bigun

Red Skull Member
Member Number
Loc
Mountainair, NM

DOJ Announces New Rule for Firearm Safety and Storage​

By Katabella Roberts

January 5, 2022 Updated: January 5, 2022

The Department of Justice on Jan. 3 announced a new rule for firearm safety and storage, set to take effect on Feb. 3.
The new rule implements the existing Gun Control Act requirement that imposes strict licensing and regulation on the firearms industry, and states that federal firearms licensees (FFLs) that sell firearms to the general public must certify that they have available secure gun storage or safety device.
The act defines secure gun storage or safety devices as “a device that, when installed on a firearm, is designed to prevent the firearm from being operated without first deactivating the device,” “a device incorporated into the design of the firearm that is designed to prevent the operation of the firearm by anyone not having access to the device,” and “a safe, gun safe, gun case, lock box, or other device that is designed to be or can be used to store a firearm and that is designed to be unlocked only by means of a key, a combination, or other similar means.”
“Not all devices are compatible with varying types of firearms. Therefore, integral to the new rule is the requirement that FFLs have available secure gun storage options that are compatible with the firearms they are selling,” the DOJ said.
In addition, the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives also published a Best Practices Guide for FFLs.
The guide is designed to assist FFLs in “complying with all required firearm laws and regulations that are designed to ensure public safety and the traceability of firearms” and encourage them to “provide customers with ATF publications to help firearms owners better understand their legal obligations,” along with the practical steps they can take to ensure firearms are kept away from prohibited persons and ensure the safe storage of firearms.
According to a November Gallup poll, support for stricter gun control across the United States fell by 15 percentage points to 52 percent in the past five years. Meanwhile, 35 percent of American adults believed laws covering the sale of firearms should be kept as they are currently, while 11 percent favored less strict laws.
A decline in support for stricter gun laws last year came amid a partisan divide on the issue, with 91 percent of Democrats and only 24 percent of Republicans supporting stricter laws.
The DOJ’s enhanced storage rule comes shortly after it was reported that the alleged shooter at Oxford High School in Michigan in November 2021 was said to have acquired the gun he used from an unlocked drawer.
Ethan Crumbley, 15, opened fire at the high school in Oxford on Nov. 30. The shooting left four students dead and seven people wounded.
Prosecutors allege his parents violated the law by purchasing the gun used in the shooting for their son and keeping it in a drawer that was unlocked.
“Today’s announcements build on the department’s efforts to reduce the risk of firearms falling into the wrong hands,” said Attorney General Merrick B. Garland of the DOJ’s announcement. “Gun safety is a Department of Justice priority, and we will continue to take all appropriate steps to help reduce the number of people killed and injured by the misuse of firearms.”

“Gun safety is a Department of Justice priority, and we will continue to take all appropriate steps to help reduce the number of people killed and injured by the misuse of firearms.”​

how many is that a year? quick search showed it was 458 deaths in 2018.

I haven't bought many new guns over the last 20 years but I thought was pretty standard already. Are they making this apply to used guns transferred?
That would be a fucking over reach of galactic porportions if that was the case. How do I make sure your gonna secure it right.

If I sell a gun to you and you don’t secure it correctly and it gets used in a crime, I’m gonna get tossed in jail?

Then on the same hand the da’s of the big cities are basically not charging people when they commit a crime. Wtf

This clown world is accelerating at a exponential rate.

mean what exactly? Every gun sold has to come with a trigger lock?
As I read the OP the FFL has to certify that they carry a trigger lock that works with every gun they sell, so you can buy a trigger lock if you want:
federal firearms licensees (FFLs) that sell firearms to the general public must certify that they have available secure gun storage or safety device.

Aaron Z

I know all new guns come with trigger locks. Didn't know on used guns.

I did know if the quote required is that the FFL has secure storage for their firearms, ie no more loose shotguns on racks. Or if the buyer needs to have safe storage or be provided with a locking divide for the firearm.

The way I read the above and from talking to an ffl friend is it is just enforcing current laws on storage requirements by the ffl. It has nothing to do with the consumer. From my understanding you wont be able to go in to a gun store and finger fuck the guns without the store unlocking it. Whether it be in a case, locked rack or have some kind of lock that prevents it from being operable.

I know all new guns come with trigger locks. Didn't know on used guns.

I did know if the quote required is that the FFL has secure storage for their firearms, ie no more loose shotguns on racks. Or if the buyer needs to have safe storage or be provided with a locking divide for the firearm.
There is no provision in federal law that states how a private owner has to store their firearms.

Reactions: PAE
There is no provision in federal law that states how a private owner has to store their firearms.
I got that but I didn't know if it was a question like when they ask you "is the gun is for yourself". Ie Do you have the capacity to safety store this firearm?

I got that but I didn't know if it was a question like when they ask you "is the gun is for yourself". Ie Do you have the capacity to safety store this firearm?
I dont see anything that even remotely says that.

In Oregon it’s already a law. Some ffl’s charge you a dollar for the lock so they have a record they sent the gun out the door with a lock.

I dont see anything that even remotely says that.
tes that federal firearms licensees (FFLs) that sell firearms to the general public must certify that they have available secure gun storage or safety device.

It doesn't clearly show above who "they" is referring to. The FFL or the Public.

Well it would be pretty hard for an ffl to certify that a customer has secure to storage. The law pertains to FFLs not customers.

In / on California one fills out a safe affidavit and all is right in the liberal utopia.

Well it would be pretty hard for an ffl to certify that a customer has secure to storage. The law pertains to FFLs not customers.

what he say? Can't stand his channel, it's mostly click bait and he never has anything concrete - always speculative and gloom and doom.

what he say? Can't stand his channel, it's mostly click bait and he never has anything concrete - always speculative and gloom and doom.
Yep. Anything to get teh clicks and ad revenue.

Every handgun I’ve bought from an FFL has come with a lock. Every long gun has not. So I’m guessing this will apply to long guns too? I’m going to need a bigger box to store my trigger locks now.. :laughing:

Talked about this with my FFL friend about this and he said he hasn't gotten any official word of what will be required. He said it sounds like he will be required to have a secure storage device for sale in his store. he might just have to have a gunlocker for sale for an exorbinant price in one corner.

Can we apply the same logic to politicians and staffers for the language used in bills? "We're going to have to make sure your dangerous ideas are kept secure so they don't hurt anyone through misuse."

The way I read the above and from talking to an ffl friend is it is just enforcing current laws on storage requirements by the ffl. It has nothing to do with the consumer. From my understanding you wont be able to go in to a gun store and finger fuck the guns without the store unlocking it. Whether it be in a case, locked rack or have some kind of lock that prevents it from being operable.
that's not current law :confused:

the way i read it, they must certify that safe or locks are AVAILABLE. oh, you need me to check this box that says I own a safe? ok. Oh, it's right next to the box stating i've never abused SCHD I drugs, right? yeah...that one.

edit: in short, it looks like my long life of strict legal compliance is finally paying off

that's not current law :confused:

the way i read it, they must certify that safe or locks are AVAILABLE. oh, you need me to check this box that says I own a safe? ok. Oh, it's right next to the box stating i've never abused SCHD I drugs, right? yeah...that one.

edit: in short, it looks like my long life of strict legal compliance is finally paying off
I wasnt clear. I meant enforcing the current storage laws and adding the part about preventing people from just picking a gun up off the rack.

Top Back Refresh