What's new

New to me Coal Stove

DozerDan82

Master of the Universe!!!
Member Number
Loc
3rd Rock From the Big Ball of Fire
Did a thing last weekend and bought a Saey Hanover 1 coal stove, and ~1/2 ton of coal for $100. I was planning on just using it, but after moving it out of the truck with a not so soft landing, and then moving down the basement I noticed the top was loose and the corner sealant is cracked.

So we get to turn it into another project. Going to pull it apart and reseal it. Looks pretty basic, but time will tell. Going to have a place come out and inspect the chimney, just for piece of mind.

Chris vetteboy79 and I both got the black lung shoveling the coal out of the guys bin into buckets!

IMG_5747.JPG

IMG_5750.JPG

IMG_5752.JPG

IMG_5733.JPG

Last edited:
thats called nut coal, big ships burn big coal. Thats the size you burn in a kitchen coal stove. I burn bigger coal then that in our parlor stove. Of course they might have had big lumps and cracked them into 4 pieces for profit . The big ships and foundrys burn egg coal. Coal is sold by the size rice,buck,pea,nut,stove, and last but not least egg. I live right in the heart of the coal region and always have. If i wasnt so tired i would go take pictures of buck (i burn that in a stoker) and some stove coal (i burn in the parlor stove)

thats called nut coal, big ships burn big coal. Thats the size you burn in a kitchen coal stove. I burn bigger coal then that in our parlor stove. Of course they might have had big lumps and cracked them into 4 pieces for profit . The big ships and foundrys burn egg coal. Coal is sold by the size rice,buck,pea,nut,stove, and last but not least egg. I live right in the heart of the coal region and always have. If i wasnt so tired i would go take pictures of buck (i burn that in a stoker) and some stove coal (i burn in the parlor stove)

Guy I got it from said that the Nut coal seemed to have the best results in the stove, book says Pea or Nut is recommended for the stove (yes seller had original manual)

I remember my mom having a coal stove in her shop when I was a kid. It was a pot bellied kind of thing and I thought it was neat that it burned coal and not wood, like every other stove I'd ever been around. That's all I've got. :flipoff2:

neat
kinda wonder if coal's cheaper than pellets (on a homeowner scale, no doubt coal's cheaper on an industrial scale)
ain't really something that you run into around here

[486 said:
;n318669]neat
kinda wonder if coal's cheaper than pellets (on a homeowner scale, no doubt coal's cheaper on an industrial scale)

I am pretty sure it is. Guys I know with pellet stoves use one to two bags ($4.50-$6 a bag) from what I am told about coal stoves they use a bucket a day (25-40lbs) a ton of coal is ~$200 or about $4 a day (if I did my math right)

I don't know for sure, but if this keeps the house warmer I am all for it.

You're causing global warming and killing baby seals using coal. Haven't you heard? Coal bad, unicorn farts good.:flipoff2:
I remember being around one coal stove as a kid, seemed to put out pretty good heat.

Had a wood/coal stove when I lived in NY.

I usually burned wood because it was "free"

But I did have some coal on hand to burn when it got real cold. They sold 20lb bags of anthracite at the hardware store down the road. Was fairly cheap if I recall correctly.

Pea coal was easier to get burning, but didn't l
Last as long and choked itself out if it wasn't shaken down often enough.

While nut coal was better breathing, and longer burning, it was harder to start, and would jam the grate if I tried to shake it down too early.

I am pretty sure it is. Guys I know with pellet stoves use one to two bags ($4.50-$6 a bag) from what I am told about coal stoves they use a bucket a day (25-40lbs) a ton of coal is ~$200 or about $4 a day (if I did my math right)

I don't know for sure, but if this keeps the house warmer I am all for it.

just googled it and there's twice the btus per pound in the coal over the pellets
so if it costs less than twice what the pellets do, then it's cheaper... neat and easy math

surely you can burn other garbage in it too
my wood stove sees a lot of shit, clear plastic seems to burn very clean where black plastic is sooty no matter how much air you give it
ETA: linoleum flooring makes a HUGE amount of white smoke, don't even bother with it, lol

Last edited:

Interesting, not living in coal country that’s something I never knew.

You're causing global warming and killing baby seals using coal. Haven't you heard? Coal bad, unicorn farts good.:flipoff2:
I remember being around one coal stove as a kid, seemed to put out pretty good heat.

We burn about 2500 tons a day at work across 5 or 6 boilers depending on the load. It makes me happy to do my part to combat global cooling.

Didn’t even know you could buy coal. :lmao:

I’ve looked online several times to try and buy some mx have never been successful.

Who wants to send me a bucket. :laughing:

It was a mix of pea and nut coal from what I could tell...mine runs Nut which is a bit larger than most of what we brought back. As mentioned before the smaller stuff can get going more easily but what really makes heat is airflow through the coal stack and the smaller stuff packs more densely. Learning when and how to rock the shaker grates for your stove & coal is an acquired skill.

How's your foot feeling? :flipoff2: (re: not so gentle landing)

You'll likely want a mechanical damper in the chimney stack as well (see my pics here)...there's some debate whether it's better to have it before or after the barometric damper. Mine is after and it works fine, but I've got a really good draft in my chimney. The argument for putting it before the barometric one is that if you choke it down, without enough updraft it'll let exhaust come out through the baro and fill your room with CO. Easy enough to rearrange the pieces as needed.

I light mine by putting a small bag of match-light charcoal in the bottom of it, light the bag on fire with the bottom door open and the damper wide open, get a good charcoal base going and start shoveling coal on top. It'll take a few buckets to fill initially.

