and internet already.

Plenty of private businesses offer internet as well.

Anybody who would benefit from the internet being free already does.

Nothing product about nothing. Shouldn't exist and won't be noticed

I think there is a need for low costs services for those that need it. Alot of school work is done via online anymore and it's a local issue for access. Not always practical to be at a library for their wifi.

But there are alternatives to forcing companies to adjust their rates. The state could find a way to provide that service, or work with the counties to set it up, etc.

I think there is a need for low costs services for those that need it. Alot of school work is done via online anymore and it's a local issue for access. Not always practical to be at a library for their wifi.

But there are alternatives to forcing companies to adjust their rates. The state could find a way to provide that service, or work with the counties to set it up, etc.
There are alternatives to public school as well :flipoff2:

Top Back Refresh