• Bacon

Votes: 10 24.4%

• Total voters

Austin

Blame Canada
Member Number
Loc
St.Louis, MO
I added a side column to the home page to get more info out there. Mobile people it's at the bottom of your page.

Upcoming Events and Trending Topics (outside of GCC)

Too Much?

I don't notice it because I browse via mashing the "new topics" button. :cookie:

Just me, but I'm not a fan... maybe a couple of tabs at the top of the main "forums" page could work? Just my opinion of course...

I would second the "it is too busy". I'm not a UI expert so I'm not sure how to "slickly" provide that information.

The main goal is to get non GCC stuff in front of people. Second is to make the home page more dynamic for SEO.

I'm no GUI person either ... I really like the data but but agree it makes the homepage busier. Is it too busy?

seems ok to me. As a professional web wheeler and nerd I'm on the web all day. I'm used to it. Seems about right. I would not put anything else on the side tho. JMHO

I would not put anything else on the side tho. JMHO

as far as massive amounts of busy data goes, I agree. I may use the blank space at the bottom for graphics like if a new article from a Blue Skull or if an IBB vendor wants to highlight a sale / video/ podcast etc ...

The main goal is to get non GCC stuff in front of people. Second is to make the home page more dynamic for SEO.

I'm no GUI person either ... I really like the data but but agree it makes the homepage busier. Is it too busy?

If it's for seo then, yah leave it to optimize. How's the backlinks?

I don't mind it at all but, I'm on a 15" laptop.

I do like the fact that it goes away as soon as you're off the home page.

I'm sort of "engineer" UI type person: less BS, easy to identify where to find info, etc.

Usually, when I hit a web site forum, I'm there for a specific reason and not usually in a "browse everything" mode. Ex: I come here to check my threads, maybe browse General 4x4, if a recent thread for a sub forum looks interesting, and see GCC shenanigans :p I'm not overly ADHD where everything jumps at me so I'll jump around with it ;)

Oh yeah, nailed it. :rolleyes:

Click image for larger version  Name:	irate.png Views:	0 Size:	401.3 KB ID:	108561
pbb.png

Ribbing aside, I say do what's best for the site, SEO, etc. Who cares what the homepage looks like- it's a nav tool to get to the forums.

This, I jump straight to GCC or elsewhere...I haven't ever looked at the home page since the first time I came to the site.

Oooh now I can see what is "trending" so I can pull a me too and join in with the trendy posters.

Seriously, that "trending" shit is dumb.

no You're dumb.

:flipoff2:

Some may find it helpful, it's really just a search that anybody can do from the 'advanced search' page. In fact you can hone yours in more if you go do it. aside from all that ... it puts more links of active topics on the front page for SEO

Also, you can collapse them and the browser will remember that setting ... so you can stare at a blank column :flipoff2:

I voted "Bacon" because . . . meh.

Not a feature I crave, but totally livable :beer:

Also, this:

Ribbing aside, I say do what's best for the site, SEO, etc. Who cares what the homepage looks like- it's a nav tool to get to the forums.

EDIT: the "Upcoming Events" column is cool - it might get me off my ass to get to one :laughing:

It just make it one more motion (grow screen bigger) before I can surf.

I personally don't like it in its current implementation, but I figured this was the reason you did it. Trying to bring the focus of the forum on the tech instead of Chit Chat is a good thing. It is sad that ~75% of the content on this site is Chit Chat :shaking:

I like the events as is, but I am not wild about the "trending" topics. Maybe it is the word "trending" that bothers me though :laughing: I think it would be much cleaner if it were just hyperlinked thread titles like how ClassicBroncos.com does it:
Screen Shot 2020-08-20 at 5.53.31 PM.png

Top Back Refresh