[486] - re: burning other stuff in it. Coal burns from the bottom of the stack. You regulate it by adjusting the intake on the lower door, and the draft in the flue. When you rock the shaker grates the ash from the bottom of the stack falls into the pan. Above the coal stack where the upper door is generally doesn't have enough oxygen to burn things, and can also build up volatiles from the coal outgassing as it heats up, especially when it's freshly loaded. The upper door intakes usually get opened slightly on a fresh batch to give a little oxygen to the top to burn off the gasses, and then you'll usually shut them. You have to be careful opening the door because you'll get a backdraft if there's anything up there and it makes a pretty good explosion. (for example, I can throw a wad of paper on top of the coal and shut the door, and it'll smolder for a bit. Then open the door again and it lights right the fuck up). Bonus points for doing that when you have the ash door open and the blowback sends ash all over the room.

If you wanted to burn wood in it you'd open the top door vents a lot more and feed it air like a traditional fireplace.

For the coal people following along, here's mine...Coal Baron model from the Pine Barren Stove Co, made just over an hour from me here in NJ. My record is 32 hours between tending it, and it was still going. Last I bought coal it was about $240/ton and if I run it hot enough to keep the far end of the house at least 60 or so, the flue temps are just around 200 and it'll do a bucket every 16 hours, could probably stretch that more. I wouldn't imagine using more than 1.5 tons for the season, probably less. That said, unless it's gonna be below freezing for a long time and I'll be home that entire time, I rarely use it. My house is forced-air natural gas and it's not worth the work to keep the main living room uncomfortably hot with windows open and have to build my schedule around it. But if the furnace takes a shit or the power goes out? Certainly nice to have a reliable backup.

Click image for larger version Name:	coal stove.png Views:	0 Size:	932.4 KB ID:	318852

Click image for larger version Name:	coal stove.png Views:	0 Size:	932.4 KB ID:	318852

Last edited:
I brought some pieces home from AOAA off road park in PA as a gag for the wifes stocking, she wasn't amused! LOL

I put a coal stove in my last house. It was awesome. It would last over 3 days as our only heat supply on a full hopper. We burned buckwheat size

cheep and easy to get here in bulk. I’d buy a few tons at a time and get dump truck delivery

Didn’t even know you could buy coal. :lmao:

I’ve looked online several times to try and buy some mx have never been successful.

Who wants to send me a bucket. :laughing:

There are multiple places in town that have huge piles you can buy from. Load truck, drive on scale. The cheapest was is to order a tractor trailer load from a mine, I forget but it’s enough for like 6 families or more for a winter.

I brought some pieces home from AOAA off road park in PA as a gag for the wifes stocking, she wasn't amused! LOL

that surface coal from Rausch and AOAA won’t burn. We have tried dozens of times over camp fire. It’s not the right quality, they go deep to get the burnable anthracite

[486 said:
;n318669]neat

People around here have coal/pellet stoves that run small anthracite coal. They get a lot more heat out of coal but have to light it with a propane torch.

Fun coal Depression story from my grandmother. When the coal trains parked in town. Her father would gather the other men after dark. They gave her and the other kids burlap bags and the men had shovels. They would sneak to the train yard, the men would climb up and start shoveling the free heat like crazy off the train. Kids would catch as much as they could. Until the rail police man came and they would run like hell in all directions to not get arrested. Because it’s rock and trains are tall they’d go back later after the train left to get their piles and drag the coal home. Nobody would shovel back into the train at night. They had the kids run their stolen coal! Lol

Fun coal Depression story from my grandmother. When the coal trains parked in town. Her father would gather the other men after dark. They gave her and the other kids burlap bags and the men had shovels. They would sneak to the train yard, the men would climb up and start shoveling the free heat like crazy off the train. Kids would catch as much as they could. Until the rail police man came and they would run like hell in all directions to not get arrested. Because it’s rock and trains are tall they’d go back later after the train left to get their piles and drag the coal home. Nobody would shovel back into the train at night. They had the kids run their stolen coal! Lol

In Appalachia it wasn't uncommon for folks to walk the track looking for loose coal. My uncle worked a rail yard back in the 60's, that place was crooked as it gets. If they knew what was in a car they would break the seal and then it couldn't go on down the line, so it got offloaded (stolen) at the yard and spread out by the crew. One year the joke was every duck hunter on the Chesapeake was heated by charcoal that came off of one of those trains.

In Appalachia it wasn't uncommon for folks to walk the track looking for loose coal. My uncle worked a rail yard back in the 60's, that place was crooked as it gets. If they knew what was in a car they would break the seal and then it couldn't go on down the line, so it got offloaded (stolen) at the yard and spread out by the crew. One year the joke was every duck hunter on the Chesapeake was heated by charcoal that came off of one of those trains.

used to be I found coal along the tracks all the time.

but then everything closed and i rarely see coal trains anymore.

I've been heating our house with coal for the last ten years. 1860's stone farmhouse, 18" thick. R1 per foot, so insulation is nonexistent. Go through 8 tons a year in a EFM stoker boiler. I run up to Tamaqua and bring home 2 tons at a shot, its $180 a ton that way. The cheapest way you can heat in these parts by far.

Started with a stoker stove with nut coal switched a couple years ago to in floor radiant with auger fed pea coal stove. It's nice to have a 72* house with warm floors when its 7* and a foot of snow outside when you get up in the morning. Need to clean up some of my manifold work but cheap and effective.

photo48984.jpg

photo48985.jpg

photo48986.jpg

Started with a stoker stove with nut coal switched a couple years ago to in floor radiant with auger fed pea coal stove. It's nice to have a 72* house with warm floors when its 7* and a foot of snow outside when you get up in the morning. Need to clean up some of my manifold work but cheap and effective.

One of my biggest goals is to get the floors warm, radiant heat just from the basement should do that. In the 6 weeks we have been here we have gone through 200+ gal of oil. I think with this going in the basement it will help HUGE.

Top Back Refresh